Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2005 9:46:05 AM EDT
your in the 5th poorest country in the world and there is no other setup!

Now I can surf and download music, listen to radio from home, chat on Yahoo messenger and all that other stuff the Army frowns on doing on thier network!

WOO-HOO!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#1]
SWEEEEET!
Glad to hear from ya!

CH
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't know you were military.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I didn't know you were military.

13 years USAR now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#5]
So if your not on the Army's setup, who's are you usin?   Some afghan open a starbucks and put in a WiFI hotspot???
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So if your not on the Army's setup, who's are you usin?   Some afghan open a starbucks and put in a WiFI hotspot???

Its pronanly not far away at the pace some of these guys are moving.

It is acrualy a satellite broadband deal done by a company out of Germany. 110mb download for 30 of us to share.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm sitting under a WiFi emitter at Camp Monteith in Kosovo, as they don't have it up to full power yet.  I had been jonesin' for ARFCOM for 40 days since they shit-canned the old civilian internet provider, which was a GOOD thing, actually.

Ah, ARFCOM, sitting in the sun, drinking a non-alcoholic near-beer.  That's as good as it gets here, as the Commanding General forbids US troops and US armed civilian contractors such as myself from getting any REAL beverages.

Now, to look up how I can get a connection in the jungle out in Sumatra, if I get the job I'm hoping for...

No underground alcohol network?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#9]
lol, this post tells my arfcom story, i finally registered after 2 years of lurking while i was in kosovo in '02, and i spent all last year hunting down places in iraq to get my fix.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm sitting under a WiFi emitter at Camp Monteith in Kosovo, as they don't have it up to full power yet.  I had been jonesin' for ARFCOM for 40 days since they shit-canned the old civilian internet provider, which was a GOOD thing, actually.

Ah, ARFCOM, sitting in the sun, drinking a non-alcoholic near-beer.  That's as good as it gets here, as the Commanding General forbids US troops and US armed civilian contractors such as myself from getting any REAL beverages.

Now, to look up how I can get a connection in the jungle out in Sumatra, if I get the job I'm hoping for...

Use a dish like we bought.... 110MB download speed for the package we got. In fact, the whole system will be for sale at the end of our tour...
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Use a dish like we bought.... 110MB download speed for the package we got. In fact, the whole system will be for sale at the end of our tour...

Excellent sigline, BTW.  Is it a quote or should I quote you?

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I will never forget the day I upgraded from dialup to Cable.  That is to say I won't forget some of it.

I got home from work at about 18:30.

I was actually giddy for the first time in a long time.  I was all over the place on the internet, downloading stuff I didn't even need just to see how long it would take.  Downloading Vid Clips I had already saved surfing websites I never dared try to surf before.  I downloaded music and I even downloaded an entire movie from one of my friends ftp sites and suddenly looked at the clock.

It was almost 04:30.  Sheepishly I called my boss 30 minutes later and told him the truth.  Fortunately he was very understaning about the whole affair and I was allowed to call it a sick day.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top