Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2001 3:06:07 PM EDT
About how much do you spend on guns, ammo, accessories, training/school, club/range  membership,  reloading equipment, components, etc. etc. per year?    

My wife told me I spent about $2,900 last year and about $1,600 so far this year ($700 of that on the LEGP rifle).  The record high was in 1997 when I spent over $5,200 but that was because I was out of the country for previous 3 years and didn't get to buy anything during those years.  Record low was 1999 when I spent just under $1,000 but that was because we purchased a house that year and was spending most our money on furniture, paint, etc. for the new house.

Basically my wife and I have an agreement that anytime I spend more than $500 on a single purchase we would have to both agree to it (she has never objected to a purchase yet).  Also, we have an annual budget for my hobbies (shooting, fishing, sailing, etc.) and my wife's hobbies (traveling, painting, music, theater, etc.).      

Link Posted: 7/5/2001 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly, I never really kept track...  Lesse...

Roughly $2,000.00 per year, give or take about $300 or so.

The way I look at it, guns don't go down in value if you buy the right ones and treat them correctly.  It's an investment.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The way I look at it, guns don't go down in value if you buy the right ones and treat them correctly.  It's an investment.

Mike
View Quote

I been telling my wife that for years.  
I'm not sure if she believes me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Just slightly less than the  yearly GNP of
Paraguay.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#5]
i got a new job 2 months back and after the first "break in" period where i wasnt sure how much $$ i would be making i figured out a good way to budget my "gun money". first i get paid every two weeks. each pay day i take $500 of the top for just bills, spending money, food etc. after that $150 saved in cash for a rainy day. that leaves EVERYTHING else for "gun money". at this point i dont have too many bills and i buy the generic foods to save a little $$. and i may not spend my "gun money" for a couple of pay days simply becouse i havent found a good deal. i would say that in the past 3 months i have put down at least $750 for ammo, mags, gear, and a new M1 Carbine. i plan on spending this way until eather i fill my gun room, or TSHTF. im not going to lose my job unless everyone else does and at that point if i *need* anything ill be able to barter some ammo for stuff. im in the Teamsters Union, so im not going anywhere and im makeing good $$. i work my but off for it and i think that i should make up for lost time. sorry, but that last line came off as kind of a rant. not intended. thanks
DB
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Not too much, maybe 1K a year. Every weapons system has the proper items that bring it to full effectiveness. Buy the right ones, and they're part of your investment.

USA mags don't count.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#7]
$20
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
$20
View Quote

that includes both .38ammo and a brick of .22lr rounds, right?[;D]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#9]
It fluctuates. Like when I broke down and bought over 2000 dollars worth of south african ammo from SG when the 20% coupon was good. It was two separate orders with the second being the biggest. It came on a skid to where I work.
All that ammo brought a tear to my eye. I LOVE south african ammo.[}:D]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#10]
So far this year:$3000 +or- on rifles, $1200 +or- on pistols, $500 +or- on accessories, I plan to buy more if I can. Yes I have a problem. No I do not want help(unless it is financial assistance to buy more stuff)
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By double tap:
It fluctuates. Like when I broke down and bought over 2000 dollars worth of south african ammo from SG when the 20% coupon was good. It was two separate orders with the second being the biggest. It came on a skid to where I work.
All that ammo brought a tear to my eye. I LOVE south african ammo.[}:D]
View Quote

I just recently got back into shooting after a 3 year absence. In the last 2 months I've spent $1500-$2000 on guns, ammo and accessories. I'm planning on picking up and AR this weekend and possibly a .45 after that. My wife has been pretty cool about it....so far! :-)I used the whole investment theory. I got her into shooting when I bought my first pistol and last weekend at the range she said she "wanted an AR" hence the reason I'm going to buy one this weekend. I figure I might as well get them while I can!
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#12]
about 3K-4K a year so far. I don't know how I manage to afford that with my other bills and all. Good thing I don't have to buy my own food. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Admit it, yobo, my wife finally got to you. This whole thread is some evil scheme to get me to admit to how much I spend! Well it wont work! You can't make me talk.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Not enough.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Admit it, yobo, my wife finally got to you. This whole thread is some evil scheme to get me to admit to how much I spend! Well it wont work! You can't make me talk.
View Quote

What do you mean "my wife finally got to you"!  I am your wife!!!  Get the hell off the computer and get started on the "honey-do" list NOW!!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd guess around $5000 a year.  But that really fluctuates, depending on the situation.

Sometimes a lot more, sometimes a little less.  Do you subtract the money you make on selling guns and parts from the total?

Now that I'm getting more into the whole C3 thing, I expect that number to rise.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Do you subtract the money you make on selling guns and parts from the total?

View Quote

Yes, the money from selling guns or "things" are not included.  Just out of pocket money.  Personally I don't have to worry about that since I never sell anything anymore... I just buy.    
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I average 3 gun purchases per year, buying the various accutrements along the way.  In total 3-4000 bucks per year.  Not enough.  I need to save up that money to buy another Uzi.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Between 2000.00-3000.00 a year, more if I get more overtime or off duty work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top