Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2001 6:49:20 AM EDT
i am thinking about putting together a nice pretty hunting rifle on a really awsome laminated stock i've found.  i want to do this in either 6.5x55 swed or 260 remington.  i'm having a tough time decideing between a winchester 70 action (the new pre '64 bolt configuration) and the remington 700 action.  i know some swear that the remington is one of the besty actions on the market.  but i've also heard that the winchester is an evolution of the mauser action.  

my question, is there much difference in the accuracy with these two actions (in either case i'll probably have the trigger lightened a bit).  is one fundamantally better or better designed then the other?  thanks for the input.  sloth
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Both rifles are capable of outstanding accuracy,I like the Model70 better personally. If you are going with the 6.5x55,Winchester already chambers this round, I believe Remington did to on a limited basis I think in the 700 Classic . Its a very good whitetail round . Hope this helps ya.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Since you are considering the 6.6x55, try takeing a look at the 6.5x'06.  I like the Remington action.  I am not an "expert" though.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a reason most people who build tactical rifles/custom hunting rifles start with a Remington action.  Most "experts" say the Remington is the way to go.  If you look around at all the custom gun makers rifles, most seem to favor using the Remington.

I don't know if you plan on using the stock trigger or not, but I like the Remington better also.  Very easy to adjust to ones personal tastes.  My 22-250's is set at 20oz. and breaks like glass!
guns762
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I think both are very good it is like splitting hairs. Remington won the military contracts not so much cause they are better but because they knew they would be a great advertisement for the company. Remington knew the military would be a pain in the a$$. But now that they hold onto the contracts they are known as military and police suppliers. So the advertisement they get makes up for the agrivation the military gives them. I like the winchester very much but I do like the remington 40X in 308 with a detachable mag. I think if I were to buy one right now with the funds I have, it would be a winchester 70 stealth or the FN model.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#6]
My recent production Model 70 is well-made and extremely accurate.  The Winchester has a number of features that makes it a little more reliable.  The Remington has a number of features that make it theoretically a little more accurate.  I say theoretically, because I doubt you would see any difference on average between factory rifles.  You will not go wrong with either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top