Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2005 5:06:58 PM EDT
Ok newb here with what is probably a stupid question...I've heard people using the term battle rifle, and was just curious as to what differences there are (if any) between an assault rifle and a battle rifle...thanx  
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Generally .308 & higher calibres are battle rifles. Garands, M1A's, G3's SKS's & AK-47's.

Assault rifles are M-16's, FNC's, 5.56mm & 5.45mm.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Assault rifles use an "intermediate" cartridge, battle rifles use a rifle cartridge and subguns use a pistol cartridge.
rifle cart: 7.62x54mm
int cart: 7.62x39mm
pistol: 9x18mm
Someone will be along with pics shortly.

Caliber has NOTHING to do with it. Notice the pistol caliber is the largest.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Assault rifles use an "intermediate" cartridge, battle rifles use a rifle cartridge and subguns use a pistol cartridge.

Always thought it was funny that Cooper &Co dogged the assault rifles for there "intermediate" cartridges" when technically 7.62x51 is intermediate to 7.62x63.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Always thought it was funny that Cooper &Co dogged the assault rifles for there "intermediate" cartridges" when technically 7.62x51 is intermediate to 7.62x63.

GOOD POINT
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#6]
"battle rifle" is not a official term or classification for anything.

Using the logic some people use, the M1873 Trapdoor in 45-70 is a "battle rifle" compared to an M1 garand.

M1 garands, AR-15s, AK-47, FAL, M14 are all main infantry rifles

Link Posted: 4/26/2005 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ok newb here with what is probably a stupid question...I've heard people using the term battle rifle, and was just curious as to what differences there are (if any) between an assault rifle and a battle rifle...thanx  

My assault rifle, the flaming liberal gun grabbers try to take away.  My battle rifles kill elk, deer, antelope, etc...
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the help guys, I just heard the term used a few times and wasn't sure if it was an actual military designation.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 8:33:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Battle Rifle:

Assault Rifle:

Link Posted: 4/26/2005 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is one definition

Battle Rifle - This term is often used to distinguish a full-sized rifle with a full automatic capability from a carbine or assault rifle.  Though intended to be fired primarily in semiautomatic, most battle rifles have provisions for emergency full automatic fire.  Normally a bipod is not fitted to this type rifle unless it is being employed as an automatic rifle or light machine gun.  Arguably the first such weapon was the FG-42 which was issued to elite German paratroopers in W.W.II.   More common examples include the American M-14, Belgian FN FAL, and German G-3.  

That was about what I thought too (M-14, HK G-3  both in .308)

This is an interesting website with a little history thrown in with the definitions
www.paladinarmory.com/MachineGuns.htm#Battle%20Rifle
(and a BOTD)
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the help guys, I just heard the term used a few times and wasn't sure if it was an actual military designation.

As others have said, its really just a way to differentiate between assault rifles and the older full powered rifles.

Though I will tell people my FN49 in 8mm is a Battle Rifle, because it is the real deal. I will not refer to my semiauto ARs and AKs as Assault rifles. They are semiauto carbines.

Link Posted: 4/26/2005 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#12]
7.62 = battle   556= assault
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#13]
keep in mind that there are two definitions of 'assault rifle:'  The political/media definition and the true definition.  The political/media definition is applied to practically anything they are trying to outlaw at any given time.  The true definition derives from the German word Sturmgewehr -- a select-fire weapon firing an intermediate cartridge.

Link Posted: 4/26/2005 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

7.62 = battle.....Except for 7.62x39, or 7.62x33 (.30carbine)  
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#15]
reminds me of the ak74 i used in nam
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/26/2005 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, I use an AK-74 made in China for the Navy Seals.
I'm not a SEAL though, I'm one of the doorgunner's on the space shuttle
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Isnt an Assault Rifle strictly a select fire weapon? anything else is playing into the gun grabbers hands.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My assault rifle, the flaming liberal gun grabbers try to take away.  My battle rifles kill elk, deer, antelope, etc...

You have a select fire rifle?
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Assault rifles are also SELECT FIRE!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Battle Rifle:

img171.exs.cx/img171/1711/orcrist7ii.jpg

Assault Rifle:

img99.exs.cx/img99/2516/natasha3vo.jpg

Are one of the positions on the selector switch marked "burst" or "auto" on that AK variant?
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Here is one definition

Battle Rifle - This term is often used to distinguish a full-sized rifle with a full automatic capability from a carbine or assault rifle.  Though intended to be fired primarily in semiautomatic, most battle rifles have provisions for emergency full automatic fire.  Normally a bipod is not fitted to this type rifle unless it is being employed as an automatic rifle or light machine gun.  Arguably the first such weapon was the FG-42 which was issued to elite German paratroopers in W.W.II.   More common examples include the American M-14, Belgian FN FAL, and German G-3.  

