Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/16/2005 9:13:25 AM EDT
I have a few awesome pictures of our SF guys over in ‘Stan in Toyotas.

Anyone have some more?  Please post them.

Thank you very much.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Apparently, they are the absolute shiite when it comes to reliable offroad transportation in the boonies.  It also helps that you can get Toyota parts for the 22R motor from nearly anywhere in the world.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#2]
those are national guardsman on the bottom?
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Apparently, they are the absolute shiite when it comes to reliable offroad transportation in the boonies.  It also helps that you can get Toyota parts for the 22R motor from nearly anywhere in the world.

Well, I know my Tacoma kicks ass in Moab and here in Colorado.

I hear they outfit the Taco's they send over with some special goodies at Ft. Campbell.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I thought they were SF but I don't know for sure.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought they were SF but I don't know for sure.

As i remember Army Guard in a SF guard unit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#6]
So...which factory accessory package has the MG mount included? Is that the Sport Kit or the Road Warrior Kit?

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Hep
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I bet they have off-road packages on them
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So...which factory accessory package has the MG mount included? Is that the Sport Kit or the Road Warrior Kit?

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Hep

I don't know which one for sure but it's the same one that has the interior lights and open-door chime disabled, and the headlights have IR bulbs so you only see the illumination with goggles or some other NVD.

ETA: I think it is the Road Warrior Kit.  Or the To Hell and Back Kit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm.  Those don't look up armored.

EDIT: There was an episode of Frontline from a good while back that followed around some SF guys in 'ghanistan.  They were driving around two Tacomas the whole time, visiting local warlords and collecting big guns from them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Toyota Talibans
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thank you very much.

img27.echo.cx/img27/1203/afghanspecopstoyota8xp.jpg

img27.echo.cx/img27/3530/specopstoyotaafghanistan25js.jpg

img27.echo.cx/img27/6140/specopstoyotaafghanistan6mv.jpg

I may seriously have to consider trading in the Trooper for one of those.

Is the machine gun standard or part of an options package?
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Toyota Talibans

These are Tacomas not Hiluxes.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you very much.

img27.echo.cx/img27/1203/afghanspecopstoyota8xp.jpg</a>

img27.echo.cx/img27/3530/specopstoyotaafghanistan25js.jpg</a>

img27.echo.cx/img27/6140/specopstoyotaafghanistan6mv.jpg</a>

I may seriously have to consider trading in the Trooper for one of those.

Is the machine gun standard or part of an options package?

We were discussing that earlier.  Hepcat85 was wondering if it's part of the Sport package or the Road Warrior package.  I think it's either the Road Warrior package or the To Hell and Back package.
(** not available at all locations)
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#14]
If I remember correctly, they bought them from S.E.Toyota... They are not Hi-Lux's, which are what you see all over the world. The Tacoma is an North America thing.

FWIW: Not only do they blend in, they fit in the back of a shithook, Hummer won't.

BTW: They have regular headlamps w/ IR aux lighting.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#15]
If I didn't need a fullsize I would trade it in for a 'yota. Whenever I buy my next  vehicle it WILL be a Tacoma with some Off-Road goodies added
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

We were discussing that earlier.  Hepcat85 was wondering if it's part of the Sport package or the Road Warrior package.  I think it's either the Road Warrior package or the To Hell and Back package.

Any way we can get both?

In all sincerity, are those Tacomas or Tundras? I can't tell.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Waiting for someone to say something bad about the SF guys ruining our trade deficit with Japan. Come on guys, where ya at?

+1 for the SF guys using Tacomas. They know a good truck
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any way we can get both?

In all sincerity, are those Tacomas or Tundras? I can't tell.

They are Tacomas.  It's clear in this one (below).  Note that Tacomas in that region is significant in itself.  The Tacoma is for the North American market only.  Elsewhere it's the Hilux (which is actually pretty sweet because you can get it with a solid front axle as a factory option).  They are upgraded with mods at Ft. Campbell I believe and sent out to our guys.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The Utah National Guard (I believe they are the 5th SF Group) and Virginia National Guard both have a Special Forces unit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Whoops, wrong thread.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Whoops, wrong thread.

LOL!

Once upon a time...

My best friends drive Jeeps when we go wheeling.  We have Jeepers and 'Yota guys.  We tease each other a bit but it's for fun.  We don't take the rivalry seriously.

