Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 3:07:53 AM EDT
Senate To Pursue Gun Ownership Law for D.C.

Some Senate Republicans are preparing to launch an assault on the District's gun laws.

Senators Kay Bailey Hutchison and John Cronyn of Texas and George Allen of Virginia are signing on as sponsors of the District of Columbia Personal Protection Act of 2005.

The measure would repeal the District's prohibition against most private handgun ownership. It's similar to a measure with 123 co-sponsors in the House.

Supporters of the measure say the legislation will restore the Second Amendment rights of District residents guaranteed by the Constitution.

District business leaders joined the city's elected officials last May to help turn back similar legislation. They cited D.C.'s high homicide rate and problems with youth violence in opposing the measure.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:55:45 AM EDT
[#1]
If guns are the problem in DC, with its high crime rate, then why, right over there in Virginia, with its "lax gun laws" and "easy access to guns" is the crime rate so much lower? Hmmm???
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:57:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The measure would repeal the District's prohibition against most private handgun ownership.

If handguns are banned from ownership in D.C., then I'm guessing there is no gun crime occurring these days in D.C. right????

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:01:59 AM EDT
[#3]
No no no, you got it all wrong-  You gotta think like a liberal- see since guns are coming over from VA then we need to ban guns there too!  And since that would mean guns would come in from whatever neighboring state with "lax" gun laws, then we need to just ban all guns period!

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:11:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:21:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
District business leaders joined the city's elected officials last May to help turn back similar legislation. They cited D.C.'s high homicide rate and problems with youth violence in opposing the measure.

Why is my head spinning after reading this?

Because you used your brain, silly.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:21:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
[Some Senate Republicans are preparing to launch an assault on the District's gun laws.

Senators Kay Bailey Hutchison and John Cronyn of Texas and George Allen of Virginia are signing on as sponsors of the District of Columbia Personal Protection Act of 2005.

The measure would repeal the District's prohibition against most private handgun ownership. It's similar to a measure with 123 co-sponsors in the House.

Supporters of the measure say the legislation will restore the Second Amendment rights of District residents guaranteed by the Constitution.

If I were in their shoes, I would be on this as well; its gotta suck to work in DC  as a member of Congress and not be able to carry.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:43:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm in DC right now and let me tell you, if I could carry here I sure as hell would.  There's some odd stuff that goes down around here.  Most of the problems I see come from mentally disturbed people, not criminals.  Of course, I am in the "good" part of the city.  The other problem is those damn professional panhandlers.  Don't get me started on that.  MJD
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:25:02 AM EDT
[#8]
This same measure passed the House last session, but the Senate didn't pick it up (or was it vice versa?). Anyway, it will most likely pass.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If I were in their shoes, I would be on this as well; its gotta suck to work in DC  as a member of Congress and not be able to carry.

why don't you ask Fienswine about that one. she has no problems getting guns in D.C., especially when it comes to the chance to show how competent she is with gun safety.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:54:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is my head spinning after reading this?

Because you used your brain, silly.

I've read a lot of dumb shit in my day, but WTF are they (not) thinking?  Business leaders?  Like store owners, small businessmen, ?  If I owned ANY retail store in DC, I'd sure as shit want a weapon at hand.

Stupid m-fers.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

why don't you ask Fienswine about that one. she has no problems getting guns in D.C., especially when it comes to the chance to show how competent she is with gun safety.

That incident doesn't even merit discussion as it relates to the ban; it was totally a photo op, and they can bring in anything they want and line it up on a table for PR purposes, no mater what ban they have in place.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[Some Senate Republicans are preparing to launch an assault on the District's gun laws.

When I worked on the Hill, I knew quite a few folks who had been mugged.  Once you get off the Hill and the Capitol Police protection, you're a target.  

Luckily for me, my roomate was in the Secret Service.  One of the anointed few who could carry in DC.  We avoided being carjacked near Georgetown one night because he was armed.  He not so gently arrested the cocksucker on the spot.  I've never seen a more shocked look on a person's face when my buddy pulled his Sig from concealment.  He obviously was not used to armed prey.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone have a list of the co-sponcers of this? i'd like to check to see if my Sen. is on the list. That way if he's not I can remind him of what he told be back when the AWB renewal was being debated nd hopfuly get him to sign on to this bill.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Is there a provision in the DC statute that allows politicians to possess firearms?

Are there special provisions that allow politicians to possess firearms in Federal buildings?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#15]
May 19, 2005
Forced to leave gun in Texas, Hutchison has plan
Associated Press

WASHINGTON — She may be able to hang a giant Lone Star flag outside her office, but Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison said today there's one part of her Texas culture she couldn't bring to the nation's capital — her handgun.

Hutchison said she didn't know when she arrived from Austin in 1993 that the District of Columbia prohibits keeping a fully assembled handgun in the home. The district's ban has been in place since 1975.

Hutchison, a Republican who is considering a 2006 run for Texas governor, introduced legislation today to lift the ban. If the bill passes she said she would keep a gun in her D.C. home.

Sens. John Cornyn, R-Texas, and George Allen, R-Va., are co-sponsors.

"I have always had a handgun in the drawer next to my bed, and I would certainly again have one if it were legal in D.C.," Hutchison said.

Her office said her handgun is a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum revolver.

Hutchison said after she learned of the D.C. gun ban, she dismantled her gun, bought a travel case for it and took it back to Texas. She said she's complying with the law even though she thinks it's unconstitutional.

"I think every woman in the District of Columbia should have the ability to protect herself in her home," she said.

Her office later clarified that in her home in Dallas, Hutchison keeps her gun in a safe with a trigger lock, high above the reach of her two young children. Her office also said she would do the same in Washington if her bill becomes law and she is still living there.

Hutchison previously served as chair of the Appropriations subcommittee that oversees funding for the District of Columbia.

A similar attempt at repealing D.C.'s gun ban failed last year. Hutchison lends the clout of a member of the Republican leadership — she is the vice-chair of the Republican Conference — and her measure has 25 co-sponsors.

Cornyn's office said he has several types of guns and rifles and keeps them in an "undisclosed location."

www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3189714
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there a provision in the DC statute that allows politicians to possess firearms?

NO

Which is why a lot of politicos are lining up behind this bill.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#17]
EDITED TO ADD:

There is a special exemption for Senator Jay Rockefeller of West Virginia.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#19]
If Diane can have an AK, there is no reason for Kay not to have her .357 Magnum.  Fair is fair... or is fairness only for Demorats?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Its high time these folks realized a legaly armed citizen is a good thing.Now if we can get the ball rolling in Kali.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
EDITED TO ADD:

There is a special exemption for Senator Jay Rockefeller of West Virginia.

CRC

He's not the only one pal,  Dianne gets to carry to.  She had herself  deputized so she could be the only non-working LEO in her county allowed to carry.

That was not in DC! She cannot own a gun legally in DC. She had her gun whilst Mayor of San Franciso.

Rockefeller got an exemption for an AR-15 rifle.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm here to tell you that I used to be a conscientious objector to virtually every DC gun law when I lived in the city. F'em.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top