Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2005 8:35:00 PM EDT
If you are a member of the NRA kindly call up our little organization and give them a kick in the ass.  They seem to have NO INTEREST in protecting the 2nd amendment.  There is a House of Representatives Bill #1703 of 2005 introduced to reinforce the 2nd amendment.  The bill will remove the words "for sporting purposes" from what ARMS we are 'ALLOWED' to own.  In other words, it makes it clear that the 2nd amendment is NOT ABOUT SPORTING GOODS and the right to hunt deer.

I called the NRA - they didn't care.  Said the bill would never pass and they were more interested in protecting gun manufactureres from liability suites and also, opening up the restrictive gun laws in Washington DC.  

Great - get Washington DC (the murder capital of America) armed, but screw the 280 MILLION Americans that are supposed to be protected by the 2nd amendment.

CALL THE NRA - please ask them what are they doing about HR 1703 and protecting our rights!
1-877-672-2000
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
NRA is currently controlled by deep pocketed collectors and class III dealers who don't want the NFA registration reopened so that their 'exclusivity' and obscene profits will be protected.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The bill you are talking about is in committee and the Republican leadership will never bring it out of committee.  So what is the NRA supposed to do?  Tell all the Republican's and the Bush administration that they will have the members vote against them next time?  Then who would be left for us to vote for?

The Republican leadership knows we have nowhere else to go and they have no interest in moving the bill.  The NRA has already pressured them on the issue and gotten a firm NO back from them.  So what is there to do?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
NRA is currently controlled by deep pocketed collectors and class III dealers who don't want the NFA registration reopened so that their 'exclusivity' and obscene profits will be protected.

This has to be the dumbest reason the NRA did or didn't do something, plus it has nothing to do with the original post, plus the NRA is controlled by skeet shooters and hunters who don't want to be seen as too extream.  We could only hope there were enough Class 3 dealers and collectors to gain control of the NRA.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Just fired off a message to them,  they answer alot of the time so see what they say.  I want to know too,  been sending all RNC letters for cash back empty with a note about how they suck on not forcing the votes for judges issue.  Joe

I own a class III and my friends who are also owners are all NRA members who would love to start registering new machine guns.   Joe
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
For such a huge org the NRA dosent seem to get a lot of shit done.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Backed ending the assault weapons ban and they had alot to do with it ending.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#7]
It what the NRA prevents from getting done is what makes them effective.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Since they work behind the scene and through state organizations that is the image they want the public see.  Otherwise as soon as the NRA popped up in a state the anti's would be screaming that "people from out of state are trying to decide our local issues", "out of state money influences the election", "high powered washington lobbists control local officials", and so on.  It happens every time the gun issue comes up.  Of course it's usually the out of state Brady group that is making the claim but we all know that only the gun nuts get the bad press.

In case you have forgotten the last year: a huge percentage of pro-gun legislators were elected, the AW Ban expired, NICs records are destroyed after 24 hours.  That's some major stuff on the Federal level to not a lot. How many states improved or tried to pass CCW last year?  The NRA was there.  

Every week the NRA sends out an email that states what is going on in various states.  Obviously you haven't been concerned enough about the issues to actually get involved and do something simple like subscribe to the NRA email list, instead you just sit on the side and bitch about things you know nothing about.

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ok, show one example of something the NRA actively worked against to prevent from passing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Adding handguns to the National Firearms Act in the early 1990s.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

While I am disappointed in the NRA I have to agree with you - they probably do help PREVENT bad laws from getting out of committees.

I just wish they would be more agressive on the 2nd amendment and robustly promote the fact that it IS an INDIVIDUALS right to bear ARMS, and that ARMS isn't limited to 'guns appropriate for sporting purposes'.    

CALL THE NRA - ask them to PUSH harder on protecting the second amendment.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#12]
You do know the NRA is big on CCW don't you?

