User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 5/12/2005 1:35:11 AM EDT
109th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 1703
To restore the second amendment rights of all Americans.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

April 19, 2005
Mr. PAUL introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary, and in addition to the Committee on Ways and Means, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To restore the second amendment rights of all Americans.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Second Amendment Protection Act of 2005'.

SEC. 2. REPEAL OF FEDERAL HARASSMENT PERIOD.

Public Law 103-159 is repealed, and any provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted.

SEC. 3. REPEAL OF UNCONSTITUTIONAL DISTINCTION.

(a) Section 5845(f) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended--

(1) by striking `which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes'; and

(2) by striking `which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes'.

(b) Section 921(a)(4)(B) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking `which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes'.

(c) Section 921(a)(4) of such title is amended in the 2nd sentence by striking `which the owner intends to use solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes'.

(d) Section 921(a)(17)(C) of such title is amended by striking `a projectile which the Attorney General finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes,'.

(e) Section 923(j) of such title is amended by striking `devoted to the collection, competitive use, or other sporting use of firearms in the community'.

(f) Section 922(r) of such title is amended by striking `of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes'.

(g) Section 925(a)(3) of such title is amended by striking `determined by the Attorney General to be generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes and'.

(h) Section 925(a)(4) of such title is amended by striking `(A) determined by the Attorney General to be generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes, or determined by the Department of Defense to be a type of firearm normally classified as a war souvenir, and (B)'.

(i) Section 925(d)(3) of such title is amended by striking `and is generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes'.

(j) Section 925(e)(2) of such title is amended by striking `provided that such handguns are generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes'.

(k) Section 922 of such title is amended in each of subsections (a)(5), (a)(9), and (b)(3) by striking `lawful sporting purposes' and inserting `lawful purposes'.

SEC. 4. EFFECTIVE DATE.

The provisions of this Act shall take effect immediately upon enactment.
Here is a sample letter of what I sent.

Dear [whoever],
I am writing to you today to encourage you to support HR 1703 to help restore our second amendment rights guaranteed to us by the constitution. Clandestine individuals within the government would rather strip away individual rights the founding fathers helped to secure through bloodshed and war.

For years anti-gun forces have worked hard to strip away freedom from the people of this country. It's time that we took some of our freedom back from them. They have long argued that the 2nd amendment is not an individual right and civilians should only own sporting purpose weapons. The founding fathers themselves illustrated through testimony, convention and writ that it is right the opposite. The citizens of this country have every right to military-grade and military-style weapons for the purpose of home defense, security and homeland defense. In 1787 testimony was given to the 2nd amendment as being an individual right. The very basis of the constitutional conventions in the time period was the establishment of the bill of rights for the sole purpose of protecting individual rights and liberties. There is no reason it should be any different today. I am writing to ask you to help support and spread the word concerning HR 1703. Please help us gather support for this bill to help restore rights that should have been guaranteed and untouched.

If this bill passes it will be a crippling blow against the forces of tyranny and oppression.
Please help American Citizens regain their rights.
Sincerely,
Vol

Mods please tack this and keep it tacked. thanks. I've set everything up. Take five minutes and write the letter. you have NOTHING to lose. There is NO reason or excuse for you not to write the letter. If you're coming here to doomsay, naysay or bark about how this will never see the light of day, then go somewhere else. The only reason this shouldn't see the light of day is because of the lack of effort from gun owners. SO MAKE AN EFFORT!
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 1:36:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Done and now hoping
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 1:37:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Done and now hoping

so am I. hoping it passes or makes it to the floor and hoping gun owners will get off their butts.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 1:38:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Done and now hoping

so am I. hoping it passes or makes it to the floor and hoping gun owners will get off their butts.

Yes please, I would go broke for sure
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 2:05:41 AM EDT
[#4]
done
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 3:09:26 AM EDT
[#5]
BTT, everyone take part in this.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 3:48:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Done!
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 3:52:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Can we get a tack?  This is extremely important!
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 4:14:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Done....
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 4:17:46 AM EDT
[#9]
be sure to send snail mail too guys. reps usually dont regard e-mails as serious. send emails too if you want but snail mail and calls work best. if you're worried about long distance, don't be. there should be a local number. get to it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 4:29:42 AM EDT
[#10]
done and bump!
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 5:01:01 AM EDT
[#11]
i am in, this is great
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#12]
The problem is that people only really mobilize when they are afraid of losing something, not to get something. This bill  unfortunately, won't get the support it needs.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#14]
+1

Quoted:
Can we get a tack?  This is extremely im=portant!

Link Posted: 5/12/2005 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Hammer the NRA they are doing NOTHING!!!!

