Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2001 9:55:30 PM EDT
I was watching a tape from a event at my highschool and caught a glimps of the sro (will work for doughnuts), and some of the things that he was carrying caught my attention. first he was wearing bdu pants, combat boots class II body armor a glock 17, (with 3 hi cap mags) 2 tactical folders, a police baton, mace, and a ka-bar knife. bare in mind that this was a special day at the end of the year that was optional attendance, and was called fun day. the had a dj and some games. this was all in the closed off area of the football stadium. is it just me or is he just a little paranoid. and we don't have a violence problem at our shcool
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#1]
its just you.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
a glock 17, (with 3 hi cap mags) 2 tactical folders, a police baton, mace, and a ka-bar knife.... is it just me or is he just a little paranoid. and we don't have a violence problem at our shcool
View Quote

It's you.  If [b]every[/b] school had a guy like this at schools 24/5 there would [b]never[/b] be [b]any[/b] viloence at [b]any[/b] school...Period!!

sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]
No, did you forget the N. Hollywood shootout or the Columbine shooting?

FYI the SRO exchanged gunfire with thee BG's at Columbine before they did most of the killing, but he ran out of ammo and they got into the school.....

Maybe the boy scout motto "be prepared" should be heeded by LEO's
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:42:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think he was just pointing out how the police officer looked more like he belonged in the Army Rangers instead a local police department.
View Quote

1 gun, 3 mags, and a knife makes him a Ranger?? Yeah 2 Bn 75 th Ranger, couch dettachment out of Fort Sealy-Posturpedic.

Whether ah1z was pointing out the our police are becoming more militarized or not, I think this leans towards supporting that belief.

If our police become more and more militarized, wouldn't that make them a "standing army" mentioned in the 3rd Amendment?
View Quote

[red]Amendment III

No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law[/red]

What are you talking about? Ther is the 3rd Amendment. If they are staying at your house the probably ain't cops.

Finally, SGB, why you always gotta be startin trouble man! [bounce][moon][spank][:D]
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:33:02 PM EDT
[#10]
sounds like wwe got a SRO ninja
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#11]

this was a special day at the end of the year that was optional attendance, and was called fun day...
View Quote

Well, this was the SRO's idea of having fun.  

Who said it was smart?  Loaded down like this, nobody else has to bring their own weapons.

If I were him, I'd trade one of those knives for some cuffs, though.  

[red][size=4] P.R.K.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 5:13:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll be working an SRO position in an area that if you didn't wear BDU's, you'd be buying a new pair of uniform pants every week: Very rural, and lot's of things to snag your pants in the outside world.

And, if my department would let me wear it, I'd get one of those holster systems that Blackhawk sells so that a person can carry his CAR15 under his arm pit, like a shoulder holster.

No one is gonna mess with my schools, and live to talk. [:(!]

And as far a "working for donuts; get with the times.

It's now the 21st century: We work for bagels and cappuccino. [:)]

Jay
Arizona
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 6:07:50 AM EDT
[#13]
BDU's look cool plus they are pretty handy.  I know they last alot longer than the crappy uniform pants we get.  I saw an HPD officer tonight down at the jail with his uniform pants tucked in his boots trying to make them look like BDU's.  It was quite funny...looked like crap.  I don't think that BDU's and combat boots quite make an LEO paramilitary.  We've got numerous deputies that wear combat boots and most are ex military.  Now for the armored vehicles...must be nice to have.  Hell, I'd be happy just to get some K-9's that we can use.  Damn, it sucks working for an elected official.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Damn, it sucks working for an elected official.
View Quote

WTF?  What do you mean?  It sucks working in a department where the top management is accountable to the public that it serves?  I have read a lot of your posts and had respected you as being above this type of comment. I hope this is a slip up on your part.

Aggie1
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn, it sucks working for an elected official.
View Quote

WTF?  What do you mean?  It sucks working in a department where the top management is accountable to the public that it serves?  I have read a lot of your posts and had respected you as being above this type of comment. I hope this is a slip up on your part.

