Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2005 11:38:10 PM EDT
For those with first hand experience, how much better is component video than S video?

Good enough to justify buying new cables?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Component is used professionally.
S-VHS is semi pro.
Yea its good enough to justify the green.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Suppossedly S Jacks are better than component.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

According to everything I have read, Component is to S video as S video is to RCA cables.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to everything I have read, Component is to S video as S video is to RCA cables.

Really? I was told the opposite. I have component in one room and S in the other. I can't tell the difference.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? I was told the opposite. I have component in one room and S in the other. I can't tell the difference.

Component is good
S is okay.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No

S-video is better that composite(RCA), component is better than S.

Most DVD players now have component output so if your TV has component inputs and many now do you will get a better picture with the component video over S-video.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:43:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Going from an RF input to S-Video will amaze you. Going from S-Video to Component is an improvement, but not as spectacular as the first step. Still worth it IMO, especially if you own a large screen TV.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, my TV is non HDTV, so I just wonder if I will really be able to tell a difference.

And I don't know if I can take the cables back if I open them.  That is if I buy them in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well, my TV is non HDTV, so I just wonder if I will really be able to tell a difference.

And I don't know if I can take the cables back if I open them.  That is if I buy them in the first place.

If your eyes are still good you will see the differance.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can tell a big difference between the S video and RCA cables.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can tell a big difference between the S video and RCA cables.  

The improvement will not be as great as the difference between S video and RCA but it is a visible improvement.

Are you hooking up a progressive scan DVD player? If so the component video route is well worth it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The improvement will not be as great as the difference between S video and RCA but it is a visible improvement.

Are you hooking up a progressive scan DVD player? If so the component video route is well worth it.

+1   look, we agree on something bro  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:07:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yes, just bought a new player/recorder yesterday.  Old player was PS capable, but I never bothered since it was a POS.

I've already got my audio sounding much much better just by not plugging in both the analog audio cables and the digital coax.

Yeah, I'm a goof.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought component cables today, TV can't handle progressive scan.  Screen looks scrambled.

Picture wasn't all that much better than with the S video as well.  Will probably end up taking the component cables back.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

"I'll take 'wrong answer' for $500, Alex."
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Component is one step better than S-Video, but not a huge jump up.  You should be able to see it, though.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You might be thinking of composite video,  aka standard RCA jacks.  You should be able to see a definite difference between composite and S-Video.  If you can't, it might be time for a new TV.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Just a bit of info scince I install tv's for a living. S-video can produce up to 450 lines of resolution while component cables can produce 600 lines of resolution. Both are dependent on the materials used in manufacturing process. i.e.( a monster video s-video cable will give you a better picture than a Wal mart component set.)
 p.s. any hd ready tv can take advantage of progressive scan  ,a deffinate improvement  over the common interlace method and it the best analog picture you can achieve. Hope this helps.
-sigadvantage-
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:16:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Component allows the transmission of a better picture...however, that very much depends on the source.  Transmit a non-digital signal through component and it will look like crap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top