It ain't all Elmer Fudds running the show.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Adding handguns to the National Firearms Act in the early 1990s.
CRC

My only complaint with the NRA is that they seem to be willing to compromise too easily on some issues.  I was actually shocked when they came out and said kill the lawsuit bill after all the bad amendments got attached to it.  I'm not familar with adding handguns to the NFA back in the 90s.  It was before I got real active.  Was this something Congress had out of committee and was pushing at the time or was it an issue like the 1000% ammo tax that someone seems to introduce every year but has no chance of going anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is horse shit and you know it, the Republican leadership killed it the NRA had little effect either way.  It was a buyllshit law everyone with half a brain new it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#15]

The nra has no interest in "winning" anything.
They do just enough to say they are doing something so sheeple like swire will keep giving them their money and continue to make excuses for their swindling of the uninformed people who THINK they are fighting for their 2nd  amend. rights.

They are fighting only to perpetuate their existance, not to protect the 2nd amend.

Swire,, you usually brag how the nra is so powerful they have the anti`s peeing their pants.

Now you are saying no one listens to them.

Have you finally woke up????????

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link to links

Also I will add judiciary link on page 1 in my post.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#17]
My money will never go to the NRA. Go GOA.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And how the hell did the ban come to place to begin with?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

They do just enough to say they are doing something so sheeple like swire will keep giving them their money and continue to make excuses for their swindling of the uninformed people who THINK they are fighting for their 2nd  amend. rights.

They are fighting only to perpetuate their existance, not to protect the 2nd amend.

Swire,, you usually brag how the nra is so powerful they have the anti`s peeing their pants.

I'm still waiting for you to post the salaries of all the highly paid execs, seeing who you keep saying that's where all the money is going.

I have actually seen and worked with the NRA in action while passing the CCW law in Michigan.  I've seen what they can do and how they do it.  What is your work experience with the NRA?

The NRA is the most powerful pro-gun lobby in Washington and in the top 5 most powerful lobbying groups overall even though they aren't in the top 100 big spenders.  So yes they are very powerful.

As for the bill discussed here, unlike what you believe from the Brady group about the NRA controlling Washington, it doesn't work that way.  The NRA can only influence what goes on there.  When the NRA pressures the Republican leadership but gets the response of "This bill will never be brought to the floor" there is very little the NRA can do about that bill.  The Republican leadership has said they will bring the manufacturers lawsuit protection bill to the floor, which is why the NRA is pushing for that.  If the NRA continued to push for a bill they were told "isn't going to happen" they risk pissing off the Republican leadership and getting no cooperation on the lawsuit bill.  They can't risk that so they continue to work towards bills that actually have a chance.  If you want something to change you need to pound your Republican legislators as they are holding the ball and dictating the rules.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Democrats controlled the Presidency and the Congress.  They know the NRA isn't going to help them so they thought they had nothing to fear when it came to passing gun control.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, my bad, the NRA backed the original assault weapons ban.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is horse shit and you know it, the Republican leadership killed it the NRA had little effect either way.  It was a buyllshit law everyone with half a brain new it.

I don't know how much lit. you get from the NRA but in the last ten years I got alot and it often mentioned the AWB but I'm sure your right, they forgot to contact the RNC or anyone else about it .  OOPS!    Joe
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm still waiting for you to post the salaries of all the highly paid execs, seeing who you keep saying that's where all the money is going.

I have actually seen and worked with the NRA in action while passing the CCW law in Michigan.  I've seen what they can do and how they do it.  What is your work experience with the NRA?

The NRA is the most powerful pro-gun lobby in Washington and in the top 5 most powerful lobbying groups overall even though they aren't in the top 100 big spenders.  So yes they are very powerful.

As for the bill discussed here, unlike what you believe from the Brady group about the NRA controlling Washington, it doesn't work that way.  The NRA can only influence what goes on there.  When the NRA pressures the Republican leadership but gets the response of "This bill will never be brought to the floor" there is very little the NRA can do about that bill.  The Republican leadership has said they will bring the manufacturers lawsuit protection bill to the floor, which is why the NRA is pushing for that.  If the NRA continued to push for a bill they were told "isn't going to happen" they risk pissing off the Republican leadership and getting no cooperation on the lawsuit bill.  They can't risk that so they continue to work towards bills that actually have a chance.  If you want something to change you need to pound your Republican legislators as they are holding the ball and dictating the rules.

I never said I knew the individual salaries.

I do know their annual budget is 190 MILLION!!!!

They sure ain`t spending that fighting for our rights.

