Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2005 5:12:31 PM EDT
SBC charges me a 911 fee each month when I used the regular landline service.
I switched to VoIP and I pay only $12/month for unlimited in-state calls and LD is only 4 cents a min.
There's no 911 but I have my cellphones for that. Even then, 911 usually results in some JBT saying that it will take awhile for them to get to my location... or they have no idea where my location is nor do they know how to get there or just plain don't feel like it.
News flash: 5 min is too long, how in the world do they think 15 min is a good response time???

FCC just ruled that VoIP providers must provide 911 service.
How much do you want to bet that this will just raise the monthly service cost?????

What good is 911 if the LEOs don't know where you live or your location or they don't feel like going there?
Yes, this happened to me.
They needed me to explain my location and how to get there.
Another time, they didn't feel like going to the location to file the report.

In my book, 911 is a good idea for Fire/EMS but should not incur any extra fees on the bill. If it does, there should be the option for the customer to NOT pay for 911. I can go on eBay and buy a cell phone just for free 911 service. Why the FUCK do I need to pay some lame-brain money sucking telco for 911 service? Yes I do get transferred to MSP if I dial 911 on a cell, but so far they've transferred me to local PDs in less than 5 seconds.

It's a damn good thing MI is a rifle friendly state. I certainly would not want to depend solely on 911 for help in case of a real emergency... like zombies knocking on the door.

Again, I like 911 for Fire/EMS because those are vital and necessary services to the public. Not everyone is equipped/experienced to fight fires or perform emergency rescue (nor do they want to assume the liability). However, time and time again I find myself asking why am I paying so much money in taxes to support the PDs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top