Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2001 4:55:07 AM EDT
what falls under the category of a NFA item? this has to deal with my last post on the F/A m-11. thanks

-jay
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 5:14:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Shotguns) With a Barrel Legnth under 18", or an Overall legnth less then 24" (I think that is the OAL on shotties, but i'm not sure)

Rifles) With a BBL legnth less then 16", or an OAL less then 26" (I'm sure about that OAL)

Anything firearm that discharges more than 1 shot with a single pull of the trigger.

Put a stock on your pistol, it becomes a "Short Barreld Rifle"

Also, supressors (Silencers)- But, not for the reasons you may think. They were regulated because they didn't want guys poaching in silence. It had nothing to do with the nefarious mob hitman screwing a silencer on the end of his pistol, and "whacking" someone. Matter of fact, many restrictive Euro nations are much less harsh on silencers/supressors then they are are on other stuff. In Norway, they can be bought as a gun acessory, no paperwork.

Every NFA item must registered with the ATF (Department of the Treasury)
To get one, you have to submit fingerprints, a small photo, and get the signature of the Chief law enforcement officer in your area (Chief of Police, or sometimes a Judge) and pay a $200.00 tax.

There is also a classification called "Any other Weapons"...Smoothbore pistols, and so on...Those are only a %5.00 tax.

There is more, but i'm done typin for now. I'll get into detail later.

mcUZI

Oh yeah. Fun fact about the NFA...
Did you know that it originally was drafted to include handguns??
Yup. That's why the provisions for Short Bareled Rifles and Shotguns exist within the NFA. The gubment wanted to get anything concealable under the blanked of the NFA...

The Nationial Rifle Association fought the handgun clause, and it was removed from the final draft that was passed. But the SBR and SBS clauses were left in....
So, you can own a handgun, and you can own a rifle...
But put a stock on your handgun, or shorten your rifle barrrel to a traditionial handgun legnth, and it's somehow more dangerous [?] [?] [?] [?]
Dumb as hell.
The logic would be consistent if they had regulated handguns along with SBS's and SBR's....But with handguns unregulated, the Short Barrel provisions are bass-ackwards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top