Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2001 8:01:00 AM EDT
How many of you guys have acctually had LE training. Not many of you I would assume but if your smart the training will make you stop and think.... example  during a traffic stop you dont know if the person is armed and if they are going to fight. you have to react to thier actions. Its funny how many times I've walked up to a car and as soon as I got close Blam! I'm shot my hand barley clears the pistol from the holster when my instructer says your dead. It just shows you how easy it is to get shot by an untrained person..... as for gun fights they are not like the movies....some people on this board need to grow up....and smell the JAVA
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#1]
That training might be part of the problem.  You're conditioned to think that everybody you pull over is trying to kill you.

Us poor stupid ass citizens are wondering why is this cop acting like such an ass.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#2]
We are not acting like asses.....we are simply attempting to perform what can be an extremely dangerous job in a manner that will give us the best chance of walking away without being harmed. Any time we approach a vehicle it is done with extreme caution because we have no way of knowing what weapons the driver may have access to. More importantly, we are not mind readers , and have no way of knowing the drivers state of mind or intentions. It's a job that can get us killed if we are not vigilant in the preservation of our own safety.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 8:42:23 AM EDT
[#3]
They are not acting.

Everybody should be armed and paranoid when they meet someone new.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#4]
We are not asses, we just want to go home at night. A perp has the advantage, they act, we can only react. Acting is much quicker.
Before I was a cop I taught women self-defense. One of my students was the wife of a cop friend. He started the I am bad stuff. I had him put his hand where his gun would be, I was 10 feet away. I told him to shoot when I moved.
She still busts him to this day. You see I kicked his ass.
In the academy, they used training tapes that featured Dan Insanto, who I have had the pleasure to train with several times. He was taking out cops starting 21 feet from them. Using a knife.
It is a cold place out there, and we can't eveny make one mistake
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 9:31:20 AM EDT
[#5]
We are not asses, we just want to go home at night. A perp has the advantage, they act, we can only react. Acting is much quicker.
Before I was a cop I taught women self-defense. One of my students was the wife of a cop friend. He started the I am bad stuff. I had him put his hand where his gun would be, I was 10 feet away. I told him to shoot when I moved.
She still busts him to this day. You see I kicked his ass.
In the academy, they used training tapes that featured Dan Insanto, who I have had the pleasure to train with several times. He was taking out cops starting 21 feet from them. Using a knife.
It is a cold place out there, and we can't eveny make one mistake
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Us "civilians", not "perps" just want to make it home at end of the day too. Used to be a day when cops were heroes and held the safety of the public over the safety of their own ass. Now you are trained that every stop is a potential "perp" that will kill you, which leads to "civlians" getting blasted when going for their wallet or reaching to scratch an itch. The mistakes you make these days usually end up with the shooting of an unarmed "civilian". I know y'all have a tough job but no one forced you to take it. What we need today are more heroes and less badge wearing thugs. You act like you're patrolling the streets of Bosnia or Serbia. This country is not a war zone. If you wanted to go to war you should have joined the USMC like I did, and maybe you can feel what a real fire-fight is, where people are actually shooting at you, and it's not a perceived threat by "perps".

Link Posted: 7/2/2001 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That training might be part of the problem.  You're conditioned to think that everybody you pull over is trying to kill you.

Us poor stupid ass citizens are wondering why is this cop acting like such an ass.
View Quote

It's real simple. Keep your hands in plain view or be treated like a suspect.

I am not a cop (firefighter) but fully understand the mindset. There are a lot of scumbags out there, an LEO can't be too careful!

It is a sad comment on our society when "citizens" have to do this to be treated like human beings, BUT IT'S NOT THE COPS' FAULT.

If your on duty and you let down your guard, you're gonna get bit sooner or later.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Bad LEO story:
You ever get pulled out of the vehicle on a "routine traffic stop".  That's not fun.  Then the cop harasses you because you have a pocket knife with a black blade.  He even tries to tell me it is too big.  I told him to arrest me for it then.  He backed off.

Good LEO story:
Following my sister as she walks the dog.  The cop passes on a crossroad and then doubles back and pulls me over.  Just wonders if I know her, and making sure I am not a stalker/rapist.  Thanked him for caring and doing his job.

Moral: Cops are human, they get good people and bad people on the force just like anywhere else.  If a cop is edgy back off and give him space.  If he is being a jerk, take it up to a point and see if he will arrest you.  Just like the rest of us, they have good days and days when rolling out of bed makes them angry, the only difference is they have to make all kinds of decisions about people and their actions.  This isn't meant to justify some bonehead, watched too many movies, thinks he is Dirty Harry-cop, just to tell people that they need to relax.  If a cop is overzealous, write a letter to the station.
Ice
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Easy there fellas.

I wasn't trying to flame anyone.

Just my way of articulating to get my point accross.  

Cops don't know what awaits them.

Citizen Joe doesn't know what the risks to the officer are or how he's been trained.

I would offer an observation.

The most professional, pleasant, and politest officers in my state are also the highest trained; the State Boys (and Gals).

Link Posted: 7/2/2001 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I do not want to see any LEO get killed. There
are more than a few that I wish were prosecuted
and put in jail.
LEO's are their own worst enemies. They condone
actions and activity of fellow LEO's that would land non LEO's in jail.
One of my Uncle's was the Chief for the Birmingham Alabama Police Department.
Another was a Railroad Detective for FRISCO.
Still another was in the F.B.I..
A cousin was a Police Officer for the City of
Housten.
I was raised to respect LEO's and I do until given reason not to.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the support, if I was pulled over I would turn the inside light on, so the LEO can see. Put my wallet and papers on the dash. My hands on the top of the wheel,
Also don't have your papers stuffed in the glove box. As an LEO sees movement, bells go off. Biggest think, don't speed or drive like an asshole.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

One of my Uncle's was the Chief for the Birmingham Alabama Police Department.
View Quote

Johnny Johnson?
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bobby Vincent:
Us "civilians", not "perps" just want to make it home at end of the day too. Used to be a day when cops were heroes and held the safety of the public over the safety of their own ass. Now you are trained that every stop is a potential "perp" that will kill you, which leads to "civlians" getting blasted when going for their wallet or reaching to scratch an itch. The mistakes you make these days usually end up with the shooting of an unarmed "civilian". I know y'all have a tough job but no one forced you to take it. What we need today are more heroes and less badge wearing thugs. You act like you're patrolling the streets of Bosnia or Serbia. This country is not a war zone. If you wanted to go to war you should have joined the USMC like I did, and maybe you can feel what a real fire-fight is, where people are actually shooting at you, and it's not a perceived threat by "perps".

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Easy there fellas.

I wasn't trying to flame anyone.

Just my way of articulating to get my point accross.  

Cops don't know what awaits them.

Citizen Joe doesn't know what the risks to the officer are or how he's been trained.

I would offer an observation.

The most professional, pleasant, and politest officers in my state are also the highest trained; the State Boys (and Gals).

View Quote

I agree,

The MSP are very professional and do their jobs without making you feel like a criminal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top