Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2005 4:53:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:56:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Any luck recovering the DVD?

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:57:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you are right - a CCW probably wouldn't have helped him. Unless maybe he would have been able to sneak it after they had him lie down.

Sometimes you are just screwed no matter what.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:58:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:11:06 AM EDT
[#4]
That's F'd up.
Glad he's o.k.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:11:46 AM EDT
[#5]
 Im sorry, to hear about that..  Im a computer tech with ccw, and i do service calls daily. by boss will not let me carry in our office or on service calls.  At least i can leave the pistol in the car
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:14:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:15:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
...put a gun to his head and told him to get on the floor...and the one behind him told the other they were going to get caught anyway might as well kill these white MF'rs.

He got lucky.  At that point I'd feel that I had no choice.  However at least one of those bad guys would be dead.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:21:01 AM EDT
[#8]
A person who has a concealed permit is generally more likely to be highly aware of their surroundings.  That's the only potential benefit I see in this instance.  Once the robber had his gun trained on the tech there's really no way he could overcome that unless he had some training and lots of practice.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:24:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:28:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:31:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow. Hope he's okay.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:32:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#13]
a pistol would of done your tech no good at all. He was unaware what was around him. If someone has a gun to your head. It's over. all the perp has to do is pull the trigger. Thats gross motor skills. Gross motor skills beats fine motor skills anyday. Exposing the gun , clearing the holster, bringing the muzzle on target. All of that is needed before you have a business end of a gun on you. He needs to be more aware of his surroundings. one of the most important things i teach in my classes.

J
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:34:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Unfortunately, sometimes it takes events like this for us to understand how vulnerable we are and open our eyes to it. Glad nobody was hurt.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:36:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:39:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Was this inner-city Birmingham? just curious ....
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:48:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow. Hope he's okay.

physically he's fine. mentally he is a wreck. said he's been up all night shaking.

I'd be amazed if he keeps working for you. Keep a close eye on him if he does
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:50:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:51:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Dang.  Where was this Beer?  IM me if you need to.

oh

p.s.  Why would you choose to pack a Keltec over say, a Mak?  B/C of weight?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:56:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no this was down 280 at the residence inn. VERY high scale part of town

i never understand why people don't expect crime in nice neighborhoods. If you were a crook... would you rob people in ghetto who are poor ?

J
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:57:24 AM EDT
[#21]
There is no joy in that situatiuon. He did the right thing. Too bad there is not a hardened room he could of fled too, or a buzzer to let the people in at night.  When I worked at a gunshop there wasa glass 2way mirror at the back of the store and the wall was hardened. The idea being that the manager could never be taken by suprise, and had a firing port. Below the window was an 16 in Ar, and a couple of mags. We were all armed too, but it was comforting to know about the payback coming from the backroom in the event of a strongarm robbery.

Something to think about. Also, a counter top that is hardened and had a customer / employee side is easy to make, and esy to defend with a hicap weapon.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:57:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:58:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh

because if i get caught i am fired. no excuses. the mak is NOT a compact pistol. the 380 is very similar in power to the mak round in 1/3rd the size.

Ah, I see.  I need a Keltec (not that I carry here at work, but the Mak is bulky)
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:04:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Could you use this incident as "justification" for the company to pick up some Level IIIA stuff? Heck, maybe even an armored company car?

(seriously, glad your tech is OK)
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Two words: Speed Rock.

Glad your guy is okay. Very poor situtational awareness. Not really sure this guy is a candidate for CCW until he works on that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:06:25 AM EDT
[#26]
It sounds like he was in condition white

He will be stuck on red for awhile

Going cowboy with a gun is not going to help his situational awareness deficit

What he really needs is to review how he ended up with a gun to his head
and figure out how he can keep evil folks from getting the drop on him again.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:06:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh

because if i get caught i am fired. no excuses. the mak is NOT a compact pistol. the 380 is very similar in power to the mak round in 1/3rd the size.

Ah, I see.  I need a Keltec (not that I carry here at work, but the Mak is bulky)

Heh, heh....

Anyway, glad your guy made it home, and glad he may be 'seeing the light' about not going through life as a sheep.....
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:20:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no this was down 280 at the residence inn. VERY high scale part of town

i never understand why people don't expect crime in nice neighborhoods. If you were a crook... would you rob people in ghetto who are poor ?

J

I mentioned "inner-city" Birmingham ... I didnt mention a "ghetto" ... this means businesses near downtown or near inner-city neighborhoods. where I live, most of the crime stays in those areas. We wish it didnt exist. honestly though, its sad, but we all hope it stays there. But it doesnt. it seems to bleed out into the wealthiest parts of town. the middle class neighborhoods seems to be left alone. At least thats the way it is here.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:44:18 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Two words: Speed Rock.

with a gun to your head?

two words:

J
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I was jumped coming out of an employee locker room at a restaurant in Huntsville many years ago. The perp had just snuck in the back door when I opened the locker room door, surprising him! He reacted by putting his gun to my forehead - I thought I was dead meat. He proceeded to round up everyone, rob the safe, and fortunately left without harming anyone. I took me a while to get over that one!

There are many times throughout the day where we are vulnerable - either we are in an environment where we don;t feel threatened, or thinking about something, etc. It is very hard to keep the sit. awareness level up in places that are not obviously dangerous.

Turbok
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#32]
If you can say where did it happen?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Another converted liberal!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Im sorry, to hear about that..  Im a computer tech with ccw, and i do service calls daily. by boss will not let me carry in our office or on service calls.  At least i can leave the pistol in the car

neither does mine.

i ignore it. i'd rather be alive an unemployed than dead.

i carry my keltec during the day, for after hours calls it's my keltec and my 45.

Like my friend said when he stopped by yesterday, better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission in some cases.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
as for my tech, they got his wallett, laptop,toolbag, and the usual, all his credit cards, drivers licesne, and social security card.

I cant believe people still carry their SS card around with them.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Now that your tech is pissed off, maybe this wakeup call will make him pro-gun. (you said he was anit earlier).

BTW:  I think you handled things well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you can say where did it happen?

i posted wrong earlier

it was courtyard marriot in hoover.<just past the gallaria>  i was reviewing his calls this morning trying to get the info for corporate and pulled the wrong one.

See some of the people I work with make fun of me for carrying while walking around the hotel.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#39]

While I was a Store Manager in the Food Service I survived 3 armed robberies here in the Phoenix Area.  During the worst of the three I was pistol whipped.

All the Perps were black.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
...There are many times throughout the day where we are vulnerable - either we are in an environment where we don;t feel threatened, or thinking about something, etc. It is very hard to keep the sit. awareness level up in places that are not obviously dangerous.

Yep! - reality of life.

Another reality is that a firearm isn’t a magic shield that automatically protects you by its mere presence.

Some folks have the idea that robberies/muggings go down something like in the movie “Death Wish” where the bad guys surround the victim, demand money, and then stand there waiting for the victim to draw his firearm and shoot them.

Not so.  A bad guy can stick a firearm in someone’s face with astounding speed.  And, as the cliché goes, you can’t outdraw a trigger squeeze.

The best anyone can reasonably try for is to stack the odds in their favor with things like situational awareness, survival mindset, a readily available firearm that they’re proficient with, and such.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top