Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2005 3:08:40 AM EDT
So I signed up for Netflix 3 weeks ago.  2 out plan.  There's a distribution center within 5 hours of me, so I figure shipping times will be pretty good.

First batch they ship out on Tuesday shows up on Thursday.  Great turnaround time I think.  We watch the two films that night and I put them in the mail on Friday morning when I came home from work.  I figure they'll get them by Tuesday morning at the latest and I'll have two more discs by Friday at the latest.

Monday comes, no email from Netflix.  Tuesday comes, no email from Netflix.  Wednesday comes and no email from Netflix!!!.  So reported the discs as missing, around 5PM.

Thursday morning, I get emails confirming that they have received the "missing" discs.  How convienent.  They don't get them until I report them as missing.  

So they ship out two more that afternoon.  I get them on Saturday (5/14).  We watch them Sunday and I drop them off at the PO Monday morning.

And here it is Friday morning and I've yet to hear from Netflix concerning my returns.  At first I suspected my mailman might have held onto the discs for an extra day.  So I took them directly to the PO.  Doesn't appear to have helped.

I've read quite a bit online about Netflix trying to make sure nobody gets more than one shipment of discs per week.  They're doing me one better by making sure I only get two shipments a month!  Seems that in their drive to add more customers, they're screwing more and more people over.

Thankfully Blockbuster will give me two months free if I cancel my Netflix membership.  And BBO only charges $15 a month for 3 out, plus two in-store rental coupons.

Netflix can kiss my black ass.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:23:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I must be an anomoly then.  I am having good luck with Netflix, but then again I'm only 1.5 hours away...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:26:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Blockbuster is the way to go. You also get 2 in store free rentals a month and they also send you other coupons like buy one get one free on previously viewed movies. I have been a member for 2 months and I have gone through about 25 movies.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:26:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I just don't understand why I can receive my discs in two days, but it takes a week for them to get checked back in.

Am I being penalized for being a fast viewer?  Netflix personel have stated that they do penalize heavy users in favor of newer users.  But hell, I've just been a member for 3 weeks.  

Hell, at least Blockbuster was consistant when I had a trial with them.  Usually took 3 days both ways.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:32:27 AM EDT
[#4]
i was a membe for about a year than the deliveries got slower and slower so i canceled.
i live about 45 mins from the dist. center.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:37:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm about 1 hour from the Indianapolis distribution center.

Sometimes I will mail a disc back one day, they receive it the next day, and I receive my next disc the following day. Other times it takes almost a week.

Netflix does ration discs for "heavy" users.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:43:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys. I was just about to join Netflix this weekend. After reading these stories, it just does not sound like a reliable enough service for me.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:44:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been a member for nearly 2 years.  I've been getting very good service, it's usually 2 days for delivery either way, sometimes 1.   All I know is the dist center is in my city.  Maybe because you are on one of the lower tier plans?

Are you on the 2-at a time, 4 a month plan?  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:47:37 AM EDT
[#8]
i was at 3 out at a time plan.
but most likely fell in the  "heavy" users catergory.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:48:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I live an hour 20 from Indy. We had bad service from them and it got slower and slower.

So did my payment until it stopped.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:52:55 AM EDT
[#10]
no problems here.

Why not go with the 3 plan, better turn around time
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:03:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been using Netflix for a couple of years now. I love it! Occasionally get a cracked DVD or one gets lost in the mail, but they are always cool about it.

Gotta remember that they use the USPS for shipping and we all know how reliable they are..
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:04:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Tag. The GF and I have been debating about switching to Netflix and I am interested in what everyone else has to say.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:06:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Im on the 3 at a time plan.  I only mail back one movie at a time.  I always have 3 new movies waiting by my next weekend.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:07:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been using it for a year now.  They get my discs the next morning, and they are 3 hours away.  It usually takes 2 days for me to recieve them.  The only problems I have experieced are a few discs that were broken in half.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:17:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
i was a membe for about a year than the deliveries got slower and slower so i canceled.
i live about 45 mins from the dist. center.

Same here. In the beginning I'd have movies the next day. I cancelled Netflix and went with Blockbuster, who is even worse (but less money). 90% of the movies I want to rent with Blockbuster have a delay due to demand. Even though Netflix got pretty bad, Blockbuster is even worse.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:36:22 AM EDT
[#16]
In the past I've subscribed to Netflix during the winter, and cancelled as spring arrived (got too busy to watch movies).  However, this year I've noticed that the deliveries have slowed down to a crawl.  Last year I could send back movies on a Monday, and have new movies by Thursday or Friday (3-4 days) - this year, it seems as if the turnaround time is 6 days or so.

I've had more than one incidence of mailing a movie on Monday, another on Wednesday, then receiving notice that they both were received on a Friday,

Not quite as good of a deal as it used to be.  Hadn't heard the rumor about the "one shipment a week", but it certainly seems applicable in my situation,  FWIW, I'm about 250 miles west of one of their warehouses in Denver.

(ETA - I'm on the 3-at-once plan)
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:39:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys. I was just about to join Netflix this weekend. After reading these stories, it just does not sound like a reliable enough service for me.

