Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2001 9:30:16 PM EDT
I just read the new issue of SHOT Business (Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trade) journal and Remington has announced a new Short Action Magnum to be released this year in the Model 7, and later in the 700.

Initally in .30 Cal., to be followed by the 7mm, it is based on the Ultra Mags already in production.  
Different than the Winchester Short Magnum by being a little shorter in body length; longer neck; and a 30-degree shoulder vs. the WSM's 35-degree shoulder.
Remington is also purported to be developing their own bullet called the Core-Lokt Ultra, concentrating on penetration and weight retention, although accuracy is supposed to be good.
I can't wait to get one of the Model 7's in 7mm.

Any Remington fans as excited as I am about this?
Which caliber do you want, or want them to make?

Link Posted: 7/3/2001 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
sorry double post...
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
remington is a day late and a dollar short on this one.  i doubt that this round will give any significant advantage over the 300 wsm.  i see this new round having about as much success as the 8mm remington mag (ie. none).

now...if remington were to pre-empt the wsm and come out with a 6.5mm version--they might actually gain a following.  there seems to be a very quickly growing cult of 6.5mm lovers.  

sloth  
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Talked to an Armalite VP at the .50 BMG match at NRA Whittington last weekend.  He says Armalite is coming out with an AR10 chambered for the .300 Remington.  He said the Remington brass design makes for a better round.  Told him I wanted the first one.

Arock out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#4]
These cartridges have been in development for over 3 years.  The article stated that Remington didn't want to release all the Ultra Mags AND the Short Action Magnum at the same time, but, decided to release the SAM's now, rather than wait 'til next year due to the Hoopla over the WSM.
Can't say I blame them for going for it, though.
I agree on the 6.5mm release, too.  That would be hot round.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top