Member email contact
Email any Republican on the ways and means committee.
Committee chairman
phone 202-225-3625   Fax 202-225-2610
Harrass your Rep's and Sen's
US House find yours
Find your Senator

Judiciary Committee

Committee chairman  Ph#  202-225-5101  
Comm. Ph#  202-225-3951

Link Posted: 5/12/2005 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Which one of my Sens. should I contact?; feinstein or boxer
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

both, and often.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 2:03:59 PM EDT
[#18]
BTT
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Contact someone else say Jim McCrery of LA. CoChair of the committee.  Or the commitee head.  See my post above.

Any possibility of getting a tack?
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Try your person in the House
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Will this still be pending when the Republicans do away with the fillibuster??????
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#22]
bump and another tack request
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#23]
+1 for Bump and Tack.

Who is Mr. Paul?
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Congressmen typically don't take the time to sit down and really read all the letters, faxes and emails so here's what I sent:

Dear Congresman Goodlatte,

PLEASE SUPPORT HR 1703

Sincerely,

Cougar8045

ETA: More people will see this thread if we bump it occasionally rather than tack it, IMO
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The problem is that people only really mobilize when they are afraid of losing something, not to get something. This bill  unfortunately, won't get the support it needs.

write anyways. you have NOTHING to loose.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Mod's! Please tack this topic AGAIN and dont remove it

Sending Letters an E-mail
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

write anyways. you have NOTHING to loose.

My NRA-"A" rated rep Price (R-GA) did not even reply with a canned response.

At least the Bojanges twins Chambliss and Isaakson give you a good pro-gun song and dance show.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Congressmen typically don't take the time to sit down and really read all the letters, faxes and emails so here's what I sent:

Dear Congresman Goodlatte,

PLEASE SUPPORT HR 1703

Sincerely,

Cougar8045

Why not do both???

ETA: More people will see this thread if we bump it occasionally rather than tack it, IMO

Link Posted: 5/12/2005 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is an 800 number for NRA customer service I was told they can redirect you to someone with whom you can complain to about their non-support of this ammendment.  1800 672 3888
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow, this is one hell of a way to do my first post.  I contacted my Congressman (Chris Chocola R-IN) this morning and this is the reply I got this afternoon.

May 12, 2005

Dear Steven:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the important issue of your Second Amendment rights. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As you may know, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and have received an "A" rating by the NRA. I believe the Constitution is unequivocal in stating that the right to bear arms is an individual right. I will continue to defend your right to keep and bear arms, as guaranteed by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and the Indiana State Constitution, and I can assure you I will not vote for any legislation that would infringe upon that right.

You should also know that I cosponsored the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2003 (H.R. 218), which exempts current and former law enforcement officers from State laws prohibiting the carrying of concealed handguns.  H.R. 218 passed in the House on June 23, 2004, and President Bush signed it into law on July 22, 2004.  I am also a cosponsor of the Secure Access to Firearms Enhancement (SAFE) Act of 2003 (H.R. 990), which provides for reciprocity with regard to the manner in which nonresidents of a State may carry certain concealed firearms in that State.  H.R. 990 has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee.  Finally, I am a cosponsor of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (H.R. 1036), which would prohibit civil liability actions against manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or importers of firearms or ammunition for
damages resulting from the misuse of their products.  I voted for H.R. 1036 when it passed in the House on April 9, 2003.  It has been referred to the Senate for consideration.  As Congress continues to consider gun control legislation, I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind.    

Once again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future.

Yours truly,

Chris Chocola
Member of Congress

I cannot believe my Congressman got back to me so quick, Kick Ass!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#31]
that's good news. keep it up.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Shuld we not say something like

Please support HR 1703 which will limit gun imports to guns used for a LAWFUL PURPOSE?

That sounds alot better.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#33]
OH NO IT SAYS SECOND AMENDMENT!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#34]
BTT, EVERYONE take part in this........ take five minutes and write the stupid letter. it's not going to kill you. 412 people have seem this thread so far...... but only 33 have replied that they are doing something. that's very sad.

MOBILIZE!
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#35]
done
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#36]
bump, hoping to get it tacked
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I need someone to hook me up with the contact info of my relevent politicians.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I need someone to hook me up with the contact info of my relevent politicians.

www.house.gov/
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#39]
bump, this is the most  important thing you will do today, guys.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I sent an email a few days ago and maybe I'll sent out a letter later on here.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Sent to one of the Congress critters.  Got a GOOD reply:

"Dear Andrew:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 1703, the Second Amendment Protection Act of 2005. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

My position as an unapologetic defender of Second Amendment Rights is well-known among Congress, and I can assure you that I will do all I can to continue to uphold Second Amendment Rights.  I continually cast votes in favor of allowing law-abiding citizens the freedom to lawfully purchase and own firearms.  When our adversaries on this issue want to take away this constitutional right, they will find me on the side of the Constitution.