Don't judge yet. I have never had
a problem with my delivery times.
I always get two day TAT as the
distro center is about three hours
south of me.

I am a very heavy user and I have
never seen the "penalty" except
in the cases of brand new, popular
titles. For example, Appleseed
was released on Tuesday and I
got to yesterday.

Maybe I am lucky.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:47:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:59:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Does Blockbuster rent NC-17 or unrated movies through their online service?

Do they rent censored versions of DVDs?  I know they did/do that with VHS.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I GOT BOTH!!

Blockbuster for videogames, and stuff I want to rent right now, (like something to kill a wednesday evening)

and the Netflix with my queue fro stuff I know I want to see.

I have had zero, I repeat zero problems.

The nearest dist. center is in coppell texas, and it takes about two days round trip.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:33:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Wierd.  Netflix has always been good to me.  Movies are usually here NEXT day after I return one and I've never had a problem with fucked up discs either.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:36:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm on the 4 per month plan and havn't had an issue yet in the 6 months that I've had Netflix. None of the DVD's have been damaged and ship time is usually 1-2 days. They even advertise on Sean Hannity's show, so they can't be anti-conservative.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:37:00 AM EDT
[#23]
I never rent movies.  If it's worth watching, it's worth buying.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:42:04 AM EDT
[#24]
For awhile I had both Netflix and Blockbuster at the same time.  Netflix was really fast for the first couple months when I first got them, but the DEFINITLEY slowed down after awhile.  I'm not paying good money to have them decide when they're going to follow through on their end of the bargain.

I've kept the Blockbuster mostly because of the coupons for two in-store rentals per month.  I usually rent video games with them from the local independently owned Blockbuster franchise (which charges $5.99 to rent games).  They're selection is not nearly as good however; most of the movies in my Blockbuster queue are either a short wait or a long wait.  Neither service is perfect, but Blockbuster is better.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:48:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I like Netflix, have been useing them for about a year. Never a broken disk, and I have only had to wait for a new release twice. When I first joined the turn around was three days, mail it, one day processing, and got the new movie in the third days mail. I answered a survey from them, told them what a great job they were doing, and put the process time down. All of a sudden my turn around time was 5-6 days. I almost cancelled, Now it is back to useally four days, I can live with that. I truly hate Blockbuster, so not going there. To see a seasons worth of a good show (Deadwood, The Wire, 24, etc.) it really the best way to go.
S/F
flyingrhino
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Netflix has been good to me.  I have been a member for some time, and live about 10 miles from a distribution center.  There were a few months last year where the tunaround was really slow.  I do not think it was a grand conspiracy.  I suspect that they added more new customers and did not ramp up for the increased demand.  I am on a 3 plan, but thinking about upgrading so I have a better selection on hand.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't know what Netflix you're using, but it isn't the same as the one I'm using.  We rarely have more than three to four days between dropping them in the mail and getting the new ones--usually two to three.

We stagger, too, on a three-out plan.  So we'll often get a disc almost every other day.

Jim

ETA:  I don't know offhand where the distribution center is, but when we had a scratched DVD we had the replacement in less than 48 hours.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Gotta remember that they use the USPS for shipping and we all know how reliable they are..

Yeah, the same USPS that can get the disc to me in 2 days.

I don't think USPS is the weak link here.

I expected an email today about the discs.  Haven't received one.  If I hear nothing tomorrow, they can kiss my business goodbye.  I'm sure it takes 5 days for the mail to go halfway across VA.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Netflix has been good to me; I've had maybe two scratched DVDs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#30]
I use it with no problems. I send it out one day, I get a new batch in 2 days everytime.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#31]
No matter how fast I turn around a disc, it always takes the entire rest of the week to receive the new ones.  Turn around = 5-6 days, and most times I return my discs at the same time but receive them staggered.

We are on the 3 disc plan, and generally use the movies on Sat and Sun.  I return them on Mondays, and never see new ones until Friday and Saturday.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I just don't understand why I can receive my discs in two days, but it takes a week for them to get checked back in.

Am I being penalized for being a fast viewer?  Netflix personel have stated that they do penalize heavy users in favor of newer users.  But hell, I've just been a member for 3 weeks.  

Hell, at least Blockbuster was consistant when I had a trial with them.  Usually took 3 days both ways.

I send my back the next day. I have blockbuster and netflix.

I find Netflix to be "slightly" faster. Your main issue is with the postal service.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#33]
In two years, only two movies have been a day later than their estimated date. Only one time did a movie get processed late, but it was at Christmas time, so that was probably the reason. Usually they are a day ahead of their delivery date. I'm near Tupelo, MS, they use their GA warehouse with me.

I have the 5-out plan and I am able to rent about 15+ movies a month for the $29.95 fee. My Hollywood store is about 20 minutes away and it's a pain to make a special trip to bring back movies even if they have a 5-day rental period.

One of my buddies joined Netflix recently, he's had a few problems, but because he lives further out in the country, his mail comes in a day later than mine. He's on the 3-out plan. His biggest problem so far was receiving the wrong disk a couple of times. The pouch was labeled correctly, but the wrong disk was in it. He had to put the movies back in his queue before Netflix would ship the correct ones.

