Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2005 1:41:59 PM EDT
Can anyone suggest a very good maker of pool cues?   I would like to give one as a gift but know very little.  Top dollar would be about $1000.00 bucks.  Prefer best possible quality.  Thanks for any and all advice.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd suggest you look at which cue makers sponsor the top 5 pool players & go from there? Look on both male & female players, both are top notch & this ain't golf where you have to hit it hard.

There's a web site or two that carries pro pool players rankings, tourney results & such. I'm sorry but I can't recall it just now!  

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll probably want to find out what weight of cue the person prefers before you drop a grand on one.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I got mine from Wal-Mart and frankly, I love it..... I do not like wood sticks, and this one is graphite. There cheap.. Straight and shoot great...
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I liked playing Meucci cues......
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Jeez.  There's thousand dollar fucking sticks?  
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#6]
There's a lot of factors that go into expensive pool cues like that. If you're going to drop a g on one, you'd better get the one that they want.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I liked playing Meucci cues......

You also have Joss, and I have a Helmsteader (sp?).  As long as it is straight, its good.  A good pro can beat most people with a broomstick...
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You'll probably want to find out what weight of cue the person prefers before you drop a grand on one.

+1 on finding out preferred weight.

there's lots of very nice cues if you spend that kind of dough.  Best cue I've ever shot was a Schon.  Meucci also has some very nice shooting cues, they have a special shaft design on their high end cues that's very sweet.  I'm sure there are other great choices but those two came to mind... I haven't really shopped that price range of the market much LOL
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like a lighter Meucci.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A good pro can beat most people with a broomstick...

An average pro could beat most players with a CROOKED broomstick.....
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Vikings are nice
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I was going to say the some thing - HOLY SHIT!
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A good pro can beat most people with a broomstick...

An average pro could beat most players with a CROOKED broomstick.....

I also prefer crooked sticks.

Its like built in english.

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#14]
The cue I WANT

I've wanted a Gambler for years.
I am neither good enough, nor shoot enough, to justify spending that kind of money.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The cue I WANT

I've wanted a Gambler for years.
I am neither good enough, nor shoot enough, to justify spending that kind of money.

Is anyone else weired out by this description:

"Black Dice in the Butt" ????????

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Easily.

Maybe it was at least 10 years ago when I took up an interest in playing pool.

I went to a "pro-shop" to find myself a nice reasonably priced cue and was stunned at some of the prices.

I forget the name of the cue that Paul Newman gave Tom Cruise in "The Color of Money", but the manufactuerer is real and the prices are obscene.

Think pre-ban Colt listings at gushows or GunsAmerica.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Personally, I think that it would be kind of hard to just buy one as a present, unless you already knew one that they wanted.  Cues are a fairly personal item.  Meucci's are good (that's what both of mine are), but they are very flexible and have fairly small tips.  Everyone has their own preference.  Your best bet is to try and find out the weight that they use and what stick they are currently using.  This will get you pointed in the right direction.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I forget the name of the cue that Paul Newman gave Tom Cruise in "The Color of Money", but the manufactuerer is real and the prices are obscene.

From Wikipedia:

Tom Cruise did most of the trick shots himself using a Joss N-7 custom-made cue (many people incorrectly believe that it is a Meucci). One exception is a trick where Cruise had to jump two balls to sink another. Scorsese didn't mind letting Cruise learn the shot, but he said it would cost too much and it would take two days. Thus, the shot was performed by professional player Mike Sigel.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I play on the APA league.  My team came in 2nd place last year for the whole region.  We almost made it to Vegas for the nationals.

I play with Viking Cues and Meucci Cues.  Both you can acquire for under $1k

You can save a lot of money looking on ebay from authorized dealers.

I'd go their websites and see what you like.  A good cue feels like a good cue.  Get one and you'll be happy.  Like optics, you get what you pay for.

www.vikingcue.com/

www.meuccicues.com/
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a players cue.  It's not top quality by any means.  I think I paid 90 dollars for it.  

If you don't even know what companies make good cues get one that is straight!  A good player will beat you with a bent bar cue over your fancy 1000.00 cue
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Joss, Meucci, Viking, Mcdermott, Balabushka, Schon, take your pick. I use a Huebler and love it. Be careful with Meucci though, most people either love em or hate em, no in between.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

And then some. Custom made cues by George Balabushka, Gus or Barry Szamboti, Pete Tascarella, Richard Black, Dennis Searing, Southwest and Paul Mottey just to name a few can run anywhere from a few thousand dollars to over $15,000. The single most important factor in purchasing any cue is the total weight with a shaft. Most professional players use 19 - 20 ounce cues.  See if you can find out what weight the recipient prefers.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Schmelke isn't the most expensive cue but very well built and performs beautifully.