Again,,,one time you say they are the biggest, baddest, bestest,,,,,and the next you are saying they can`t do anything.

You are speaking out of both sides of your ass,,,,,,,,,AGAIN!!!!!

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know how much lit. you get from the NRA but in the last ten years I got alot and it often mentioned the AWB but I'm sure your right, they forgot to contact the RNC or anyone else about it .  OOPS!    Joe

The best thing the NRA could do is just sit back and watch.  I just wish the people of Ca. and N.Y. would wake up and vote for "REAL" Republicans and send DiFi, Boxer, Pelosi, Harris and their ilk home permanantly then all attention to gun control would go away I believe moderate Dem's want to drop GC as a platform, the problem is their leadership I.E. those previously named.  Or god, Allah, or whoever willing Nevada and Arizona become beachfront property soon!  Or we can attack N.Korea Ca. is in range theoretically.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The best thing the NRA could do is just sit back and watch.  I just wish the people of Ca. and N.Y. would wake up and vote for "REAL" Republicans and send DiFi, Boxer, Pelosi, Harris and their ilk home permanantly then all attention to gun control would go away I believe moderate Dem's want to drop GC as a platform, the problem is their leadership I.E. those previously named.  Or god, Allah, or whoever willing Nevada and Arizona become beachfront property soon!  Or we can attack N.Korea Ca. is in range theoretically.

+1  I agree that the moderates want to drop the issue but the main Democratic platform has a huge anti gun plank in it.  Dems more than Republicans are kept under control by the national party and in big electoral areas they threaten to back someone else with the $$$ if they don't tow the party line.  This is reminissant of the tactics one would expect from the mob.  Joe
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Again,,,one time you say they are the biggest, baddest, bestest,,,,,and the next you are saying they can`t do anything.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You claim you don't know what they are using the budget for but then you claim they wasting it.  How do you know what they are or aren't doing if you don't know where the money is going or who is is getting paid?  Show some actual proof that they are wasting money while sitting around doing nothing.

I'm also still waiting for you to list your work experience with the NRA.  I know you have none because if you saw the NRA in action for 30 minutes you wouldn't be spouting off the crap you are.

You obviously have no clue how politics work.  The NRA is the biggest and baddest gun lobby they are also one of the biggest and baddest lobbying groups...but as I have already said despite what you believe from the Brady Group the lobbist don't run Washington they can only influence it.  It doesn't matter how big and bad a lobby group is if the majority party has reviewed an issue and said it's not going to happen...then it's not going to happen.  Lobbist can influence that's it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#28]
The NRA hasn't given a shit about gun owners for over 20 years, and some of ya'll are just not starting to figure this out?  I used to be a member back in the early 90's but when gun laws were passed and I saw the NRA doing squat to stop it I gave up on em'.  The last time that they called and ask for money I'd not been a member in years and I told them that when I saw some of the stupid firearms laws drop off of the books as a result of NRA action that I'd be glad to re-up my dues and become a member again, until then don't bug me anymore.  That was about 3 years ago and they've not called back since.  If I saw the NRA on TV, really doing something or in front of Congress speaking up for gun owners then I'd be a member but all I see is them wanting money all the time and nothing positive getting done with that money.    Back in the early 90's when I was a member I was fired from a job for having a pair of Colt '51 Navies in my car in a Church Parking lot that the company that I worked for got permission for us to use.  The policy was "No Firearms on Company Property.", Ok, that's cool, but in a Church Parking lot, in Phoenix,AZ. were the Company got permission for us to part, That's NOT Company property.  I was even told that I, personally, couldn't talk about guns on my breaks or within the company.  When I called the NRA/ILA and ask for help they didn't do squat.  So much for them being on OUR side,what a joke.  Oh well, enough of my rant.  Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:12:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Where was the NRA when Rangel and Hughes were adding the MG ban to the FOPA in 1986? It didn't even go to a committee but instead went straight to the floor for voting. Where were they when Reagan signed it? Where were they when the import ban was signed? These bills happened under two republican Presidents, the party that supposed to uphold the rights of the 2nd and yet they both were signed into law. What happened and why wasn't the NRA more effective in preventing these bills from being signed?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top