We both like the variety that Netflix offers, we like obscure stuff that our video stores don't have, like BBC tv series and Discovery Channel DVD's.

Maybe it's that particular warehouse that's causing the problems?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:58:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Netflix 3-plan here, It works fine for me. I tried Blockbusters version, it also seems to work fine except that they didn't have some movies I wanted, and they are well known for having edited versions of movies.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:06:14 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I always rent movies.  If it's worth watching, it's worth burning.

Fixed that for you.

Netflix user here, 3 at a time plan. Love it, never had a hassl beyond the rare scratched/cracked DVD. Dont think I'll be giving up my Netflix account anytime soon.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:30:56 AM EDT
[#36]
I like netflix, I have been a member/ subscriber since last august, on the 3 at a time plan.
I average about 10 movies a month (during school). Ive only had 1 Disc cracked so far, and as soon as I reported it online, they shipped me a new one without waiting for the damaged one to come back. the turn around time is often 2 days (out in the mail monday, new one on wednesday). Im in tucson ,there is a distro center in phoenix. I personally love it, since I'm in college and only work part time, its great.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:55:28 AM EDT
[#37]
My Netflix account will be terminated next Tuesday.  I've had it.  I can see blaming the PO for maybe taking an extra day to get back to the distribution center.

But seeing as how I put those DVD's in the mail on Monday, the distribution center should have received them by Thursday at the very latest.

I bet if I report them missing on Sunday evening, they will just magically show up Monday morning.

Nope, sorry, not my idea of good service.  Blockbuster is offering two months free to anyone who cancels their Netflix membership and jumps to them.  I'll be taking advantage of that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:45:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Whe my wife mails out birthday cards to people living in my own town, sometimes it takes 2-3 days to arrive.  The USPS isn't the most consistant company I've seen.

Netflix has served me well for over 2 years.  They still consitantly receive the discs on the second day and they arrive at my house 2 days later.

Back when I was copying backing up movies, I averaged 26 movies per month from them.  Of course you could burn faster than watch tham, but it still shows how fast they could get movies out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:48:51 AM EDT
[#39]
3 at a time plane here and no problems.  Two day turn around.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:26:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Three at a time for me.  I haven't been in a rental store in years and I don't miss it.  Of course I don't watch all that new release crap either.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Mailed one out on Monday, another on Wednesday.  Still have not received any notice that they have been received.  If it runs as it has lately, I'll get an email notice on Monday that they have received both of them, and I'll get my new ones next Wednesday or Thursday.

Slowing down wayyyy too much for me.  Last year, if I mailed one out on Monday, I had a new one by Thursday or Friday.  I think I'm going to cancel in the next week or so.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Dropped three in the mail Wednesday morning, got two in the mail yesterday and one today.  Looks like our distro center is in Kansas City MO, which is about two hours from here by car.

Jim
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#43]
I've never had any problems with them at all......I really like Netflix
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#44]
They got the DVD's today.  After I mailed them last Monday.

7 working post office days to get 2 DVD's.  I should mail something to a friend in Charlottesville and see how long it takes to get there.  I bet it gets there a damn sight quicker than 7 days.

Blockbuster, here I come!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#45]
i get 6 to 8 a week from them..
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

7 working post office days to get 2 DVD's.  I should mail something to a friend in Charlottesville and see how long it takes to get there.  I bet it gets there a damn sight quicker than 7 days.

Whether you switch to Blockbuster or not, take the time to drop a note to Netflix about the lag time.

There may be a serious distribution problem that they don't know about.

Jim
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Wal-Mart sold their rental operation to Netflix recently.

Netflix seems for some like a "bait and switch" in that it was good in the beginning and maybe not so good now.  Like when the internet started up and nearly everything was free and life was wonderful, eventually the reality of making a business profit surfaces and our hopes of "the good deal" vanishes.  It's just not right...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#48]
I've had Netflix off and on for several (maybe 4-5 )years. I usually only sign up in the spring and summer since my wife teaches and we never seem to have time to watch movies during the school year.

I've noticed that turnaround times have slowed down over the years but I still really like them. We get the 3 movie plan and try to space out the returns so something is always going out and always coming in.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#49]
blockbuster movie pass if theres one near you.. ulimited rentals.. get a movie walk out, exchange it 4 hours later if you want...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whether you switch to Blockbuster or not, take the time to drop a note to Netflix about the lag time.

There may be a serious distribution problem that they don't know about.

Jim

I did just that.  

IMO, they are delaying check-in in order to limit the amount of rentals per person.

Stupid thing is they sent the emails concerning the last two DVD's I returned this morning.  I canceled my membership as soon as I saw the mails (3PM since I was asleep).  Now it seems they've shipped out two more DVD's.  And since I canceled my membership, these DVD's are due by 5/30 or I'll be charged for them.

Now that is just assinine.  And I told them as much in the email I sent them concerning the slow delivery times.  All I know is that if I do get two more DVD's, they'll be shipped back out ASAP.  I'll probably get them Wednesday.  Bastards. I'd better not be charged for two DVD's.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top