This is an interesting website with a little history thrown in with the definitions
(and a BOTD)

SO, by that definition, an M1 Garand is not a battle rifle.  Riiiiggghhhhtttttt!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

And that is all there is to it?  No select fire, etc?
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Isnt an Assault Rifle strictly a select fire weapon? anything else is playing into the gun grabbers hands.

You are correct.  I can't believe the number of people on THIS board calling a semiauto rifle an assault rifle because it fires an intermediate cartridge.  Some even call them "assault weapons".  I might expect that at DU, but not here.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn LARRYG...I thought you where going to slap us all over this thread.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#27]
ok yeah wasn't going for the gun-grabber media definition that will probably classify a Red Ryder BB gun as an assault weapon at some point in the future....so would it be fair to say that an Assault Rifle can be defined as a select fire rifle with an intermediate cartridge, while a Battle Rifle would just be any auto loading rifle with a more powerful cartridge? (or would you consider a bolt action Springfield to be a battle rifle?
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#28]
It means nothing except to the people who think there is a difference because they have a chip on their shoulder.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#29]
IMO....The whole "Battle Rifle" thing is a old gun snob term from the Cooper, Taylor crew. They didn't like 5.56mm and started the BattleRifle vs Assault Rifle thing just to show their distain for 5.56mm.  

I think Chairnan Jeff started the "poodleshooter" name about the same time.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It means nothing except to the people who think there is a difference because they have a chip on their shoulder.  

Actually, assault rifle does have a military and technical definition.  Perhaps "battle rifle" is not a defined term, but it does mean something, i.e., the full power rifles firing .308, 30-06, 7.62x54, etc.

An M14, even though select fire, is NOT an assault rifle.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
ok yeah wasn't going for the gun-grabber media definition that will probably classify a Red Ryder BB gun as an assault weapon at some point in the future....so would it be fair to say that an Assault Rifle can be defined as a select fire rifle with an intermediate cartridge, while a Battle Rifle would just be any auto loading rifle with a more powerful cartridge? (or would you consider a bolt action Springfield to be a battle rifle?

Yeah, back in the day, it fits what some define as a "battle rifle".  
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 11:14:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I just think WE on this board, and gun owners in general, have to be very careful with what we call an assault rifle.

The media and the vultures (anti-gun fantatics) mislabel all types of rifles constantly, we should know better.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here is one definition

(and a BOTD)

SO, by that definition, an M1 Garand is not a battle rifle.  Riiiiggghhhhtttttt!!!!!

Actually, I reread it with that very thought in mind,(before your post)
and noticed the "most" which I believe is referring to the Garand, happy?

ETA: So sorry about my "unworthy" website contribution(I should have edited it, heh)
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here is one definition

(and a BOTD)

ETA: So sorry about my "unworthy" website contribution(I should have edited it, heh)

You knave, you.

Actually, I missed the "most" and it was there.  My bad.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 11:58:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here is one definition

(and a BOTD)

You knave, you.
Actually, I missed the "most" and it was there.  My bad.

No prob
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just think WE on this board, and gun owners in general, have to be very careful with what we call an assault rifle.

The media and the vultures (anti-gun fantatics) mislabel all types of rifles constantly, we should know better.

And I agree with you
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, assault rifle does have a military and technical definition.  Perhaps "battle rifle" is not a defined term, but it does mean something, i.e., the full power rifles firing .308, 30-06, 7.62x54, etc.

"Battle rifle" means as much as "Assault weapon".  And to those who coined the phrase, it means "My rifle is better than yours, because yours isn't a BATTLE RIFLE!!"  And the answer to that is "Who the hell cares."
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 12:41:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Battle rifle" means as much as "Assault weapon".  And to those who coined the phrase, it means "My rifle is better than yours, because yours isn't a BATTLE RIFLE!!"  And the answer to that is "Who the hell cares."

Perhaps you take it that way, and you do seem to be taking this whole thread personally, but to most, it is just a quick way to differentiate the assault rifles from the larger caliber semi and full auto rifles.  I have .30-06, .308, and 5.56 rifles and don't think any are better than any of the others.  Each has it's own niche.

If I am out on the prairie, I want a Garand or an AR10, or even an AR50, but if I am in the heavy woods or in an urban setting, give me the the M16 or it's cousins.
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 1:05:36 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps you take it that way, and you do seem to be taking this whole thread personally, but to most, it is just a quick way to differentiate the assault rifles from the larger caliber semi and full auto rifles.  I have .30-06, .308, and 5.56 rifles and don't think any are better than any of the others.  Each has it's own niche.

If I am out on the prairie, I want a Garand, or an AR10, or even an AR50, but if I am in the heavy woods or in an urban setting, give me the the M16 or it's cousins.

Yeah, he does seem just a little bit wound up........
Hey, Get Both !!
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 3:09:05 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I am out on the prairie, I want a Garand, or an AR10, or even an AR50, but if I am in the heavy woods or in an urban setting, give me the the M16 or it's cousins.

Yeah, he does seem just a little bit wound up........
Hey, Get Both !!

Get both?  I already have and then some.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top