My favorite is when a Jeep gets stuck on something one of our 'Yotas clears, "It's a Jeep thing...you wouldn't understand".
Another friend says the J in Jeep is actually pronounced "H".
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Man, talk about a ringing endorsement on toughness!

I'd love to get one, but I like the higher flexibility of the SUV-type body. They aren't cheap, either!

Sigh. I wish I could afford a Land Cruiser...
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'd love to get one, but I like the higher flexibility of the SUV-type body. They aren't cheap, either!

Sigh. I wish I could afford a Land Cruiser...

I love Cruisers.  I've seen some awesome 4Runners set up for serious 4-wheeling though.

I have a shell top on my Tacoma (it's obviously off in that one pic of me climbing the rocks - I remove it for serious trails).  Still not the same as an SUV though.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Zaphod - Easy...Tundra Doublecab, 30k-ish
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Uh, one of them looks like he has an NRA cap . . .
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

They are tough little trucks!  

We also used them in the initial assault into Iraq.  They were shipped back after the insurgency began.  

I think I have a few pictures on this computer.. I'll try to dig them up.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Is the 22R still used in anything?
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And their resale value kicks ass too. Less depreciation over time than resale on a Honda Civic.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And their resale value kicks ass too. Less depreciation over time than resale on a Honda Civic.  

How much do 7.62mm holes affect resale? Hell, I'd pay more for one that came back from a'stan. The holes would just add character
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How much do 7.62mm holes affect resale? Hell, I'd pay more for one that came back from a'stan. The holes would just add character

Not quite certain, but I do know you can get those silly bullet hole sticker kits some of the wannabe thugs put on their Yukons around here.  
Ghey!
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not quite certain, but I do know you can get those silly bullet hole sticker kits some of the wannabe thugs put on their Yukons around here.  
www.f2motorcycles.ltd.uk/f2images/other%20images/bulletholes.jpgGhey!

Mauser...we've had our differences of opinion over other things/activities being ghey but I can't argue with you on this one.

Maybe they should be stickers of little anuses instead of bullet holes...that would be fucking hilarious.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Saw a pic somewhere recently of Tacos that got shipped back from A-stan...man, were they beat the fuck up!

Bullet holes, missing glass, dashboards covered with velcro, mismatched wheels, sand in every possible crevice...awesome.

I drive a '03, TRD, x-cab, V6 4x4 with a Leer fiberglass shell. It is the best truck I've ever owned, bar none...and I've had several Chevys, fords, Jeeps etc. I'd drive it into the mouth of hell without a worry. I highly reccomend them.

Also, the new Taco is kickass.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Interesting. What trucks do you see running in third world countries? Sure as hell isn't a Chevy.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Forget 'double tap', someone set my Firefox to 4rnd burst!

Actually, I've been having a problem lately where surfing arfcom is fine but when I go to post something, it starts being unresponsive ("page contains no data" being the actual error message). I normally copy the post I was going to make, then refresh the 'post reply' page till it reloads succesfully, then actually post the message. For some reason instead of doing that I decided to hit 'submit' till it actually came back with the submitted page, but apparently that backfired.

and no, it's not a 56k connection, it's a phat OC-somethingorrather at work. Oddly enough, any other page requests to arfcom (i.e. from other tabs open) also come back with "no data" messages, but other tabs on other sites work fine. Firefox doesn't do this to me at home on 'nix or winXP, but it seems to want to do this every so often at work on win2k. I'm (hopefully) posting this from IE right now.

Sorry for that, everyone.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

4X?  
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

4X?  

He must be on a 56k connecting hitting the refresh button or something.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We also used them in the initial assault into Iraq.  They were shipped back after the insurgency began.  

Here's one.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah, its  kind of old news. But I am still waiting for the dealer to offer the Afghan-package.  Complete with truck bed machinegun mount.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC back in the 80's Chad used Toyota 4x4 trucks equipped with AT rockets to kick ass against Libyan tanks when Khadafi invaded.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Explanation for the 4x up there ^^^
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Still no peeps from the rabid anti Toyota crowd.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Still no peeps from the rabid anti Toyota crowd.

I don't know but mine is made here in the US and the so-called big three American automakers aren't exactly loyal.  They're just shrewd multinational corporations I think.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top