Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2001 1:09:27 AM EDT
I was just wondering why we hate NATO? I have no idea could somwone tell me?
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 1:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
LMAO, i didnt know we hate NATO now.  Whats the conspiracy theory on this one? The UN thing is getting old anyways. This should be interesting.

Link Posted: 7/1/2001 1:25:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Why do we need NATO anymore now that the USSR is gone?

Anyway, I always thought it was a defensive alliance.  Tell that to the Serbs.  I think NATO should be disbanded, and the Europeans can handle their own defense.  They want it that way anyhow.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 7:19:55 AM EDT
[#4]
CONFERENCE ON SMALL ARMS another reason to hate NATO
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 7:25:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Because some people always need something to be afraid and paranoid about.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#6]
We should have disdain for any organization that allows Frogs, Limeys, Krauts, and Greasers to get our guys killed. Like a "multi-national" force could exist without Uncle Sam.They want us to intervene , but don't want to commit any of their troops. Maybe we should bash Europe some more.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#8]
NATO would be fine if they would kick out FRANCE.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#9]
France withdrew from NATO in the 1960s.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
France withdrew from NATO in the 1960s.  
View Quote

I think he meant they should kick France out of Europe, not NATO
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know anybody that "hates" NATO. But I personally think expanding NATO aggressively right up to the steps of the Kremlin is a bad idea. We need to recognize the painful and humiliating situation that Russia now finds itself in. Our needlessly rubbing their noses in our Cold War victory, or making the appearance of threatening their national security in any way, only increases the probability that another Cold War will begin.

Remember, it was largely the humiliating terms of the WW1 Armistice that created the conditions where Hitler could rise into power and made WW2 almost inevitable.

We might also do well to remember George Washington's warning to avoid "entangling alliances."

I think NATO should continue to exist, but on a scaled-back level appropriate to the current lack of a credible threat in the area. And I think the U.S. role in it should be minimized -- let the Europeans take responsibility for their own security.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Why isn't NATO bombing Moscow like they were bombing Belgrade?
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 4:58:45 AM EDT
[#13]
We don't hate NATO.  We need NATO....Why?...
Because NATO needs us.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#14]
NATO is a valuable jobs program for the diplomatic and military bureaucrats it employs.  At least pretending to defend Europe is keeping them off the streets. [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top