Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2005 11:50:34 AM EDT
Anybody read this?

Amazon

I'm about half way through it. Really good stuff. He's basically using the chapter structure from Origin of Species and updating it with our current knowledge of genetics.

From Library Journal:
Using recent empirical evidence, Jones (genetics, Univ. Coll., London) has updated Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species (l859) so that the fact of organic evolution is both understandable and relevant to today's general reader. He focuses on dogs, whales, snails, insects, bacteria, and, particularly, the AIDS retrovirus in order to illustrate the struggle for existence and descent with modification through genetic variation and natural selection. Special attention is given to social instincts, biogeography, biodiversity, and the evolutionary affinities among similar species through a common descent. The author stresses that all species and their environments are continuously changing (sometimes rapidly, sometimes slowly), e.g., the organisms and their habitats on the Galapagos and Hawaiian Islands. Furthermore, since Darwin's writings, serious problems with the theory of evolution are being solved in light of ongoing scientific discoveries in population genetics, geopaleontology, and radiometric dating techniques. Very informative and cogently argued, this book is an important addition to the natural history literature. Recommended for all science collections.

Link Posted: 5/12/2005 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like an interesting read....might have to check that out. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#2]
not a lot of love for this one
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

OK. Here's is the complete arfcom thread you were seeking:

Poster3: Evolution is a scientific fact.

Poster4: Evolution is crap. It's full of holes and I don't believe it. I am a Creationist.

Poster5: It doesn't make any difference to me. My religious beliefs are not threatened, and in any event, I'm confident that my grandkids will be able to mate with humans and produce viable, fertile offspring.

Poster3: Poster4 is an ignorant hillbilly.

Poster4: Poster3 is a godless communist.

All done. Hope you enjoyed it. The rest of my arfcom brethren may have the evening off, on me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Poster4: Evolution is crap. It's full of holes and I don't believe it. I am a Creationist.

Poster5: It doesn't make any difference to me. My religious beliefs are not threatened, and in any event, I'm confident that my grandkids will be able to mate with humans and produce viable, fertile offspring.

All done. Hope you enjoyed it. The rest of my arfcom brethren may have the evening off, on me.

You forgot:

Poster 6:  I Like Pie
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does that count as a hijack?

Link Posted: 5/12/2005 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like something I might wanna read.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#9]
BTT for the night shift
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#10]
If you get caught with this book in Kansas they'll burn you at the stake.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Looks like a good book.  Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#12]
ok, so I finished the book last night.

as noted earlier, it's the Origin of Species updated with our current knowledge of DNA, genetics, geology, etc.

There's far more specific evidence for evolution that I had initially thought.

It was a great read and I'll send to any team member who would like to read it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I have read it and thought it was a great book. Try reading "The Blind Watchmaker" or "The Selfish Gene" both by Richard Dawkins.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have read it and thought it was a great book. Try reading "The Blind Watchmaker" or "The Selfish Gene" both by Richard Dawkins.

I have "The Selfish Gene" and read through a few chapters....I need to finish that one.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

as noted earlier, it's the Origin of Species updated with our current knowledge of DNA, genetics, geology, etc.

How 'bout sending it to a team member who is low on TP?

[edit: just kidding...]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There aren't enough pages in this book to wipe all of the shit that some of you spew.

<zing>
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There aren't enough pages in this book to wipe all of the shit that some of you spew.

<zing>

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top