Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/16/2005 5:48:01 PM EDT
Check this bullsh*t out... I got this in my email today:

We need you to tell Iowa politicians to restore voting for former offenders who have already served their time! Restoring voting for former offenders is critical to ensure fairness in Iowa democracy.  Right now, officials are considering whether Iowa should remain first on the presidential primary schedule. NOW is the time to let politicians and the media know that you support restoring the right to vote.

Unlike 90% of states, Iowa permanently disenfranchises all citizens who have served their time.  As a result, about 80,000 Iowans who have served their time cannot vote, and Iowa is the number one state in disenfranchising African Americans.    

HERE'S WHAT WE NEED YOU TO DO:

1)  CONTACT YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS:  Contact Governor Tom Vilsack (contact info below) and your state senator and representative (http://action.rockthevote.org/ctt.asp?u=724322&l=6855) and tell them that Iowa should extend the right to vote to all Iowans who have completed their sentence.

Governor Tom Vilsack    
(515) 281-5211 (Voicemail)
State Capitol
Des Moines, IA 50319
Email: http://action.rockthevote.org/ctt.asp?u=724322&l=6856
(Yes, the governor has not been brought up to speed on actually giving out his email address. Hey, not all of us are technologically savvy).

2)  REACH OUT TO OTHER IOWANS THROUGH NEWSPAPERS AND TALK RADIO:  Write short letters to newspapers and call into talk radio shows and tell them that Iowa should expand the right to vote to those who have served their time.      

Email Newspaper Editors:
Des Moines Register: [email protected]
Cedar Rapids Gazette: [email protected]
Waterloo Courier:  [email protected]

Talk Radio:
Ames/Iowa City: WOI/WSUI Public Radio (Talk of Iowa, topical talk each day, 9-11 am, 800-861-8000 (toll free)) Des Moines: WHO Radio 1040 AM (Mr. Jan Mickelson In the Morning Show, 9am-11am M-F, conservative, (515) 284-1040 or (800) 469-4295 (toll free))

3)  FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO YOUR FRIENDS!

HERE'S A FEW REASONS TO EXTEND IOWAN VOTING RIGHTS:
-Only Iowa and 4 other states permanently ban voting by all former offenders who have served their time (Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, and Virginia)
-About 80,000 Iowans-or 1 out of every 22 Iowa adults--can't vote due to a felony (double the national average)    
-1 of every 4 black adults in Iowa can't vote due to a felony (69% have served their time) -Iowa disenfranchises a greater percentage of its African-American residents than any other state in the nation -Iowa's current ban on voting by people who have served their time-which is out of step with 90% of the states in our nation-undermines the legitimacy of the Iowa Caucus -80% of Americans believe that those who have served their time should be allowed to vote.

For more information on Iowa's restrictive voting laws by the Sentencing Project, a non-partisan public policy organization, go to:
http://action.rockthevote.org/ctt.asp?u=724322&l=6857

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#1]
WTF is wrong with some people???
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#2]
the real question is why are 1 out of ever 4 blacks in iowa a felon?
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#3]
HA
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard about a study that showed that if felons were allowed to vote, several states would have gone democratic and Kerry would have won.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Rock the Vote = Inmates running the asylum

(the inevitable fate of any democracy, btw)
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Felons overwhelmingly vote for Democrats.

What's that tell ya?
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Well in all fairness. If you have served and have been let out, then you have 'paid your debt to society'. So you really should regain all your rights. If they were all that bad in the first place, then they have no business being out.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Are there even 4 blacks in Iowa?

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Because the Dem's need the felon votes because they have lost so many of their party to the Republicans.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Iowa secured 2 (maybe 3) positions in the FBI worst places to live in the US based upon "per capita" crime.

I used to live there, it is amazing what a craphole it is quickly becoming. Rampant liberalism.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes but you'd be hard pressed to find the white in Waterloo, Cedar Rapids and parts of Des Moines. And there are more Mexicans in Iowa than in Florida.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ben
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Blacks make up only 12% of the population, but commit 50% of the violent crime...not racism, just a fact, folks...
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Funny thing is I bet they will NOT want them to have their 2nd ammendments rights restored along with it. Besides criminals are not all that dumb, they know Democrat = early release, Republican = throw the book at them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#16]
IBP needs to move to Mexico then they can all go home!

