Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2005 11:10:39 PM EDT
Allright, I'm in the need of a new driver and I'm going to buy a Taylor Made, just dont know which one. Between the R5 and the R7. I am leaning towards the R5 just because its more forgiving, but theres something that wants me to get the R7 just to have something cooler and have something to play with.
I'm 6'7" and I swing pretty hard. Planning on going 2" over on shaft length. Probabaly going with a Graffaloy Blue shaft. 8.5 degree loft.

Anyone know of any good gold forums? Good websites for info?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd sell the clubs, buy ammo and shoot the golf balls
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'd sell the clubs, buy ammo and shoot the golf balls

+1

A solid hit from a .45 will make a golf ball disappear from sight......
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Honestly I would go with the Titleist 983K

Right now I use a Mizuno T-Zoid Titanium with a 48" proforce extra stiff shaft.  It swings like a 2x4 but I can hit it a mile.  If I had the money I would stick the shaft on a 983K.  I have used a demo and I can absolutely crush it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Allright, I'm in the need of a new driver and I'm going to buy a Taylor Made, just dont know which one. Between the R5 and the R7. I am leaning towards the R5 just because its more forgiving, but theres something that wants me to get the R7 just to have something cooler and have something to play with.
I'm 6'7" and I swing pretty hard. Planning on going 2" over on shaft length. Probabaly going with a Graffaloy Blue shaft. 8.5 degree loft.

Anyone know of any good gold forums? Good websites for info?

No, but I'm not shocked it took only one post for the above to show up.

Never fear, let any pastime besides guns show up in a GD thread on ARFcom, and some schmuck will show up to piss on it in short order.

As for the driver, I hit the Callaway ERC better than the R7, which is to say I suck with either, but suck less with the Callaway. Not much difference for me with the R5. Wish I could help more, but I have a Grafaloy shaft on mine and like it far more than the original.

Good luck.

SG
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:33:07 AM EDT
[#5]

I have a Adams Red Line driver.
I beat the shit out of that club.

That said, I would take a bunch
to the range and see which ones
you hit the best.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That said, I would take a bunch
to the range and see which ones
you hit the best.

Good advice there......Ping also has new driver out that has been turning some heads.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Bob

Don't know any good golf forums.  And the TM drivers are good.  I own and prefer the Titleist 983 also, but that is a matter of choice.

One thing I would suggest is do NOT just get a 2" overlength club just because you are tall.  It doesn't always work that way.

A decent golf store/club fittter could measure you to see if you need overlength clubs.  Takes seconds.

Course, with a driver it isn't as crucial but still it would be good to know.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a "Big Brother" (big bertha knockoff) medium flex shaft, 10.5 degree loft that I picked up at a pawn shop years ago.  Most of my drives will fly 240-270 and roll another 20-40 yards.  I'm 5'9, 190.  It's fun to have a big guy at the range come over to ask what I'm hitting, and tell them it's a big brother.

What I'd really like to get is one of the new ping's or a nike with a stiff shaft and get consistant 300 yd drives.  I can only do that now with a good tailwind.  I also can't justify spending 400 on just one club.  I spent just a little more than that for a whole set of irons,  Ping I3's.

My 3 and 5 woods are old crappy "trend" brand.  I love the 5 wood.  180 yards off a fairway all day long and straight as an arrow.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Well Im pretty set on getting a Taylormade, I can get killer deals on them. I have hit the Ping G2(?) and the Titelest drivers and I hit the R5 the best out of all of them. But I havent tried the R7.
All my other clubs are 2" over and I have hit my buddies R5 with a 1" over shaft. I still need a bit more.
Well Im about to order it right now. Im thinking Ill just get the R5 now, later if I want Ill get a R7. When I can hit consistant enough to make the features worth it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Remember when club heads were smaller then you actual head and woods were actually made of wood? Not these days.  The fuckers a big and hollow.  I think some of them actually float.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Remember when club heads were smaller then you actual head and woods were actually made of wood? Not these days.  The fuckers a big and hollow.  I think some of them actually float.

I agree.

But I love the sound of a well-struck ball off one of the new drivers...probably because it don't happen often for me.

And I couldn't hit a persimmon driver for shit, anyway. :)

SG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top