Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2001 8:36:30 PM EDT
I'm looking for some general history on the 7.62x39 Colt AR-15.
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what you're looking for in history, but I think they never got big because of a lack of good magazines and because AK's and SKS's were [b]way[/b] less expensive.

Link Posted: 7/4/2001 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't know what you're looking for in history, but I think they never got big because of a lack of good magazines and because AK's and SKS's were [b]way[/b] less expensive.

View Quote
                                           Correct....but there are people out there who own/want to own and love 7-62 ar`s...[smoke]...p/s...check dpms...they still may have a reasonable supply of 762 parts....now, how about 222 cal. ar`s????????....[sniper]
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#3]
 I have one.  Love it.  Model 6830 I believe.  Don't know much history, sorry.  Bought mine in '92 or '93 I think.  Shoots great.  I don't shoot surplus ammo in it.  I have even used it in 2 CMP service rifle matches.   Sold it to a freind once.  Missed it and had to bring it back home.  16" barrel.  Enough for our VA deer at medium ranges.  I see you are in VA also.  Where abouts?  May pass you at the show in Richmond this weekend.

Good shooting!

Dayton  (in Chesterfield)
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Void,

I live in Richmond. I will definitely be at the gun show. Do you know any good outdoor ranges?
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one and love it. True, mags are hard to find and a bit high, so I grab one when I see it usually.
It's a hoot to shoot, more bang and kick than the 5.56. Cheaper to shoot too!
Use only the USA mags myself. The only decent thing USA ever made IMHO.
jneal
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't help you on the history, but if you are interested in one, I have a slightly used 20" flattop post ban upper on a new Match Target post ban lower for sale.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Colt introduced the R6830 Sporter Lightweight 7.62x39 in 1993. They were offered until about 1995-1996.

The gun itself had an A2 type lower receiver with the standard reinforcements, mag fence, large trigger/disconnector pins, sear block (only pinned on one side), and mil-spec size forward takedown pin (although they still came with the two piece screw and may or may not have come with the fence drilled to accept the spring and detente for a push pin). It had a standard A2 upper receiver, the elevation wheel for the rear sight has paint markings on it calibrated for the 7.62x39's ballistics, a 16" barrel, no bayo lug, and an A2 type flash suppressor (Obviously on the pre-bans only. I've been told that the flash suppressor is the same type used on the 9mm AR15s. The standard USGI flash suppressor doesn't have a large enough opening to accomodate the 7.62x39).

The only parts unique to the 7.62x39 AR15 are the bolt, extractor, and barrel.

True, SKSs and AKs may indeed have been/are cheaper as simple bullet hoses, but the 7.62x39 AR15 combines close range knock down power with a far higher degree of accuracy. I find it to be quite a fun combination.

Good higher capacity mags are the Achile's heel of this gun, but in my experience it really isn't that of a deal, certainly nothing insurmountable. Post-ban MWG 10 rounders have proven reliable, the pre-ban USA 20 and 30 round mags either work great or can usually easily be tweaked to, and the two Scherer 30 round mags I have work excellently. If you are buying one just to use for hunting, the Colt factory 5 round mags function excellently or you can take just about any USGI mag in decent condition and expect it work reliably with 6 or 7 rounds of 7.62x39.

Here is my Colt R6830. It has become one of my favorite ARs. My collection will never be without one again.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/028/dj/a1/gc/el61704.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top