Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2001 12:28:43 PM EDT
Hi all,

was looking in to getting a new rifle.  There was a real nice one at a local shop.  i believe that it is a springfield of enfield.  it had a SS barrel, sythetic stock and some other stuff.  He stated that it would should circles around my fn and was accurate our to 800 or so yards.  I think he was blowin smoke.  did i mention that he wanted 1200 for it too.  

Is that a fair price?
Is there a place that has m1 garands that are new with a better cost?
If so, where and how much.

thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#1]
$1200 FOR A GARAND?!?!?!?!

Oh HELL no! Go to [url]www.odcmp.com[/url] They're $400.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Garands are very acurate when worked on. The CMP are good rifles for the price but you have to wait for about a year and if you want it acurate you need to get them worked on. So to me not the best route. Some people it is the best thing since ice creram. I would try orion 7 on LI NY. They have a web site I think it is orion7.org or M1garand.com. Good guy to do business with. He specializes in the garand,carbine,and M14 type rifle. He does very good work. For 1200 you can get a very acurate garand from him. If you want to spend more you can get a match grade rifle. I would like a match grade rifle from him one day. He rebarreled my garand and did a tech inspection when a dealer tried to screw me. But he fixed all the problems and now I have a very good garand. The CMP rifles are now 500. Which is still very good. I just can't wait that long for delivery or do the requirements they want. To me I will just pay the extra cash and get what I want. Thats how I am. Good luck
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#5]
it took three weeks to recieve my springfield from the cmp, i am impressed with its accuracy,and its a fun gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]
ORIGINALY POSTED BY,
lojack22172

FL,  US
23 Posts
Posted - 07/02/2001 :  16:28:43            

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all,

was looking in to getting a new rifle. There was a real nice one at a local shop. i believe that it is a springfield of enfield. it had a SS barrel, sythetic stock and some other stuff. He stated that it would should circles around my fn and was accurate our to 800 or so yards. I think he was blowin smoke. did i mention that he wanted 1200 for it too.

Is that a fair price?
Is there a place that has m1 garands that are new with a better cost?
If so, where and how much.

[blue]Springfield of Enfield????
ROTFLMAO[/blue]
If you want a nice Garand you will need to know a little something about them. The guys are telling you the truth about the CMP guns.
They are a good rifle and fun to shoot,
I collect M1's as a hobby and they can get very expensive if you buy the nicer original stuff.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#7]
$1200 for a tricked out match grade M1 isn't bad. I traded a preban AR15 for my M1. It came from the CMP originally, it's a 1945 Springfield. It's been steel bedded, had a Douglas match barrel, NM sights, all the metal was reparked and the stock was beautifully refinished. It was well worth it to me to trade an AR.

Comparatively speaking the stock CMP guns I have seen are OK but need a LOT of work for competition shooting. Maybe I'm just used to a high dollar garand, though, since they still shoot well and after being rebarreled can shoot match. As far as accuracy goes that is figured out by filling in the following equation:
Shooter + barrel + ammo + weather conditions + shooter = accuracy.

If you look you'll notice shooter is listed twice, and barrel is the next deciding feature. My match garand shoots better than I do at 600 yards prone with open sights. With my semi-crappy shooting and 1967 surplus LC ball ammo I still somehow manage to keep it in the black.

For a simple shooting M1 get a CMP gun, refinish the stock and rebarrel it and you will be very happy.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I think what lojack really means is an M1A by Springfield. I believe he's confusing a Garand with an M1A and in that case, $1200 is about average for a new M1A.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't they have strange requirements to buy one from the CMP?
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#10]
The requirements are pretty simple. Go to:[url]http://www.odcmp.com[/url], and that will answer all your question.
Basically, find a CMP afiliated club, or try your state rifle association. Join and shoot a CMP match, get your proof of shooting the match from the club,send it in and your good to go. If your Military, retired or a LEO the match part is waived. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Let me think:
a. Be a member of a state shooting association (NRA doesn't count). Here in California it was the California Rifle and Pistol Association. (send copy of membership card)

b. Shoot a qualifying match, submit copy of score. I shot a service rifle match, you may use an M1 Garand, a 1903 Springfield, an M1A or a stock AR15 (no removable ghandle).  With other weapons you will shoot with the "space guns".  
If you are ex-military a copy of DD214 will suffice.

c. Send copy of birth certificate or passport.

d. Provide a credit card number

e. Have all the paperwork notified.  Submit.

f. Anxiously wait for the credit card charge.

g. Anxiously wait for the Fed Ex truck

You will get an original M1 Garand. It may have served in Iwo, Bastogne, Inchon landing..

