Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2001 10:51:23 AM EDT
Hi All!!! So glad I found you! Have a AR-15 and need to know what is better for target shooting...Should I have a 20" or 24" barrel?

Also, I am considering buying an Armalite Ar-10. What caliber is best in your opinion? These are strictly for enjoyment and range shooting. Please help!

WOW! Didn't know there were so many members of this forum! So thankful you all are here! "Come on up and see me some time!"
Maewestcoast
HAHA Fixed that sucker! Now it reads inches!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I am considering buying an Armalite Ar-10. What caliber is best in your opinion?
View Quote

That's going to be a tough choice. [8D]
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey Folks! I like a gun with a big kick, like the old double-barrel rifles. Any suggestions? Yes, it is a tough choice! Gee, I just got into this gun thing about a yr ago and don't know much. But I sure like what I read and see!
Beekeeper!!! You go ahead and knit pic all you want! Guess I had other things on my mind?!!! hahaha
Mae
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#4]
If you never use the AR for anything but target shooting, get the 24" and enjoy the accuracy. A 16" is mush more portable and better for tactical situations, so if you can on afford one, a 20" is a good compromise.

For your AR-10 - I recommend .308 because ammo is readily accessable and none of the other rounds are particularly superior to it anyway. With .223 and .308, it's easy to expand your collection without expanding to a plethora of calibers

Quoted:
Hi All!!! So glad I found you! Have a AR-15 and need to know what is better for target shooting...Should I have a 20" or 24" barrel?

Also, I am considering buying an Armalite Ar-10. What caliber is best in your opinion? These are strictly for enjoyment and range shooting. Please help!

WOW! Didn't know there were so many members of this forum! So thankful you all are here! "Come on up and see me some time!"
Maewestcoast
HAHA Fixed that sucker! Now it reads inches!!
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Beekeeper-
I am a lady, but what difference does it make to contact Imbrog|io? Does he not accept any questions other from ladies? Or....are you just trying to find out a little info for yourself??? [:I]
giggle giggle!
Seriously-will try and look up Imbrog|io soon!
Thanks!
Mae
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey Beekeeper!! Glad you are married to the perfect woman! Just teasin'!!
Was nice to speak with you about all this! BF really knows nothing about guns :( I really do appreciate the info! Hope you and your wife are blessed to be together a looong time!
(Sounds like I want to go for the 24" for precision.)
Thanks again! Will watch for Imbrog!!
Mae
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am lucky to be married to the perfect woman.
View Quote

when did we get married?

just kidding.  couldn't resist that one.  especially for the breaking wind comment on the other thread.  that was mean...but good.

maewest, imbrog seems to have a tough time hooking up with the ladies. i haven't decided yet whether he's yanking our collective chain or really is that miserable.  (poor guy!)  and the comment on barrel length was double egded.  *nod, nod, wink, wink*

glad to have a fellow "chick" around.  but beware, there are dangerous waters in this mostly-happy land of AR15.com.  i've got the map if you're interested.  [;)]
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll be the first to ask:  PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS [}:D]

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I look forward to see the knife beekeeper (the handle mostly, I'm sure I can take your word about how well the blade cuts/looks).  Hey, what about Maewest pictures.  Her, ARlady and MM should start a thread and do a "whose the hottest".  [thinking]

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#15]
ARLady....I live for danger! hahaha
Thanks! Guess we are gonna have to work on imbrog!
Looks like this is gonna be a fun place to be!
Gotta love these "guys"!
Have a good one!
Mae
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 1:00:47 AM EDT
[#16]
mae,

The 50 or so extra fps available from the 24" doesn't really add to the "precision" of the piece. It does increase in barrel time dramatically tho.

The .223 was designed around a 20" tube so the cartridges don't show any improvement with a longer one.

Look to the 1,000 yard guys for proof.

Now, when you start talking .308 the 24" is a better choice but you didn't ask that.

Seems odd to use the 15 for targets and the 10 for enjoyment tho since .308 is a better long range caliber and .223 is cheaper.

There must be a lot of perfect women out there.

Tweak.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 5:53:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Welcome! First question is, are you talking about serious target shooting with a quality scope, from a bench, or plinking at cans with open sights?
If the former is the case, a 24" fluted bull barrel will offer better accuracy due to higher velocity, less barrel flex, better heat dissipation, and greater stability due to increased weight. Put a 3.5lb lead weight in the buttstock, and you have a rock solid platform on the sand bags.

Concerning the AR10, the -10T in 243Win is a comfortable shooter with longer range than the .223.. The ammo is not any more expensive than quality .308 ammo, and if accuracy is your priority, you wouldn't be shooting cheap surplus rounds anyway. Disclaimer: I am prejudiced towards the .243, as I have one for sale at a reasonable price.

In a nutshell, longer and thicker = better aim and deeper penetration.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hey Folks! I like a gun with a big kick, like the old double-barrel rifles.  Any suggestions?
View Quote

Yeah, an AR-10 in .338 Lapua.
Any other questions? [;)]

[brown]Evil Jewbroni~[/brown]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looks like this is gonna be a fun place to be!
View Quote

mae,

If it helps there is also a local (I see you are in OR) email list and we love our black guns up here. They seem to be the focal point of our shooting get togethers, most of the wives shoot so you you won't be alone in the woods with the menfolk. [:)] Most of the local AR15-L members are onboard there too.

The list is more for cameraderie than anything else tho. AR15.com is the best place for AR intel.

We also have members in OR. If you are interested the page is:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wa-shooters
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn! I won't be alone in the woods with a bunch of men and guns!! Ah Crap and I thought I would get all the attention! hahaha Thanks-I'll look at that site.
I prefer using both for enjoyment...whether at the range or out in the woods. I don't go hunting except for fowl. I am not into killing "Bambi". Ok -come on-- I have to be all woman somewhere!
Wouldn't mind getting a really big caliber gun and goin' bear shooting though! heehee
Love the loud boom they make! Better than , well we won't go there now!
Thanks all!
Mae
PS< Shame on you Bandit for stealing his lines! But oh so cute!
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In a nutshell, longer and thicker = better aim and deeper penetration.
View Quote

Please don't steal Imbrog|io's lines.  LOL
View Quote

My apologies to Imbro... I haven't been keeping up with his lines.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 6:12:05 AM EDT
[#24]
:-)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top