Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2001 7:31:28 AM EDT
Who would be the most experienced Galil gunsmith who also knows 922 regulations?
Please respond in detail.
Thank you,
Regards,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Go here for the experts.  Galil's are welcome...
 [URL]http://www.valmet-weapons.com[/URL]

Did you buy one of those "Last remaining Galil receivers"?  Or are you trying to get a HADAR up to snuff?  If you bought one of those receivers, how's the quality?

The biggest problem you will face is the availability of US parts.  Most parts are unique to the Galil, and there isn't enough of a market for 922r compliant guns for a producer to make quality parts.  I suspect that most buying raw receivers are just ignoring the law and assembling as they please.

My baby:

[IMG]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=192182&a=1409106&p=48016864&Sequence=0&res=high[/IMG]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey, I'm thinking about picking up a preban Galil.  How are they?  Reliability?  Mag cost?  Availability of spare parts?

Thanks!

Mike

PS.  Any difference (aside from size and caliber) between the .223 and the .308 versions?  Is either one better than the other in terms of quality, reliability, etc?
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Prebans;

Arm's are cool -just like the pic.

I have one that is the .223 variety.  My understanding is the .308 was only designed for US use.

As for the Mag's I use the Steel 35 rnds, you can get a higher capacity but trust me the 35 rndr's are long enough.  CDNN has them in supply, very strong mags, they also have spring sets available with a follower, real cheap. Polymer mags are also available, I have not used them.

You can get a adapter for the .223 that will allow you to use the AR15/M16 Mags.  After using the Steel mags and seeing the quality on them I will stick to original mag type.

It shoots very good.. It had flip up night sights... It will heavier than an AK because the GUN is very Solid!

I would lone to mount an Aimpoint or something that .. but the Galil Side mounts go for around $300 plus and I do not know if I want to go for it.

You will not be disappointed in buying one!
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I still have the NIB Galil ARM 308. No one has bought it yet.

D.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I think that the Columbians actually acquired many in 7.62*51.  

I have heard rumors of cracked receiver problems with the 7.62s.  This may just be a rumor.  I have my doubts that IMI would put out a defective product though...

Link Posted: 7/5/2001 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Prebans;

Arm's are cool -just like the pic.

I have one that is the .223 variety.  My understanding is the .308 was only designed for US use.

As for the Mag's I use the Steel 35 rnds, you can get a higher capacity but trust me the 35 rndr's are long enough.  CDNN has them in supply, very strong mags, they also have spring sets available with a follower, real cheap. Polymer mags are also available, I have not used them.

You can get a adapter for the .223 that will allow you to use the AR15/M16 Mags.  After using the Steel mags and seeing the quality on them I will stick to original mag type.

It shoots very good.. It had flip up night sights... It will heavier than an AK because the GUN is very Solid!

I would lone to mount an Aimpoint or something that .. but the Galil Side mounts go for around $300 plus and I do not know if I want to go for it.

You will not be disappointed in buying one!
View Quote

Hmm.  Thank you for the information.  If I decided to buy a Galil, I'd probably go for the ARM type over the AR type.  (I'd prefer a HBAR type firearm.)

The .223 mags aren't too badly priced.  The .308 ones are too expensive ($100+); that might be enough to make me stick with the .223 model.

Thanks!

Mike

PS.  Know anything about the price and availability of spare parts?
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#7]
FRIZ--

E-mail me, I managed to delete your e-mail by mistake.

Also--Mark Krebs is making a fake galil from Bulgarian Milled receivers that he cuts down.  He would definitely be knowledgeable about the 922 restrictions.

Sorry, I don't have his website handy, but if I can find it, I will get it to you.

AFARR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top