Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2005 8:57:49 AM EDT
Does anyone actually think the new standards will be worth the cost of all the changes enviromentally?

And I am worried that a start with solder & components will eventually extend to bullets.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Fuck No!!!!!

nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/

Look at the Metal Whisker Failures page and see how many sattelites this policy has destroyed, much less the amount of other equipment that is at risk.

(Sorry, a large bit of my job is dealing with the fallout of replacing lead with tin)
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I work for a major world semiconductor company. The amount of lead we have in our semiconductors produced over a year doesnt even amount to the amount of lead in a car battery. But maybe its a step in the right direction. who knows.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Stupid bastages are pushing the whole ROHS (removal of haz stuff) agenda without fully evaluating the ramifications.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I too think this is so much BS.

Japan is doing it to force capital expenditures to rebuild thier economy. I think we are just going to have more failures.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am worried that a start with solder & components will eventually extend to bullets.

As the world community continues to tighten controls on other sources of lead in the environment, you can count on increased opposition to lead bullets. There are already "environmental concerns" being exressed about the amount of lead at shooting ranges. Occasionally, it has been used as an excuse to close existing ranges and prevent new ones from opening.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't get the big deal over lead
obviously you don't want to eat a block of lead, but it's a naturally occuring element not some complex toxic chemical that only occurs after being created in a lab
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:14:05 AM EDT
[#7]
The biggest irony is the main source of lead in the enviroment, batteries, is getting a pass right now.

My circuit board stuffers are saying the connections are realy going to suffer. Less pollution, (maybe), but a lot less dependable electronics. Lucky us!

I saw where some industries and the military are pleading for extensions. Hopefully they can get 20 year extensions.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Fuck No!!!!!

nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/

Look at the Metal Whisker Failures page and see how many sattelites this policy has destroyed, much less the amount of other equipment that is at risk.

(Sorry, a large bit of my job is dealing with the fallout of replacing lead with tin)

I never thought of anything like that causing euipment to fail in a datacenter...neat.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Lead comes from the ground and then we shoot it back into the ground.  What the hell is the big deal?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top