Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 4:02:49 AM EDT

I live in a small “U” shaped neighborhood connected to a busy road.  There’s a total of 54 houses in the suburbs (45 min North of Philadelphia). On the way home from work I saw one of the neighbor’s wives, Mrs. H walking along the main road and looking distressed.  I parked in my driveway and went to see what was wrong.

She lost the family’s year old African Grey Parrot.  It was last seen flying across the busy street.  Her husband and son were speeding home.  She looked like she was going to have a grief-induced aneurysm.

I told Hank, Boomhauser, Dribble, and Dale a few of the other fathers on the street what was going on and we organized a search party.  A mess of kids joined the search.  That lasted for a few hours.  Mosquitoes, dinner, darkness and cold ended the fun.  Mrs. H kept looking.

At 7:30 I saw that the whole H family was around a Douglas Fur tree on the corner of the busy road.  They were going to get squished by a car.  I grabbed a couple of flashlights and went down to help.  

The bird was sitting on the limb 25ft off the ground, screeching and stretching-out to the owners.  It was begging for food and saying “eat … eat … eat”.  It would not fly down.

Their son tried to climb the tree and couldn’t get above the 10ft. mark (stupid fur tree snaps if you don’t stay right on the trunk, and the parents are worry warts).

After 10 minutes I said “Let me try and climb up there.”  I had to ignore the protests of the scaredy cats.  My childhood consisted of climbing every tree I could find.  It finally paid off.  I got my 236lbs. of I-used-to-be-in-shape-now-I'm-a-fat-ass up to the branch.

I shook the branch.  I swayed the tree.  I cursed at the bird.  Damn thing would not let go.  I had to bend the limb it was on all of the way to the trunk while dangling.  The little bugger latched on to my jacket then started climbing up to my neck.  

I forgot to mention, I’m kind’a scared of birds with beaks the crack walnuts.  

All I could picture was the coroner’s report “Severe internal hemorrhaging from the fall and a missing earlobe.”

No bites.  Tickled the living daylights out of my neck, but no bites.

When I reached the ground the family couldn’t thank me enough.  On the walk back to my house every neighbor that helped in the search came out to the street to see the bird and pat me on the back.  It was really cool.  

Looking back at the post I realize that the whole story sounds lame.  “Guy climbs tree and catches pet bird.”  Well, it was one of those little things that happens in life that makes you feel really good.  

What’s happened to you that’s similar?  Little victories of which you were secretly proud.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:05:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I picked up this worm that was crawling across the pavement today and threw him into the grass.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:06:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:07:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I got my 236lbs. of I-used-to-be-in-shape-now-I'm-a-fat-ass up to the branch.

Looking back at the post I realize that the whole story sounds lame.  “Guy climbs tree and catches pet bird.”  Well, it was one of those little things that happens in life that makes you feel really good.  

What’s happened to you that’s similar?  Little victories of which you were secretly proud.

that's not lame
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:09:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Good on ya.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:14:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's not lame

If this happened 3 weeks ago it would have been different.

"I got my 250lbs half way up the tree before the tree bent down to the ground and Mr. H plucked the bird off the branch."

Thanks Mens Helth On-line diet/exercise plan.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:17:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's not lame

+1

Wouldn't it have been easier to just draw down on the bird???.........................
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:23:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What, you didn't have a shotgun with you?  

"I'll ge 'em down"

BOOM!!

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:35:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What, you didn't have a shotgun with you?  

"I'll ge 'em down"

BOOM!!

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:38:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I assume you were out of tannerite.

G23c
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:50:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Exclusive Picture from the Bucks County Courier Times of the actual African Gray rescued by Tacberry (note - picture may not represent actual African Gray rescued) :

The relieved owner, Mrs. H., expressing her impatience at the bravery of the Arfcom member in attempting to recover the bird:

Mrs. H was quoted as saying, "If I didn't have all this extra chainmail on I would have done it myself. Now I'll be paying for bird psychiatry sessions for the next 3 years! Wheres my lawyer"

RJ
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:02:12 AM EDT
[#11]
It's barbecue time!  Those things taste a lot like chicken.

