Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2001 4:21:33 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Times
Wednesday, July 4, 2001

NRA Gets Money's Worth
Editorial

The boast last year from one of its top officials that the National Rifle Assn. would practically have an office in the White House if George W. Bush won the presidency was not an idle one. First Bush appointed John Ashcroft, a life member of the NRA, as attorney general. Now Ashcroft is recklessly pandering to the gun lobby with an order requiring the FBI to step up its destruction of gun background check records. This will surely undermine even Ashcroft's stated goal of coming down harder on gun crime.
    In February, Ashcroft declared there are "enough [gun] laws on the books." In May, the president offered funds to Ashcroft's Justice Department to hire additional prosecutors and get tougher on violators of existing gun laws. Gun rights advocates much prefer this to new limits on firearms ownership. Many gun control groups also support such vigorous prosecution but see it as only a partial answer.
    Last week, the attorney general appeared to pull the rug out from under that plan, ordering the FBI to destroy government records on millions of gun purchases almost immediately after the weapons are sold. Since 1998 the FBI has operated a nationwide clearinghouse, reviewing about 7 million gun purchases a year for evidence of fraud and corruption. About half the states rely on the FBI's database to perform background checks required under the federal Brady law. California officials perform this check using first a more detailed state database, although they also check with the FBI.
    The FBI clears most purchases in a matter of seconds, once it determines the gun buyer has no criminal record or other problems that would void the purchase. This system also blocked more than 153,000 illegal gun sales last year. The FBI has said, however, that it needs at least 90 days to periodically audit these gun checks to ensure that they have been properly done--for example, determining whether gun buyers have used false identification. Ashcroft will cut that window to a single business day if his order stands. That would leave federal officials with no way to police the background check system and would hamstring efforts to track gun criminals.
    The NRA spent $20 million in the last election to help put into the White House the man who appointed Ashcroft. So far, it has certainly gotten what it paid for, and more.
    The rule will go into effect after a 60-day comment period. Ashcroft is unlikely to budge, but the expressed concern of citizens could give pause to the White House.
    To Take Action: Telephone Atty. Gen. Ashcroft's office at (202) 514-2001 or e-mail [email protected].

http://www.latimes.com/news/comment/20010704/t000055004.html
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 4:38:39 AM EDT
[#1]
"The NRA spent $20 million in the last election to help put into the White House the man who appointed Ashcroft. So far, it has certainly gotten what it paid for, and more."

Well, thank you Liberal Media Elites, we are very pleased thus far with our elected officials performance.

See you again in 2004?  Wouldn't miss for anything!

And do remember, we are the ones with the guns.
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 4:43:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Ashcroft is unlikely to budge, but the expressed concern of citizens could give pause to the White House.

To Take Action: Telephone Atty. Gen. Ashcroft's office at (202) 514-2001 or e-mail [email protected].
View Quote

[email protected] can be used to send along a note of thanks too.
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 5:03:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ashcroft is unlikely to budge, but the expressed concern of citizens could give pause to the White House.

View Quote

[email protected] can be used to send along a note of thanks too.
View Quote

Done!  Although I daresay my message to Ashcroft was not what the LA birdcage liner had in mind.[;D]
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
"The NRA spent $20 million in the last election to help put into the White House the man who appointed Ashcroft. So far, it has certainly gotten what it paid for, and more."

Well, thank you Liberal Media Elites, we are very pleased thus far with our elected officials performance.
View Quote

And how much did the anti-gunners spend trying to get Gore into office? That's what I want to know. 20 mil doesn't say much when you don't have anything to compare with. I hate when journalists try to prove stuff with numbers and they can't even do it right.
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Message sent.
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn, I'm still adjusting to the fact that both the Attorney General and the President of the US are supportive of gun rights, and are actually taking actions that make it harder for future administrations to confiscate our guns.  It's such a nice feeling!
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep
Just sent a thank you note.

[%(]
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Praise has been sent.

Always accentuate the positive.
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Now all we need are some repeals, like the self-repealing Crime Bill. I hope GWB gets rid of papa's Executive Order but I think that's a longshot.
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Now this is more like what WE should be doing, instead of bitchin' about the NRA.  Even if you don't like the NRA for some eclectic reason, you have to admit they have an impressive array of enemies.

The ancient Persian saying goes [i]'Dusmani, dusmaniman dustamani.'[/i] ('The enemy of my enemy is my friend.')

Eric The(DusmaniThis,Ya'Bastids)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Let's not forget that the NRA had a hand in getting the California Assault weapons ban overturned. I just want to say that the NRA isn't perfect, but for all of the bashers out there: See what my NRA is doing!-now what have you done for the 2nd amendment lately?
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Wish List item #1:

1) President Ashcroft
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Wish List Item # 2:  Vice President Heston

Sent AG Ashcroft the following:

I fully support AG Ashcroft's stance on gun control.  There are more than 22,000 firearm related laws.  Let's enforce these and leave my constitutionally protected rights alone.  If the gun control liberals are allowed to move forward unchecked, we can look forward to the day when we'll speak of the Bill of Rights in past tense terms.
View Quote

Eddie
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I just despise these "NRA gets / does" this or that editorials.

They are little more than gutless attacks on the citizenry. Written by pukes who don't have the "stones" to say what they REALLY think about individual citizens.

The NRA is nothing more than 4,000,000+ citizens who are united in purpose. The NRA would be NOTHING without these 4,000,000+ individuals.

I wish these liberal pukes would stop being such weenies, and hiding behind bashing an organization, when their REAL intention is to attack 4,000,000+ citizens.

Its NOT that the NRA got its monies worth - its that 4,000,000+ citizens united in purpose, and got what they wanted thru legal, electoral channels. AND that the Liberal whiners are SCARED TO DEATH of citizens united in purpose. So they create the "NRA boogeyman" and bash away.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#15]
my $30.00 turned into $20,000,000 AND got Ashcroft appointed?  Ahhhhhh...money well spent, I got MY money's worth!!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Done!   [^]

-BK

Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#17]
You know, fattyM4 makes an interesting point: the media talks about the NRA like it's an out-of-control force, instead of a representative voice of millions and millions of members. Why is there no anti-gun group as large or well-organized? Becuase the public support just isn't there. NRA members put their money where their mouth is and we got the job done, this time.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#18]
My response has been sent.  Thanks Friz, for the info and the opportunity to speak out here.  As B. Franklin said, 'If we don't hang together, we will surely hang separetly,"  on these gun issues.  We just need a whole lot more action.

I try every opportunity I get and support them all i.e.:  NRA, GOA, SAF, CCRKBA. USSF, etc.  You can argue how good any one of these organization is, but I believe they are all we have and we better exert some force and influence with them.  Also, I am constanly writing or calling my state and federal legislators to express my opinion.  In doing this, I have had the opportunity to shoot on the firing range with my congressman, get on a first name basis with my senator, and get to know my local state representative.  Haven't yet had the opportuity to get to know the Governor, yet, though.  But I figure there is still time. [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top