Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2005 3:19:08 PM EDT
Went back 5 pages, didn't see anything so sorry if this is a dupe.

Link

Fonda Film Banned From Ky. Theaters
May 17, 6:47 PM EST

The Associated Press

ELIZABETHTOWN, Ky -- The owner of two Kentucky theaters has refused to show the new Jane Fonda film "Monster-in-Law" because of the activist role the actress took during the Vietnam War.

Ike Boutwell, who trained pilots during the Vietnam War, displayed pictures of Fonda clapping with a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft crew in 1972 outside the Elizabethtown Movie Palace to show his disapproval. The marquee outside Showtime Cinemas in nearby Radcliff reads: "No Jane Fonda movie in this theater."

Both theaters are just a few miles from the Army post of Fort Knox, south of Louisville.

"I think when people do something, they need to be held responsible for their actions," Boutwell said. "When you give the enemy aid, it makes the war last longer."

Fonda has apologized for being photographed on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun, but not for opposing the war.

"Monster-in-Law" raked in more than $23 million last weekend as the top-grossing movie across the country, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. and Nielsen EDI Inc. In the film, Fonda plays Jennifer Lopez's villainous prospective mother-in-law, trying to stop Lopez from marrying her son.

Sal Mancuso, an Elizabethtown resident, said he personally thanked Boutwell for not showing the film.

"I think Vietnam veterans appreciate this," said Mancuso, who fought in the Mekong Delta during the Vietnam war. "There is no defense for what she did."

Boutwell also banned previous Jane Fonda films, as well as Michael Moore's film, "Fahrenheit 9/11."
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
he owns the theatre thats his call.

I thought it was because fonda and j lo would cause husbands and boyfriends everywhere to shoot themselves?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#2]
The guy was interviewed on Fox News this afternoon.  He came across really well.  His main argument was he was a trainer and that the image of Fonda cheering on the North Vietnamese is still stuck in his mind because the people she was cheering were the same people that were killing his trainees.  In the interview he said that almost all the comments he has gotten have been positive just a fraction of 1% of been negative.

If he were closer I would drive there to see a movie but it's over a 2 hour drive to get there for me.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The guy was interviewed on Fox News this afternoon.  He came across really well.  His main argument was he was a trainer and that the image of Fonda cheering on the North Vietnamese is still stuck in his mind because the people she was cheering were the same people that were killing his trainees.  In the interview he said that almost all the comments he has gotten have been positive just a fraction of 1% of been negative.

If he were closer I would drive there to see a movie but it's over a 2 hour drive to get there for me.

what time was that on? Oreilly or hannity?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#4]
He's also saying lots of folks are buying ticket certificates & giving them to some of the Ft. Campbell soldiers. Kinda cool, IMO.

Here's a beer salute to him!
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Good for him!

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what time was that on? Oreilly or hannity?

Way earlier than that.  I would say around 2 or 3 in the afternoon.  The guy I work with has XM radio and we listen to Fox News 8 hours a day while working.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Bump for the night crew
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Bump one last time
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Word!!! Someone sitting on the enemy's AAA that's killing American airmen is something I'll never understand. If that isn't treason, I don't know what is. Fonda is one of those people on my list that if I see in person I'll bitchslap.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Bravo, i applaud him.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Another good ol' boy from KY doing his country pround
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#13]
This movie was showing at the theatre in lexington when I went to take my kids to see "kicking and screaming" (good movie by the way).  

My daughter said she wanted to see that movie...I told her "not if I have anything to say about it" and then proceeded to relate the story of the communist traitor &itch to the kids.

They now understand but I will relate it to them with pictures soon.

Essayons
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Notice how the headline is "Fonda Film Banned", as if they KY govn'r stepped in and blocked all theaters from showing this movie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top