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Would you allow felons to get back gun rights?
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

\

Violent Felons?

No.

Non violent felons?

depends.

In some places, LITTERING is a felony.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Ask anyone in Washington State how effective it is to allow felons to vote-- and who benefits by it . . . .

(I invite you all to look back a month or two in thw WA Hometown Forum to get the facts about how a Democrat stole the Governorship of the State of Washington by allowing felons and the dead to vote.)
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#20]
If convicted felons can vote, the police and the military must be disarmed. The government derives its powers from the people. The people transmit those powers through their exercise of the franchise, either directly (through referenda) or indirectly (through election of representatives). Therefore, all powers exercised by the government are pre-existent in the voters. A person cannot give away or delegate that which he does not himself rightly possess. If a person who cannot possess a firearm can vote, then the government and its agents cannot possess firearms, because their powers are delegated to them by a grantor who does not himself have the power to possess firearms.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't think I'll be doing that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes but you'd be hard pressed to find the white in Waterloo, Cedar Rapids and parts of Des Moines. And there are more Mexicans in Iowa than in Florida.

This is correct.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

\

Violent Felons?

No.

Non violent felons?

depends.

In some places, LITTERING is a felony.

Can't agree more with ya there.  Too much crap nowdays is being considered a felony, and alot of it shouldn't be illegal in the first place.

-Storm
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#24]
The sick thing about restoring 2 am. rights is that even though it WAS possible to appeal to get them restored, now it is impossible, per congress to appeal to get 2nd am. rights restored.

You can't even get your case heard.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Well hell the Democrats let dead people vote…

I don’t think felons should vote.

I know felons say they would vote 75% Democratic…

But even if they were to get to vote you have to wonder how many actually would turn out.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In a heartbeat.  Our founding fathers considered rights to be inalienable.

They also believed the right to life being inalienable… they wrote that down somewhere.

They also supported the death penalty… I do not think they would have any problem with not letting felons own firearms.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They also believed the right to life being inalienable… they wrote that down somewhere.

They also supported the death penalty… I do not think they would have any problem with not letting felons own firearms.

Well, I have a problem with it.  I think everyone should have the right to protect themselves.  If they're so bad and dangerous they should be kept in lockup or executed.  Otherwise, give them back their rights.

No man should have to cower or fear for his life.  Give the man a weapon - he's paid is debt.

Have you looked at who commits crimes… arming a felon is like tossing around a vile Nitro, it might not kill somebody but chances are it will eventually. Felons are many, many times more likely to kill, rape, rob, ect… than a non felon.

If someone is convicted of a felony you can bet their misdemeanor record ain't pretty including felonies that were plead down

Felons had their chance, the concept felons “paid their debt” is bogus on its face most can never approach “paying their debt”  for the harm they did, they cannot. Doing their required time ain’t paying any debt.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

REALLY?????? every one of the signers of the decleration WAS A FELON!!!!!!! But you think on the eve of revolution, they would have just given up there guns??

I once read talking about egging someone house in Georgia is "conspiracy to commit a misdomeanor" Which is a felony. I also know a guy (now in his 30's) who racked up 3 drag racing convictions @ 18 in Connecticut, Felony!!, Write a rubber check for a liquer permit in CT Felony!!!Goerge Bushes first pardon was a 60 year old in TX who when he was 18 Plead guilty to felony theft for stealing a 12 pack of beer.

Keep telling yourself that all felons should own guns , then forget a loaded clip under your seat and get stopped in NYC or Illannoy!  Hypocrites, i am surrounded by hypocritesedited for felonious spelling pointed out below
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Ask anyone in Washington State how effective it is to allow felons to vote-- and who benefits by it . . . .

(I invite you all to look back a month or two in thw WA Hometown Forum to get the facts about how a Democrat stole the Governorship of the State of Washington by allowing felons and the dead to vote.)

