Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2001 8:18:56 AM EDT
I have always been interested in doing some gunsmithing.  I have done some things on my own, but nothing to major.  I have been thinking about pursuing this more and doing some manufacuring, probably specialize in assault weapons (AR and H&K).

What would I need to get started with?
Would I need to get a Class III or Class II license and what does that detail?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The quickest and surest way to get started is to attend one of the gunsmithing schools.  Although you can do correspondent courses, this is better by far.  The age of the apprentice is over, so having someone pay you while you learn is not an option.

If you expect to make a living at it this is really the only viable method.

Becoming a good machinest is necessary, but machinest school will NOT make you a qualified gunsmith, learning gunsmithing makes a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The C2 or C3 thing is only if you are interested in NFA weapons. Machine guns, short shotguns, short rifles, silencers, and AOWs. Beyond that you could move up to mortars and High Explosive rounds and grenade launchers but that gonna cost you just a bit more.

An FFL-07 is what you want. Will cost you $50/year and your location must be zoned properly.

Add $500/year for SOT todo the Machine guns

Add $3000/year to do the Destructive Device thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top