Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:51:57 AM EDT
[#1]
You all forgot one of the coolest ar features, the straight line from the top run of the buttstock to the muzzle, the lines of the gun make it look like the barrel extends all the way back to the rear of the buffer tube pefectly parallel with the top of the buttstock, I've been told that could help a lot in a sticky situation where there is no time to obtain a perfect sight picture.

And I LIKE the screen-door sound!
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 4:07:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
[b][blue][size=2]Last time I shot a mini-14 it choked on milspec ammo.  Ran fine on Georgia Arms reloads, but wouldn't take full power ammo.

Sorry, but I dont' need a finiky gun like that.  My AR runs on everything, not just low power stuff.[/blue][/size=2][/b]
View Quote

It might have been the particular Mini you were using.  Mine is a 188 series and it handles Q3131 and M855 w/ 100% reliability.  Its actually fairly accurate w/ the M855.  As far as mags go I guess I lucked out b/c mine works flawlessly even w/ cheap USA mags.  I have no complaints about my Mini 14.  I will also mention that I have only fired it twice in the last two years.  Gee...that's funny, I got my MT6601C about two years ago. [;)]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 4:37:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Y'all done been trolled by tloc45 or whomever that troll was. Everyone knows the Ruger is a piece of shyt. Troll: me(my AR) 'n you(yer POS mini-14). 600 yards MR-1 target. You lose.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 5:06:16 AM EDT
[#4]
lol i understand the intent of the original poster so i wont burt a vein in my neck.

I will only say if you truly think the mini is superior to the ar-15 tell me where you get your meth from it must be some good sheet. [smoke]

The A team didnt need accurate quality guns they used duct tape and rubber bands to do their killin'.
At least i think they did i only saw their hands making the stuff [kill]

And yes some of the south american countries use the mini. a buddy of mine went down to some hole down there and he said he saw some guy in a green fatuges standing gard in a make shift airport holding a mini.[sleep]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 5:51:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I own both of them and i would take the ar over the mini but i still enjoy the mini as a plinker but it is no match in accuracy against the ar.As long as you can get good mags for the mini they are ok.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Opinions, opinions, I like the mini14 but I love my AR.  It all comes down to personal opinions.  I myself am considering buying a mini14 so I have a gun that I can abuse and not rally care about.  Cheap
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#7]
looking at a mini right now for a cheap blaster...hey if it chokes on "Q" loads, who cares?....[heavy]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been kinda lucky I guess.   My mini shoots 2 1/4" groups at 100yds.  Never has hickuped.  I love the way it looks and the trigger is about 100 times better than my AR stock trigger.  All that said I would trade it in a minute if I could get close to buying the AR-15 limited Edition M-4.  guns7.62
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with everyone,but since were talking about the A-team, does anyone know where to get the stainless folding stock with the folding buttplate.I've been looking 4 yeaaaaaaars.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#10]
The two main advantages of the Mini.
1) The cost. It is still a little cheaper.
2) The AR's will be banned before the Mini-14.

"A Mini in your hand is better than a AR seized"
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I have both.  Have any of you ever shot a 30 round mag 'quickly' through a Mini-14?  If you have, you prolly did what I did.  Trade it, sell it, give it away!

The Ruger Company's political correctness aside,
what do you say about a company that refuses or fails to provide replacement parts for their weapons?  Oh yeah, send your complete weapon to their factor for a new bolt, etc., that's the kind of weapon I want when the SHTF!!!

Seriously, now, I know why you bought it (I had six at one time), why haven't you sold it and bought an AR?

It can't be the price differential, 'cause the price of a NIB Mini-14 with SIX original hi-cap mags, is more than the cost of a NIB Colt post-ban AR with SIX original hi-cap mags.

Eric The Hun
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a ranch years ago and found to be reliable, however it gave a shotgun type groups on a man size target at 50 yards. The ones we used in D.O.C. were th GB model with the folding stocks, these shot better than the civie models but not much. You have piss poor sights on the mini and it suffers from shifting zero problems due to the wood stosk. The AR  is more accurate by a long shot,not to mention you can pretty much have several different rifles in seconds on just one lower!
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 6:12:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is what I did to improve the sights on my ranch rifle.  It helped my improve my accuracy.
I had to paint the blade on the Choate sight because it was had to see in the rocks shooting rock chucks.
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1602919&a=12219456&p=44692417[/img]
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1602919&a=12219456&p=44692416[/img]
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1602919&a=12219456&p=44470278[/img]
I used a M-1 carbine rear sight that I modified to get a better apature.
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1602919&a=12219456&p=44470281[/img] guns7.62
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 6:49:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Everyone has their own opinion, but is there a perfect rifle? If you were in the special forces and were put into various assingments you would love the fact that different manufacturers make different guns I'm sure. Yes we all have our favorites as I my own, but I sure wouldn't want to have to storm a building with my favorite, the M14, as I wouldn't want to rely on a Mini-14 or Ar for a sniper role. And I definitely wouldn't want to use a HK mp5 for that sniper role either, but I sure would pick that for a hostage situation in close quarters.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a mini once.Then I got a life. But seriously folks, comparing a mini to an AR is comparing apples to oranges. Two different rifles designed for two different applications. I'd like to compare R & D price tags. Not much R&D went into the mini compared to the AR. Nothing approaches the AR for accessories, though.. If you don't believe that, just look thru a Brownel's sometime.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 5:22:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Having shot and cleaned both I must disagree with all of your post. Everyone has there own idea's, that's what makes the world go round but lets keep the facts straight. You must compair apples to apples not apples to oranges. The ar is a much better rifle for what it was made for.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 6:20:06 AM EDT
[#17]
my opoinion well i had to sell my last ruger i had but intend to get another one soon
guns762 WOW looks good!

Ruger Mini14's pros and cons:
pros
1. one of the last Simi's to be banned i beleave hanguns would be banned before the mini
would be.
2. reliable! ive shot ammo that the ar would caugh up on.
3. there used around the world. in limited cases. but still used.
4. has for parts they can be machined easly.
5. they make 10 round mags now you would be on about equal terms has and sks and there still used today.
6. i can go to Wal-Mart right know and buy one.

cons:
1. cast i think if they made them out of forged
metal instead of cast that would be a plus.

2. the barrels are too thin.

3. if forgotten for about a week or more the piston Will rust the bolt shut ive seen this happen.

4. sights do suck.

5. 30 round mags suck other than factory and iam not going to pay ove 100.00 apeace for them.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top