Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2005 12:22:59 PM EDT
Right. So I need to get a washer and a dryer. I don't want to fork over the big bucks for something that is top of the line, but I also want to avoid the 'Hesse' of washers/dryers, so what name brands should I look at, and are they any that I should avoid?Also, is there any reason to stay away from the combo units (one stacked on the other), or are they OK?

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Roper.  Industrial Grade workhorses.  I swear by them as does my repair guy (he has fixed a heating element in a dry once in 6 years).  No frills, get the clothes clean and dry machines at an affordable price.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]
You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Kenmore-Sears
Go to Home Depot or Lowes they are battling each other for marketshare and have pretty good deals.............
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag, I'm going to be upgrading my washer and dryer in about a year or so.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Muy Barato Lavar de los Ropas.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Roper.  Industrial Grade workhorses.  I swear by them as does my repair guy (he has fixed a heating element in a dry once in 6 years).  No frills, get the clothes clean and dry machines at an affordable price.

Roper is made by Whirlpool..........great choice.
Look at the box....they come from the same plant.  Just lower end product but basically the same parts with less frills.  I worked in appliances while in school.  And Roper/Whirlpool is as low as I would suggest going.  BTW I have 2 WP machines that are over 10 years old and get used heavily/daily.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
will.state.wy.us/platte/WTWeb/JanetteChambers/chambers29.jpg

www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2004/10/28/hillshoist_wideweb__430x256.jpg

Ah, pastoral Croatia...

We have an appliance store that sells Roper near me, so I'll put on the haggling-hat and grab the mossberg and see what price I can get. No frills is all I need...

P.S.

Frigidaire washers and dryers any good? Same place also has some pretty cheap Frigidaire stuff.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You get what you pay for.

I was going to say the exact thing.  Buy once, or buy often.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Insert the name of the river nearest your home, and alarge flat rock!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Detroit River.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Muy Barato Lavar de los Ropas.

Kinda beat me to it, I was gonna say "Maria"
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Detroit River.

Watch out for Brown Trout and White Mice, I here they can be quite nasty this time of year.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#15]
The cheapest brand I have found is the 'used' brand.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Just bought a new washer/dryer set...arrghhh...the odyssey!
OK from whay I've learned;
Whirlpool makes Kenmore
Maytag Neptune washers have LOTS of complaints (google maytag neptune and you'll see)
Front loaders wash more clothes than top loaders with less water (water is pricey here so that's an issue) and they spin more efficiently shortening dryer time
Dryers...pretty much all the same (all brands) except for size...and not to open *that* can of worms but
um...well...bigger is better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top