Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2005 3:31:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure about any potential hardware upgrades, BUT....

I've had the DishPVR system sinceit came out uitea few years ago, and can't imagine living without it. Call Dish if you're not sure.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Dish 500 has been out for quite a while, they just sent me a new "yellow" card to replace the "blue" one in my DVR. I wonder what the hell is the difference? I see they are charging for the "recording" bit now, I bought the DVR myself as the first reciever was set up on POS windows system and crashed everytime you looked at it. Mine is like 60 hours record time, believe it is 100 or more now, Love mine.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Dish 500 has been out for quite a while, they just sent me a new "yellow" card to replace the "blue" one in my DVR. I wonder what the hell is the difference? I see they are charging for the "recording" bit now, I bought the DVR myself as the first reciever was set up on POS windows system and crashed everytime you looked at it. Mine is like 60 hours record time, believe it is 100 or more now, Love mine.

How do they charge for that recording stuff?

Also, Arent they going HD Soon?
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#5]
You've got your basic single-receiver DVR
A two-receiver DVR
HD without DVR
A single receiver HD DVR
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Even OLD equipment  will work. I have may aunt my old reciver (When Direct TV first came out, yes I know not Dish, but same thing), Back when you had to drop $500 to bring it home and ya had to install it yourself. Still works like a charm.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i figured if it was true dish probobly wouldn't tell me so they can resell the equipment in a few months. was hoping someone had heard something similar

Dish is switching to MPGE4 compression to get more HD programming up with less bandwidth.

The switch will affect HD subscribers first… Form what was said on the tech forum this month I would not expect this to affect customers for quite awhile as long as 18 months to 2 years for standard programming.

Get the dish PVR now you will not regret it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
There are a bunch of things going on with Dish right now, they just introduced thier best DVR yet, the 942.
There are several different systems out right now, you have to decide if you want HiDef or not, that will make most of the choices as to what DVR you pick.  There is a supposed trend Dish will be making to MPEG-4 recordings, it's not sure yet if there will be new recievers or not.
You've been a dish customer for 5 or 6 years, call them and say you're quitting for DirectTV unless you get more modern equipment, you should get upgraded.

A really good source for sattellite info is  www.dbstalk.com
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#11]
You are a steady customer of Dish, it costs less to keep you than to try an attract new customers..
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep us posted, TBS. Interested to hear what Dish will do...
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There are a bunch of things going on with Dish right now, they just introduced thier best DVR yet, the 942.
There are several different systems out right now, you have to decide if you want HiDef or not, that will make most of the choices as to what DVR you pick.  There is a supposed trend Dish will be making to MPEG-4 recordings, it's not sure yet if there will be new recievers or not.
You've been a dish customer for 5 or 6 years, call them and say you're quitting for DirectTV unless you get more modern equipment, you should get upgraded.

A really good source for sattellite info is  www.dbstalk.com

you think that will work? i bought my equipment and didn't lease it. heck it's worth a try.

mike

Mike,
I called and told them I wanted to upgrade to a DVR. They charged me $50 and sent me a brand new DVR with 100 hours of recording. I packaged up one of my old receivers and sent it back(at their cost). They gave  me a $25 credit on my bill. So, it cost me $25 and $5 more per month. All that I can say is that it should be a crime to sell a TV without a DVR. This thing rocks!

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I just had Dish installed on Saturday. They gave me their latest and greatest, so they say. I use to have the 500 before I told them to kiss my ass over a year ago, but after trying DirectTV and cable, I have to admit, even with the bad customer service, DISH has the best setup and picture.

Anyway back to the hardware they gave me. I had 4 rooms done, 2 with DVR capabilities and 2 without. The way it works now is one box will do 2 rooms. So I have a regular box in my den and in my kids room he just has a remote that he points at the TV. The feed is coming off the box in the den. 2 seperate feeds, so 2 seperate programs can be watched, but you only need 1 box. In the living room I have the DVR receiver and in my bedroom, I just have a remote. My bedroom feed comes from the DVR in the living room. I can record 2 programs at once and watch them later on eiother the bedroom TV or the living room tv. This is their upgraded system and it rocks. As you know the 500 could record 2 programs but you had to watch it on that TV. With this system you have 2 rooms you can watch the DVR stuff on.