Good job, and congrats on the weight loss!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:05:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That's a really neat web site.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:13:24 AM EDT
[#13]
My 229lb fat ass says job well done. Small heroes in the neighborhood is what this world needs.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:20:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's not lame

If this happened 3 weeks ago it would have been different.

"I got my 250lbs half way up the tree before the tree bent down to the ground and Mr. H plucked the bird off the branch."

congrats on the 14lb loss and keep up the hard work to lose more.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:25:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey good job.  You know what I read while reading your post?  I read "Neighbors ban to gether to help each other out."  How nice.  It sounds as if you live in a great neighborhood, that you know who your neighbors are and you care for them and like wise.  Might not be much but in this day and age, its more than most can say!

Patty
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:59:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hey good job.  You know what I read while reading your post?  I read "Neighbors ban to gether to help each other out."  How nice.  It sounds as if you live in a great neighborhood, that you know who your neighbors are and you care for them and like wise.  Might not be much but in this day and age, its more than most can say!

Patty

Thanks.  My neighborhood is great.  Kind'a like a Wrinkle in Time ... very 1950's.  The only difference is the number of working moms.  All the kids play together (my 3yo runs with the 4-11 yo's) and my backyard is the favorite haunt.

When the wife and I wanted to buy a house we drove all over the area and picked this neighborhood as our favorite.  Every night we'd do a loop through it to see if any houses were for sale.  We missed the first one by 8 hrs.  The house we bought was the nasty one.  We saw the sign being placed in the yard and asked the realtor if we could walk through while he was still pushing it in the ground.  2 hours later we gave them a bid.  4 years later the house is done in better shape, and the housing values have doubled.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you want to check it out use "tacberry" to sign up, I'd appreciate it.

I did the Atkins thing a year and a half ago and did great, 254 to 208.  Thing is, Atkins does not teach you how to eat healthy or moderate.  There's just no way it's healthy for ya'.  I got up to 250 in a few months.  

I realized that I'm not getting younger (turning 34 this year) but I am getting fatter and bing 6'4" can't hide it forever.  So, time to do something.  

I've never bought so much produce in my life.  Fruit, vegetables, lean protein, moderate fat … and actual exercise ... Who’d a thunk it?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you want to check it out use "tacberry" to sign up, I'd appreciate it.

I did the Atkins thing a year and a half ago and did great, 254 to 208.  Thing is, Atkins does not teach you how to eat healthy or moderate.  There's just no way it's healthy for ya'.  I got up to 250 in a few months.  

I realized that I'm not getting younger (turning 34 this year) but I am getting fatter and bing 6'4" can't hide it forever.  So, time to do something.  

I've never bought so much produce in my life.  Fruit, vegetables, lean protein, moderate fat … and actual exercise ... Who’d a thunk it?

Keep it up bud....I'm down 16 pounds as of this AM...but I have a lot farther to go than you
The exercise thing is really helping me out too.  The treadmill is working great. I need to get into the weight training like you are doing.
So...where do you want to go for dinner tomorrow night with the girls?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I would say that took some balls.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Fire Mission on tango VonEisen88 requested by Tacberry.

Rounds inbound.

Rounds on Target. Fire for effect!

NOTE: Fire mission was authorized by Tacberry, executed by Hepcat85 with glee!

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I had to shoot some puppies that had some sort of nervous disorder, but was able to save two after the mom abandoned them.  Good mascots, and they bark at everything that comes near the compound.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had to shoot some puppies that had some sort of nervous disorder, but was able to save two after the mom abandoned them.  Good mascots, and they bark at everything that comes near the compound.

Proud of saving two or shooting some?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I forgot to mention, I’m kind’a scared of birds with beaks the crack walnuts.  

All I could picture was the coroner’s report “Severe internal hemorrhaging from the fall and a missing earlobe.”

That was funny as hell
No......it didn't sound even a little bit "lame"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top