Psalm 144:1
Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.

Link Posted: 4/14/2005 4:16:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 4:17:15 AM EDT
[#2]
"Jesus wept."  Sorry, don't have time to look up chapter and verse....but it is in one of the four Gospels.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 4:26:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

I may not understand what's going on, and I may not like what is happening to me, but I KNOW I can trust Him through it all.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 4:29:09 AM EDT
[#4]
If you receive a prophet in the name of a prophet, you will receive a prophet's reward...
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 4:32:27 AM EDT
[#5]
anything more combat or survival related?
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 4:41:40 AM EDT
[#6]
anybody?
Luke 22:36
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

Deuteronomy 32:41
"When I shall whet my flashing sword, and my hand take hold in judgment; I will render vengeance to my enemies, and will reward those that hate me."

Genesis 27:40
You will live by the sword
and you will serve your brother.
But when you grow restless,
you will throw his yoke
from off your neck."
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 6:23:25 AM EDT
[#7]
2KI 6:15 When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. "Oh, my lord, what shall we do?" the servant asked.
2KI 6:16 "Don't be afraid," the prophet answered. "Those who are with us are more than those who are with them."
2KI 6:17 And Elisha prayed, "O LORD, open his eyes so he may see." Then the LORD opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.

ISA 54:17 no weapon forged against you will prevail,
   and you will refute every tongue that accuses you.
 This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD,
   and this is their vindication from me,"
     declares the LORD.

JER 51:20 "You are my war club,
   my weapon for battle--
 with you I shatter nations,
   with you I destroy kingdoms,

1JN 4:4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

MT 10:34 "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn
 " `a man against his father,
   a daughter against her mother,
 a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law--
MT 10:36 a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.'

EPH 6:10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.
11 Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.
12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.
14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place,
15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.
16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

Link Posted: 4/15/2005 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Genesis 19, Lot and His Daughters

30 Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave.

31 One day the older daughter said to the younger, "Our father is old, and there is no man around here to lie with us, as is the custom all over the earth.

32 Let's get our father to drink wine and then lie with him and preserve our family line through our father."

33 That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and lay with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

34 The next day the older daughter said to the younger, "Last night I lay with my father. Let's get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and lie with him so we can preserve our family line through our father."

35 So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went and lay with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

36 So both of Lot's daughters became pregnant by their father.

37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab [n] ; he is the father of the Moabites of today.

38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi [o] ; he is the father of the Ammonites of today.

Funny how this one never gets talked about...
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By ZULU NINER:

30 Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave.

31 One day the older daughter said to the younger, "Our father is old, and there is no man around here to lie with us, as is the custom all over the earth.

32 Let's get our father to drink wine and then lie with him and preserve our family line through our father."

33 That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and lay with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

34 The next day the older daughter said to the younger, "Last night I lay with my father. Let's get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and lie with him so we can preserve our family line through our father."

35 So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went and lay with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab [n] ; he is the father of the Moabites of today.

38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi [o] ; he is the father of the Ammonites of today.

Well, outside your household, "Don't get Daddy drunk and fuck him, girls!" is the kind of thing that only needs to be said once.
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well, outside your household, "Don't get Daddy drunk and fuck him, girls!" is the kind of thing that only needs to be said once.

I have no kids, try again with the personal insults...
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Nice dodge. I was including your aunts.
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice comeback, and ouch .  But I guess Aunt is better than mother.  

Still, not nice to insult "innocent" people.  You don't go around stoning the children of murderers and rapists do you?
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 12:00:17 AM EDT
[#13]
tagged
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 12:09:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still, not nice to insult "innocent" people.  You don't go around stoning the children of murderers and rapists do you?

No, it wasn't nice. I assumed that your post was an intellectual gambit, and my response wasn't meant personally. I hope you'll forgive me if it seemed personal.

