Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2005 3:10:12 PM EDT
So I am listening to my local news on the radio.

They cops were looking for 4 armed men and finally found them.  Amongst the weapons they say they had a shotgun with a homemade silencer.

Now...I'm not expert but...how effectuive is a silencer for a shotgun?

I never heard of such a thing!

I wounder if it was just a coke bottle?

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So I am listening to my local news on the radio.

They cops were looking for 4 armed men and finally found them.  Amongst the weapons they say they had a shotgun with a homemade silencer.

Now...I'm not expert but...how effectuive is a silencer for a shotgun?

I never heard of such a thing!

I wounder if it was just a coke bottle?

SGat1r5

It would have to be a large coke bottle to fit over the muzzle.  Sounds like local news is wrong.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, the SEALS experimented with something along these lines in the Viet Nam era, but the thing required expanding full length brass shells to contain the blast, in addition ot a muzzle device.

Certainly beyond the ability of your local crooks, it would seem.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen telescoping 12ga rounds... with a plug and a tube that didn't let any gas escape.

But any kind of a can on the end of a shotty is gonna get blocked by the wad and have a big ass 1" diameter hole anyway.

Should have called it a homemade grenade.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
A silencer would only work with a shotgun if it was shooting slugs only.

A substantial amount of gas goes right around the shot charge, even using a shot cup.

Not to mention that shot would probably damage the silencer in short order. The ports to let the gas into the silence from the bore would shred the shot cup like a cheese grater.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#5]
A silencer on a shotgun?

Wouldn't it be better described as a pipe bomb?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, the news story is correct.  Such a muzzle device would eventually cause a KB, rendering the gun silent (permanently).
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I have no idea how legit this company is (very little info given). Maybe someone else knows?

www.sai.dk/silencers/shotgun.php

Shotgun silencers

The shotgun silencers.

SAI manufactures shotgun silencers for 12 caliber single barrel shotguns, the silencer is also suitable for lesser caliber single barrel shotguns

This line is only suitable for shotguns and may not be used for other firearms.

Common to all is steel tube, and aluminium baffle set up and blued surface.

The SAI shotgun silencer is fitted with allen-screw clamping, only the front sight is removed. Can be fitted to most single barrel shotguns, pump, semi-automatic and single shot.

SAI recommends the silencer to be used with sub-sonic cartridges.

Data sheet for standard shotgun SAI silencers:
Model Fiting Thread Diameter Length Weight
12 caliber Allenscrew none 50 mm 455 mm 475g

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Is this the same news source that called an AK-47 an "SKS" an "illegal assault wepaon in California?"

On a side-note, I emailed the producer of that story about it and he said I didn't know what I was talking about.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#9]
KFBK 1530 radio station based out of Sac.

It was the COP that called it a home made silencer

SGatr15
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#10]
you can take a three liter coke bottle, cutting the bottom off, pack in tissue paper and wrap the whole thing in black duct tape, put it on a pump shotgun like a winchester 1300. Use a slug and you will hear a muffled boom and there will be no blast(no fire).

and no it wasn't me, I didn't do anything. I just watched
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Some time ago (a few years) SWAT magazine had an article featuring a purpose-built silenced shotgun.  It was supposed to be in use with LA County Sheriffs.  I'm sure someone else here remembers it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#12]
My class II mfr/dealer (NFA weapons) made a silenced 410 shotgun.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Dan Young, of Young's Manufactering (many of you may know him from his exceptional AR parts) makes and sells a 12 G shotgun suppressor. I've tried it on one of his scatterguns and it works pretty well. I think he was selling them for around 1K. Not sure if he offers them any longer.

They were pretty big for a suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Dan Young, of Young's Manufactering (many of you may know him from his exceptional AR parts) makes and sells a 12 G shotgun suppressor. I've tried it on one of his scatterguns and it works pretty well. I think he was selling them for around 1K. Not sure if he offers them any longer.

They were pretty big for a suppressor.

Obviously you haven't seen some of the original silencers from when they were first invented.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#15]
nope, they do exist, they cut the noise down to something akin of a .38
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top