Sorry so long, but I wanted to explain it right. The tech did not for me and had me thinking I could only watch the stuff from the TV I recorded it from. Not true, I can record in my bedroom and watch in the living room and vice versus.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
i have a dish 500 system that is about 6 years old. I am anting to upgrade to a dvr type reciever. I was told by a buddy that installs direct tv to wait a bit that the dish500 system will be out the door soon and we will have to upgrade to a newer technology system in the very near future. <new dish and reciever.

Anyone know anything about this. should i go ahead and buy or wait?

mike

Do you have a 'dishpro'  500 system?  The lnb will have the 'pro logo.  How many ird's do you have?   AFIK the dishpro is the latest thing in the (outside) dishnet technology.

If you have a non 'pro system & more than one ird you will need to upgrade the lnb and add a dp34 switch to make it work.  

Are you looking for a 510 DVR  or the 522?  The 522 requires 2 wires from the lnb/switch to the ird.

IM me & maybe I can point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I just upgraded to DishPro and a 921DVR.  It rocks!
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#18]
One of my good friends is about to start work there on Monday. She will be working in the service dept. that repairs receivers and whatnot, so I am sure she will know all about any new equpiment in the pipeline pretty much as soon as she gets there.

She posts here sometimes, I will send her this thread.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#19]
They upgrade your setup free? We have the setup they had before dish500 (really fuckign old)and the remote is going bad(some numbers wont work) and the buttons on the receiver dont seem to work anymore. I will tell my parents to look into getting something more up-to-date.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been a happy Dish subscriber for years.  I have a few DVR models and love them, but now I'm having second thoughts about Dish.

Echostar delivers the friggin' al jazeera channel to paying customers.  Granted I don't pay for that America hating POS, but I have a real problem writing a check every month to a company that fans the anti-America fire.

I've emailed a bunch of times to urge them to dump aj, but it falls on deaf ears.  I think I'm firing Charlie Ergen and getting a DirecTivo setup.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've been a happy Dish subscriber for years.  I have a few DVR models and love them, but now I'm having second thoughts about Dish.

Echostar delivers the friggin' al jazeera channel to paying customers.  Granted I don't pay for that America hating POS, but I have a real problem writing a check every month to a company that fans the anti-America fire.

I've emailed a bunch of times to urge them to dump aj, but it falls on deaf ears.  I think I'm firing Charlie Ergen and getting a DirecTivo setup.

I Dont think I have ever heard of anyone that Went to DirecTV after Dish being happy with it.. Even navigating the channel guide is a PIA with DirecTV.  Stick with the Dish and Dont pony up any cash for AJ..  Its a free market you know, Some folks want AJ just to see what kind of dirty shit they put up there about us to counter it.   Akin to reading the NY times.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
i have a dish 500 system that is about 6 years old. I am anting to upgrade to a dvr type reciever. I was told by a buddy that installs direct tv to wait a bit that the dish500 system will be out the door soon and we will have to upgrade to a newer technology system in the very near future. <new dish and reciever.

Anyone know anything about this. should i go ahead and buy or wait?

mike

Do you have a 'dishpro'  500 system?  The lnb will have the 'pro logo.  How many ird's do you have?   AFIK the dishpro is the latest thing in the (outside) dishnet technology.

If you have a non 'pro system & more than one ird you will need to upgrade the lnb and add a dp34 switch to make it work.  

Are you looking for a 510 DVR  or the 522?  The 522 requires 2 wires from the lnb/switch to the ird.

IM me & maybe I can point you in the right direction.

don't see pro anywhere. i have 2 recievers one in the bedroom and one in the living room. how do i tell what switch i have?

mike

Dishpro rcvr's are model #'s 301  or higher.  If you have a 2700,  2800, 3900 it is a 'legacy' rvcr.  They need a dishpro adapter to work with dishpro lnb's/switches.

Call a local dealer & ask about the upgrade options for exsisting customers.  Or call Dish (1-800-333-3474) & do what someone above did:  act like you are going to DTV.  Sometimes Dish will bend over backwards to keep you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I Dont think I have ever heard of anyone that Went to DirecTV after Dish being happy with it.

Roger that.  

Some folks want AJ just to see what kind of dirty shit they put up there about us to counter it.

Not sure I buy that.  I would bet that most are foreign nationals that want news from home, but they get it in a soup along w/ all the anti-American fixin's.

I'm still waffling.  But I'll probably end up staying, and continuing to email.

What about an Arfcom Fire Mission to Charlie Ergen?  That may do the trick.  Maybe I'll post in a separate thread to float the idea...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top