Link Posted: 7/2/2001 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, it's supposed to be pretty easy actually. ACK said it well. Just join, shoot once, send your stuff in and get one.

Only thing is can they ship to you or do they have to ship to an FFL? Or is this one of the "I'm the government do as I say not as I do" exceptions to the rule.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
A year????

Try 60 days max

If it has a SS barrel it has most likely been buit as a match rifle, and the sythetic stock makes it illegal for service rifle matches I believe. So odds are someone built it as an accurate shooter, bot not for CMP competition.
View Quote

Hey thats news to me. If it is 60 days that is great. last time(about 3 years ago I was told 1 year).
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think what lojack really means is an M1A by Springfield. I believe he's confusing a Garand with an M1A and in that case, $1200 is about average for a new M1A.
View Quote

Could be, however he mentions "Garand" in his post and thinks it's a "springfield or enfield". I didn't think enfield (or a knockoff company that stole their name) was in business or making M1A's, so that would lead me to think Garand also. (Not that I know crap about M1A's or Enfields)

Also I forgot to mention to lojack, that if you are wanting to get a "new" M1, you will not be getting what you may think. You would be buying a "new" Springfield. They are just some people who stole the Springfield name (Like Colt stole AR-15 from Armalite) and started a gun business. It is not the same Springfield that made my 1945 manufacture M1 Garand and millions of other government arms.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#15]
ok.  i think that i got my rifles a little confused.  It is the Springfield M1A for $1200.Check it out here http://springfieldarmory.com/prod-rifles-m1a.shtml  

My question is: is it worth the money and what type of range and accuracy should i expect from it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
ok.  i think that i got my rifles a little confused.  It is the Springfield M1A for $1200.Check it out here http://springfieldarmory.com/prod-rifles-m1a.shtml  

My question is: is it worth the money and what type of range and accuracy should i expect from it.

Thanks
View Quote

If new, that is roughly the going rate.

And YES, it WILL outshoot the FN every day of the week. 2" or smaller groups consistently with surplus ammo.

Where you'll get your real accuracy is with match bullets - 1" and under. Something the FN will not do.

But if you REALLY want an accurate gun, get a Springfield double lugged receiver, and build a gun from there. If you ever intend to do any match shooting with the M1A, that is absolutely the way to go.

Go to [url]www.gunsamerica.com [/url] and check prices there on stock M1A's. Look under "springfield Rifles."
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Lojack... go for the CMP M1 (aka Garand).

The SA M1A will shoot roughly the same as the M1...the parts ARE NOT milspec and you will eventually lose interest in it's lack of "depth".

The CMP "garand" is the real deal...I have three, two made during WW2.  They were made by men and women that wanted to make damn sure the guy using it didn't die due to poor workmanship...

There is something magical about firing an M1...it's a piece of the history that kept the free world free, shoots like a dream and it's an ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC DEAL FOR THE $$$$....

are we being to subtle?
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#20]
To answer some of the question asked:

It is new.  I believe that is has a SS barrel.  Sythetic stock.  I didnt have a chance to look down the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
To answer some of the question asked:

It is new.  I believe that is has a SS barrel.  Sythetic stock.  I didnt have a chance to look down the barrel.
View Quote

Must be an M1A.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Just for fun I'll give an answer concerning the M-1. I have a standard M-1 with a like new "VAR"
(Danish) barrel. When I set the sights for combat zero I was putting three rounds through a hole the size of a quarter with room to spare at 25 yards. That was from a sitting position. Maybe not match accuracy but it holds a damn tight group.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top