My point was this: the behavior of Lot and his daughters was obviously not an example for anybody to follow. Lot was in an unseemly hurry to get drunk if his dear wife and all his friends had just been wiped out; his daughters were terribly eager to have sex and/or get pregnant if the extinction of mankind was their real concern. I think the three of them were really --- how to put it --- simply using a handy disaster as a theoretical excuse for satisfying a pre-existing unworthy desire. Lot apparently liked getting drunk; so there he is. "Woe is me. My friends are dead. My wife's a pile of salt. I'll get drunk." He didn't wait a day or two, see what was over the next hill, pray about it, nothing. He got drunk, 'cause it suited him. His daughters obviously craved "male attention" and/or pregnancy. They didn't wait to see what might come to pass, or what God planned for them. They simply decided "Look, he's old, he's our dad, but he seems to be hitting on all 8 cylinders, so pour him some wine and let's get it done."

From our perspective, (knowing the whole story) the response is "Ick." I think the lesson is that we (if we are people of God) are obliged to wait and watch to see what God has prepared for us in the midst of what our dim eyes see as disaster. Lot could have had a new, lawful wife had he waited; his daughters could have had lawful husbands and proper children had they been calm and patient in faith.

I think the story of Lot and his daughters is one of faithless impatience. I know I have dealt with you rudely and disrespectfully. I hope that forgiveness is to be had all a round.
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 4:37:59 AM EDT
[#15]
A reading from the Book of Armaments, Chapter 4, Verses 16 to 20:

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals ... Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

-- Monty Python, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"

Link Posted: 4/16/2005 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it wasn't nice. I assumed that your post was an intellectual gambit, and my response wasn't meant personally. I hope you'll forgive me if it seemed personal.

My point was this: the behavior of Lot and his daughters was obviously not an example for anybody to follow. Lot was in an unseemly hurry to get drunk if his dear wife and all his friends had just been wiped out; his daughters were terribly eager to have sex and/or get pregnant if the extinction of mankind was their real concern. I think the three of them were really --- how to put it --- simply using a handy disaster as a theoretical excuse for satisfying a pre-existing unworthy desire. Lot apparently liked getting drunk; so there he is. "Woe is me. My friends are dead. My wife's a pile of salt. I'll get drunk." He didn't wait a day or two, see what was over the next hill, pray about it, nothing. He got drunk, 'cause it suited him. His daughters obviously craved "male attention" and/or pregnancy. They didn't wait to see what might come to pass, or what God planned for them. They simply decided "Look, he's old, he's our dad, but he seems to be hitting on all 8 cylinders, so pour him some wine and let's get it done."

From our perspective, (knowing the whole story) the response is "Ick." I think the lesson is that we (if we are people of God) are obliged to wait and watch to see what God has prepared for us in the midst of what our dim eyes see as disaster. Lot could have had a new, lawful wife had he waited; his daughters could have had lawful husbands and proper children had they been calm and patient in faith.

I think the story of Lot and his daughters is one of faithless impatience. I know I have dealt with you rudely and disrespectfully. I hope that forgiveness is to be had all a round.

No offense taken, I actually thought your comments were funny.  I'm an atheist and none of it really matters to me, other than I find the whole concept of deity worship pointless.

Best wishes...
Link Posted: 4/18/2005 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I fond my fav verse... I was mis-recalling it, but I still like it best :)

Isaiah, chapter 11:9 - They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.

Sorry - just ran across it today.  For some reason, I was thiking it had something to do w/ the BEAUTY not the KNOWLEDGE I must be "mixing verses" again
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#18]

The fact that this happend and was recorded in the Bible does not make it right, neither does prostitution, or stealing, two other things that are sourced.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Job 42:2-6
2"I know that You can do everything,
      And that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You.
      3You asked, "Who is this who hides counsel without knowledge?'
      Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
      Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
      4Listen, please, and let me speak;
      You said, "I will question you, and you shall answer Me.'
      5"I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear,
      But now my eye sees You.
      6Therefore I abhor myself,
      And repent in dust and ashes."

Sovereign and Holy God unlike the one preached today.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Colossians 3:8  
"But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. "
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Colossians 1:9-14

For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light. For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Sure it does. You just have to go to church to hear it. Whats your point? Or are you the atheist version of a bible thumber. You know, jump in a conversation that did not pertain to you and interject your unwanted information. No different than the pushy bible thumpers you probably hate.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Check this thread out: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=340622

And, you will notice that my thread was a lot nicer because I "un-invited" Christian-haters.

There must be a lesson here somewhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top