82nd, ductapeman is gonna meke me cry in public...
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

REALLY?????? every one of the signers of the decleration WAS A FELON!!!!!!! But you think on the eve of revolution, they would have just given up there guns??

I once read talking about egging someone house in Georgia is "conspiracy to commit a misdomeanor" Which is a felony. I also know a guy (now in his 30's) who racked up 3 drag racing convictions @ 18 in Connecticut, Felony!!, Write a rubber check for a liquer permit in CT Felony!!!Goerge Bushes first pardon was a 60 year old in TX who when he was 18 Plead guilty to felony theft for stealing a 12 pack of beer.

Keep telling yourself that all felons should own guns , then forget a loaded clip under your seat and get stopped in NYC or Illannoy!  Hippocrites, i am surrounded by hippocrites

Isn't that always the way? Surrounded by "hippocrites," when what you really need is one good English teacher.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep telling yourself that all felons should own guns , then forget a loaded clip under your seat and get stopped in NYC or Illannoy!  Hypocrites, i am surrounded by hypocriteshr

Isn't that always the way? Surrounded by "hippocrites," when what you really need is one good English teacher.

suppose that i am lucky bad spelling isn't a felony yet
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Felons overwhelmingly vote for Democrats.

What's that tell ya?

+1

Didn't we have someone here last year post a report that all the prisoners in a jail (I think in the PRK) were rooting for Kerry to win?

While I have issues with people that have supposedly "served their time to society" being denied rights for life, the whole push by the Democrats to restore voting rights is a pretty blatant ploy to increase a almost guaranteed voting block.

I would think the very fact that convicted felons vote Democratic should cause some light bulbs to come on with more people, but it never seems to.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:37:20 AM EDT
[#35]
just more proof that the Dems are desperate
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:48:20 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Well in all fairness. If you have served and have been let out, then you have 'paid your debt to society'. So you really should regain all your rights. If they were all that bad in the first place, then they have no business being out.

Yes, I agree, but people are shortsighted and can't think clearly.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:04:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Check this bullsh*t out... I got this in my email today:

We need you to tell Iowa politicians to restore voting for former offenders who have already served their time! Restoring voting for former offenders is critical to ensure fairness in Iowa democracy.  Right now, officials are considering whether Iowa should remain first on the presidential primary schedule. NOW is the time to let politicians and the media know that you support restoring the right to vote.

Unlike 90% of states, Iowa permanently disenfranchises all citizens who have served their time.  As a result, about 80,000 Iowans who have served their time cannot vote, and Iowa is the number one state in disenfranchising African Americans.    

Is "former offender" the new PC term for convicted felon?
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:06:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep telling yourself that all felons should own guns , then forget a loaded clip under your seat and get stopped in NYC or Illannoy!  Hypocrites, i am surrounded by hypocrites

edited for felonious spelling pointed out below

Tell me that you are comparing our founding fathers to some gangbanger who kills some 7-11 clerk execution style just to get the $47 from the cash regsiter.  Tell me that is what you are doing.

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:17:47 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
IBP needs to move to Mexico then they can all go home!

I used to work at IBP in Storm Lake, Ia and most of the work force there was Mexicans and Laotions.  

Crime was terrible.  And the sheriff's answer was to no longer allow any concealed carry in the whole county for anybody.

patsue
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:22:50 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Blacks make up only 12% of the population, but commit 50% of the violent crime...not racism, just a fact, folks...

and about 90% of that crime is black on black...but it's somehow the fault of us Whiteys.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I dind't know that Iowa was included as part of the Nation of Aztlan.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They decided to take it over too.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They decided to take it over too.

Can't make taco shells without corn.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

+1!

BTW, "felon" doesn't mean ONLY "murderers" and "gangsta's" anymore... for instance, in OHIO you're a felon if you touch your firearm while IN a vehicle (there's SOME contention as to whether it needs to be moving or running... or if sitting in a parked vehicle that isn't running is ALSO an issue, and no "yest cases" yet to settle this) you can touch the HOLSTER, but touch the FIREARM, and have an officer who's a dick watching (who didn't DIRECT you to SPECIFICALLY touch the firearm), license revoked, instant felon.