Made in Wisconsin USA

I miss mine, left it in a closet in my old house when I moved

GM
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Schmelke isn't the most expensive cue but very well built and performs beautifully.

Made in Wisconsin USA

I miss mine, left it in a closet in my old house when I moved

GM

They're less than an hour away from where I live.  I'd like to get into playing pool more often.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Can anyone suggest a very good maker of pool cues?   I would like to give one as a gift but know very little.  Top dollar would be about $1000.00 bucks.  Prefer best possible quality.  Thanks for any and all advice.

Can you actually play pool?  It sucks having your ass handed to you by someone like me who had 6 bourbons and uses a $8 house stick that is noticeably bent.  Me?  No, I am not a hustler.  Not me.  No,  do these pants make me look fat?  

Nice stick.  $500 a rack?  
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Worth a second reply....wanna buy a watch?

You only see my Balabushka on the second date.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From Wikipedia:

Tom Cruise did most of the trick shots himself using a Joss N-7 custom-made cue (many people incorrectly believe that it is a Meucci). One exception is a trick where Cruise had to jump two balls to sink another. Scorsese didn't mind letting Cruise learn the shot, but he said it would cost too much and it would take two days. Thus, the shot was performed by professional player Mike Sigel.

Even though I like that movie, I don't llove it, there is no 'cut ', 'wardrobe', and 'makeup', along with 'take 2' around this pool hall.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

....I forget the name of the cue that Paul Newman gave Tom Cruise in "The Color of Money", but the manufactuerer is real and the prices are obscene.

Balabushka.  There are other brands which are comparable in price or even higher.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a Viking Cue but McDermott are also nice
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Joss Cues , LTD. in Towson ,Maryland makes some nice cues for resonable prices. Their cues were used in The Color Of Money. I have one of their basic cues without inlays for $220.00, case and thread protectors included. www.josscues.com    

-Smiley
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

....I forget the name of the cue that Paul Newman gave Tom Cruise in "The Color of Money", but the manufactuerer is real and the prices are obscene.

Balabushka.  There are other brands which are comparable in price or even higher.

Quoted:

According to Joss' website all cues used in The Color Of Money were Joss Cues, even the famed
Balabushka.

In 1972 Dan took full control of the business and continues to make the original Joss Cue in Towson, Maryland. Dan's cues were chosen for the film that resuscitated the entire billiard industry, "The Color of Money"; even the cue passed off in the movie as a "Balabushka" is really a Joss. Dan has placed cues in the hands of eight members of the BCA Hall of Fame (Mike Sigel, Eddie Taylor, Nick Varner, Jimmy Moore, Jimmy Caras the late Luther Lassiter, Minnesota Fats and Joe Balsis), plus a roster of active competitors that reads like a who's who of pool. He has also made cues for Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, Paul Newman, Dustin Hoffman, Jimmy Connors and the entire starring cast of TV's Mission Impossible. And he's undoubtedly the only cuemaker who can point to an appearance in the Mercedes Owners/Buyers Guide.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you actually play pool?  It sucks having your ass handed to you by someone like me who had 6 bourbons and uses a $8 house stick that is noticeably bent.  Me?  No, I am not a hustler.  Not me.  No,  do these pants make me look fat?  

Nice stick.  $500 a rack?  

Somehow I knew the forum "hustler" would have to show up and give his two cents worth of bullshit.

Can you actually read?  I asked for advice for a gift for someone else.   But since you asked,  Yes I can actually play pool.  I am 10 or 12 years removed from the top of my game however.  Regardless no one has "handed me my ass" in recent memory.  Furthermore,  I asked for advice because I have not kept up to date with the current market and simply wanted to give the kid something he would be proud of.

If you are really looking for a game, a gentleman's game mind you,  I would gladly arrange such.  
Your offer of $500 per rack is rather cute.  Doesn't anybody play per race anymore?

May I suggest a 100 rack race @ at $75K.  Winner takes all.  Money talks and bullshit walks.  I suggest JOB's private room,  using the house racker and ref.

I will even provide private transportation,  if your local airport can support and turn a Citation.  

And by all means bring your bourbon.  You reek of the typical coin op crowd and do not respect the game.  You don't even understand the true game, "Hustler".

You are in over your head.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Everyone else, Thanks alot for the suggestions.  We ordered a Schon last night.  And he is very happy...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#35]
I was just funin'.  Pack a lunch.  I actually CAN read, I just didn't bother too.  I don't like the lighting at JOB's, and I start small to get the suckers...........

What about the watch?

BTW, glad you made a good gift choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top