H.R. 1703 was introduced on March 19th by Rep. Ron Paul of Texas. This legislation aims to repeal the federal harassment period, public law 103-159, and any provisions of law amended or repealed by this act would be restored. This bill would also repeal certain distinctions within the Internal Revenue Code. This legislation was referred to both the House Judiciary Committee and the House Ways and Means Committee.

Should the Second Amendment Protection Act, or any other legislation involving gun control issues come before the House for a vote, I will keep your thoughts in mind. Thank you for your letter, I look forward to hearing from you in the future.  

Sincere regards,

Roy Blunt
Member of Congress "

And Matt, Roy's son, is the governor of MO, so no stupid gun laws here for the next few years.  MO, with the exception of those festering sores known as St Louis and Kansas City, is VERY pro gun.

Link Posted: 5/12/2005 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Sent this to Joe Barton, my Rep.

Congressman Barton,

I am emailing you to voice my support for H.R. 1703: To restore the second amendment rights of all Americans.  I urge you to sign on as a co-sponsor of this legislation.

As a firearms collector, I enjoy many of the quailty long arms which are prohibited from further import by executive order.

There is alread a supply of these firearms in the country, but their limited supply makes them cost prohibitive for all but the wealthy shooter.

Thank you again for your time, Sir.

Regards,

nationwide,,
Arlington, TX

Link Posted: 5/12/2005 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#43]
It's been nearly a month and so far not much progress.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Hey, did anyone besides me see our Secretary of STate, Ms. Condolezza Rice on the Larry King Show last night?

SHE WAS GREAT!  King tried to corner her about "what's your position on the 2nd Amendment".  (King - love him/hate him).   You know what Conde said?   "Larry, you can't pick and choose which amendments you respect , it's ONE consititution".   King, "you support guns",  Condo, "yes Larry, it is an individual right of the people, I FULLY SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT".  

At this point I was starting to love this woman.   She continues... Conde, "Larry, I very clearly remember my dad and some other men in the neighborhood taking their guns at night to the entrance of the neighborhood to defend us during the civil right unrest"  "The Sherrif wasn't going to protect us, the people had to protect themselves"    King, "but Conde, that was then, do you still think people should have guns today?????"   Conde, "YES Larry, very much."

The above isn't exact, but it's pretty darn close.   I love that Woman - BOOOOOYA !  
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#45]
This is about the 5th post on this bill but it is a very worthy cause, this is the response I got from the NRA-ILA, they did respond to the e-mail I sent them within 24hrs.

Rep. Ron Paul (R, TX) introduces this legislation every congress and unfortunately it never makes it out of committee.  We are focusing our attention on the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act right now.  While HR 1703 is a good piece of legislation, we would not be doing ourselves or our members any favors by focusing attention on legislation that has no hope of moving forward at this time.  If that changes and the committee decides to move on HR 1703 we'll be on it.  We only have so many cards to play and it is important to focus on legislation where we can make the most impact.

Thanks and let me know if you need anything else.

Sincerely,

Joel Brewer
NRA-ILA
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#46]
keep the letters going. someone call up that NRA person and talk them into it. harrass the shit out of them. anyone here a life member with a counting vote?

blackmail em if you have to.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Emailed Hatch and Bennet, lets see what happens
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
This is about the 5th post on this bill but it is a very worthy cause, this is the response I got from the NRA-ILA, they did respond to the e-mail I sent them within 24hrs.

Rep. Ron Paul (R, TX) introduces this legislation every congress and unfortunately it never makes it out of committee.  We are focusing our attention on the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act right now.  While HR 1703 is a good piece of legislation, we would not be doing ourselves or our members any favors by focusing attention on legislation that has no hope of moving forward at this time.  If that changes and the committee decides to move on HR 1703 we'll be on it.  We only have so many cards to play and it is important to focus on legislation where we can make the most impact.

Sincerely,

Joel Brewer
NRA-ILA

While it pains me to read that I very much understand were he is coming from.  One winnable battle at a time.

That said, while the NRA as a lobbying body focuses on one target the Arfcom Army and like minded groups can fight for this bill.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Sincerely,

Joel Brewer
NRA-ILA

I got the same goddamn letter, word for fucking word it seems to be a pattern response.  Write a letter save the letter and send it constantly, in short flood them.  Hammer your shitheel politicians too!!!!!!!  

Come on people do your part see page 1 for info and links.  Please!
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#50]
yes..... hammering them will get their attention.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top