So, I'm w/cnorton on this one.... you've "done your time" - you should get ALL your rights back, if you shouldn't BE out, WTF is the gov't DOING letting you out???

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I have a problem with it.  I think everyone should have the right to protect themselves.  If they're so bad and dangerous they should be kept in lockup or executed.  Otherwise, give them back their rights.

No man should have to cower or fear for his life.  Give the man a weapon - he's paid is debt.

Have you looked at who commits crimes… arming a felon is like tossing around a vile Nitro, it might not kill somebody but chances are it will eventually. Felons are many, many times more likely to kill, rape, rob, ect… than a non felon.

If someone is convicted of a felony you can bet their misdemeanor record ain't pretty including felonies that were plead down

Felons had their chance, the concept felons “paid their debt” is bogus on its face most can never approach “paying their debt”  for the harm they did, they cannot. Doing their required time ain’t paying any debt.

So, what should someone PAY for accidentally touching their firearm while an officer is watching while sitting in their vehicle, anyway??? Just have the officer shoot them dead on the spot???

I knew the vast majority of Republican types were short sighted, but this is just getting silly! (Sorry to those Republicans who are NOT so short-sighted ;)
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep telling yourself that all felons should own guns , then forget a loaded clip under your seat and get stopped in NYC or Illannoy!  Hypocrites, i am surrounded by hypocriteshr

Tell me that you are comparing our founding fathers to some gangbanger who kills some 7-11 clerk execution style just to get the $47 from the cash regsiter.  Tell me that is what you are doing.

WTF are you talking about , I am saying that so many things are felonies that its bullshit. To strip these people of there rights forever. I know a guy that was arrested for a felony charge for cutting across an abandoned factory yard the fence was knocked down on. Also who  is making the comparison you insinuate, If you kill a 7-11 clerk  for 47 dollars should be shot, but if you have read any of this post you will see felony no longer means what it used to.
    Also I was mearly stating that King George had declared all of the signers of the declaration of independence treasonous. Treason is always a felony , usually punishable by death , so you are saying they should have turned their guns in?? The problem is that what is LEGAL and what is RIGHT are no longer the same thing.
     Oh i forgot the guy in alaska who is a convicted felon because a subcontractor of his company ruptured a pipeline working on a public works project, tell me he shouldn't ever own a gun again.P.S. to all the spelling Nazis out there , i know i cant spell. Thank you for pointing out you superiority
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#46]
The Dumocraps will do anything to get a vote,  they will eventually lead to their own destruction.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep telling yourself that all felons should own guns , then forget a loaded clip under your seat and get stopped in NYC or Illannoy!  Hypocrites, i am surrounded by hypocrites

edited for felonious spelling pointed out below

Wait-a-damn-minute.  Are you trying to tell me that in Georgia.. "conspiracy to commit a Misdemeanor" is a ... felony?  i r teh confuz3d
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Yes...there is this weird oxymoron with rights and being taken...you know the unalienable god given rights.

If we don't want our privaleges rights taken why should anybody elses?

If they are such scum  that shouldn't have a weapon and should be locked up I'm sure one of us law abiding citizens whom of course would have a pistal on our belt would sho...err...bring justice upon them.

You can't pick and choose who gets rights.

If felons (once released from prison) can't vote or excersice other rights subject to them as a citizen to this country why should they be taxed...taxation without representation. They aren't even aloud to decide.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I just finished reading "1984" so it's still fresh in my mind but...

It's not the felons we have / should be worrying about.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:40:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I just finished reading "1984" so it's still fresh in my mind but...

It's not the felons we have / should be worrying about.

Just remember what you said when you go crying to someone for help because some "ex"-con with a pistol just came and stole your kid out to a corn field and killed him/her......... but..eat least he had his 2nd amendment rights.

Sorry for the hypothetical.. but I just dont buy it.  I agree that everyone is entitled to the 2nd.. but when you commit a crime things change...more so if they are violent crimes resulting in death or hurting a child... why would I want to give rights back to anyone who does somthign like that?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top