Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2005 7:52:50 AM EDT
from www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/2800/2899.htm

Ruger XGI semi-automatic carbine

The gun it's a very rare, experimental RUGER XGI semi-automatic carbine. Advertised in Ruger's 1984 catalogue, the Ruger XGI was originally started as a 7'62x51mm-NATO rifle that was in direct competition with the Springfield armories M1A1 or M14, and there was a patent violation by Ruger that caused the weapon not to be mass produced and made available to the public. On a side note, the XGI in .243-Winchester had been advertised to be available in 1985. The project re-spawned years after, when SturmRuger was commision to create the MINI-30 under request of the U.S. Naval Special Warfare Command as a weapon that Navy SEALs could take into Warsaw Pact countries and have the ability to use the enemies own ammo and magazines once the operator was out of his own ammo. The Military Version of the Ruger Mini-30 has the ability to use AK47 magazines.

Photo and information from: Pierangelo Tendas

Until I can get a M1A for $500 or less, I really wish ruger would re-examine this issue.

The world needs a good .308 battle rifle at a good cost.

The g3/cetme is uncomfortable to shoot, and doesn't have a last-round bolt hold-open.

Other .308 BR's are too expensive.

The XGI had a lot of promise....

If they could have got around any patent issues, the issue of metal fatigue, put a straighter stock on it, and made it accurate, while (most importantly, IMHO) incorporating their excellent scope-mount system, I would love to have one...

Rumors on the internet are that there are a pile of XGI's in the ruger factory.

Comments?

I remember seeing the XGI advertised in magazines breifly when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want a cheap, reliable .308 rifle/carbine, check out the Saiga .308.

Mine has a 16" barrell, synthetic stocks, and I got it for under $300 OTD.

Sure, mags only hold 9 rounds, but it's an AK!!!  No worries there

ETA:  Had no clue the mini-30 was developed for the SEALs
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

<---can't bring himself to buy an ugly, clunky gun, even if it is uber-reliable.

<---doesen't like inaccurate rifles, either.

(my mini-30 shot near-MOA w/ norinco ball...shoulda kept it)

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<---can't bring himself to buy an ugly, clunky gun, even if it is uber-reliable.

<---doesen't like inaccurate rifles, either.

(my mini-30 shot near-MOA w/ norinco ball...shoulda kept it)

I've never shot for groups with it, but I would predict "average" accuracy, probably 2-3" at 100yds with irons.  Acceptable for SHTF.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
incorporating their excellent scope-mount system, I would love to have one...

Boy, that's a can-o-worms there!

You'd be amazed how far from being straight a lot of those dovetails are!
They'd be far better incorporating a (straight) Picatinny rail.

But, yes, if they could fulfill all the desires you've expressed for ~$500, the world would indeed be a better place.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I want to say it was back in the mid 80's that the XGI was supposed to debut. Ruger put a bunch of press and hoopla out about it way before it was even supposed to come out, which it never did. I kind of remember there eventual "spin" on when it did not come out as it had too many problems and would not function reliably. I do not recall the patent infringement, but that definately sounds plausible. I want to say the XGI was supposed to be a "big brother" to the Mini 14. It would seem that if the Mini 14 had no patent infringement issues, the XGI would not either. Just a guess????? I would hate to see what they spent on a rifle that never ever made it to market, I bet it was a ton.

As I recall as well, there was a bunch of the same press and hoopla when Ruger first announced the P85 9MM pistol. It was touted to be a "double nine" that would cost around $200 or so. This was back in the day before the .40 S&W and everyone was after the high capacity 9MM. Even though the P85 did eventually come out, as I recall, there was still some improvements made as there were problems with the very first pistols.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#6]
The reason the XGI get it ex-Govt.- issue never came to be was try as Ruger might they could not get the accuracy they desired out of it, So they scrapped the project, at least thats what I recall from the era.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
incorporating their excellent scope-mount system, I would love to have one...

Boy, that's a can-o-worms there!

You'd be amazed how far from being straight a lot of those dovetails are!
They'd be far better incorporating a (straight) Picatinny rail.

But, yes, if they could fulfill all the desires you've expressed for ~$500, the world would indeed be a better place.

IF DONE RIGHT it's a great way to mount traditional optics.

Fabbing an adapter for an EOTech, etc wouldn't be too hard.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:35:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I remember reading they had some breakage problems, gas piston?  I know a lot of people were looking forward to buying an affordable near-M1A.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Interesting thread.

A .308 battle rilfe that's not an M1A, FAL, CETME or anything else.
I don't remember the XGI, but have to say that I don't like the looks of it.
Personally, I like the aesthetics of the shorter bbl on the mini 30.

I'd wonder about the marketability of a .308 mini 30 type rifle with a forward mounted optic ala' the socom 16. I'd buy one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Interesting thread.

A .308 battle rilfe that's not an M1A, FAL, CETME or anything else.
I don't remember the XGI, but have to say that I don't like the looks of it.
Personally, I like the aesthetics of the shorter bbl on the mini 30.

I'd wonder about the marketability of a .308 mini 30 type rifle with a forward mounted optic ala' the socom 16. I'd buy one.

Funny, but what bugs me about the SOCOM 16 and other similar rifles is how high the optics are above the bore.

Straighter stocks would help a lot, I think.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The reason the XGI get it ex-Govt.- issue never came to be was try as Ruger might they could not get the accuracy they desired out of it, So they scrapped the project, at least thats what I recall from the era.

I would hate like hell to see the accuracy that would dissapoint Ruger.

If that was the case, then most of the current Ruger line should be scrapped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top