Aggie1
View Quote

Aggie, I'm sure what he meant was that to be accountable to the people is not a problem, but to be accountable to a POLITICIAN is another story.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Having worked for a sheriff's office in the past, I can wholeheartedly concur with the sentiment that it sucks working for an elected official!  And it doesn't have a damn thing to do with being accountable to the public we serve- sheriff's offices are no more accoutable than municipal departments, and in many cases less so.  It has to do with the good old boy network that exists in many S.O.'s.  Politics plays a large part in the operation of most sheriff's offices, and for the most part politics inhibits the road deputy's ability to deliver services to the public.  Deputies get told who they can and cannot arrest based on political considerations.  Investigations get dumped because the subject is a prominent person.  And when election time rolls around, look out!!!!!  You are expected to take sides, and God help you if you are on the losing one!  When I was a pup and not yet off probation I was 'asked' if I wanted to go hand out flyers to help get the Sheriff re-elected on my own time.  I said yes because at the time I genuinely liked the guy.  Three of the people that got hired with me declined.  One of them actually still has a job in law enforcement, although not with that agency.  I left some time later after I saw all the crap that went on.  I now work for a city department that is actually much more responsive to its citizens than the S.O. ever thought about being.  Political chicanery, that's the name of the game at many an S.O.  Wouldn't work for another one on a dare.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, lets compare.  My uniform items consists of:
body armor
Beretta 92 with 2 extra mags. (17rd extended)
S&W 3914 in a shoulder holster with 2 mags under the shirt over the armor.
full belt rig
3 handcuffs, four flexicuffs
pepper spray
31" ASP
stinger flashlight
Motorola radio with lapel mike
cell phone
pager
key ring with a whole potload of keys
3 extra handcuff keys  (onion field insurance)
combat boots (shoes don't last, and won't let you wade through the nasty stuff)
BDU pants  (evil black ones)
2 knives. a serrated spyderco, and a seatbelt knife/window punch
id wallet
cheap Wal Mart watch, (because it's gonna get broken)
all of the above has seen use at one time or another.
that's about it, since I ride a bike I have to go kinda light. Then again,  maybe I should list what's in the saddlebags....
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If our police become more and more militarized, wouldn't that make them a "standing army" mentioned in the 3rd Amendment?

[bounce][moon][spank][:D]
View Quote

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I fell if very one of these SROs carried an M4 there would be no school violence. I applaud the guy for being prepared. Every police vehicle should contain two officers. One should be trained in marksmanship. The driver should be armed with an M4 or AR-15. The passanger should carry a service pistol. That way if they sense a problem, the driver can have the AR ready just in case. Then, the passanger can approach the driver. If he tries anything funny, he will get shot. Also, the driver wont have to walk up to the car, making it easier to get a head start in a chase. Similar goes for SROs. Give each of them an M4 or CAR-15 with 2 - 40 Round clips in jungle config. and extra clips on hand. In addition, a good service pistol such as a Beretta w. extra 17 Round Mags. The BDU is a good idea. Also, it scares the criminals. Combat boots could definitely help. If they can, they should all wear good body armor (Class II, No.) Make it Class IIIA or above, so it can stop a round from an AK or AR. Deck 'em all out like military and the crime rate will fall. I would also suggest letting the administrators carry M4s or CAR-15s and let the teachers pack concealed handguns. That way if some punks trying shooting a classroom, the teacher can return fire. The administrators can be called if they are out gunned, sort of like fire-support. Every district in a bad area (L.A., New York) SHould have its own Hueys to land and schools should be designed with a courtyard for landing. They can sweep in and Air-Lift students out. Of course, the main rooms (Library, Cafeteria, etc.) would have to exit to the courtyard. This would allow easy entry to counter these punks. Bring a Huey into the courtyard (LZ) with armed SWAT on board. The SWAT can dismount and fire cover for students. Then, they can evac them via chooper. No punk would shoot up a school if he was aginst those odds.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#20]
#1. I do not have x-ray vision, he had his shirt partially unbuttoned so as to expose his armor. personally I have no problem with the body armor I would wear it to the mall and the grocery store if I could afford it but thats just me.

#2. I understand a glock, and maybe a extra clip but like I said it is not a extreme school, I know most of the people in the school, because it is a very small town, and I really don't think we are gonna be the next columbine, the country folk that attend school here don't even know how to organize their locker let alone a rogue attack on the anything. they wouldn't know what a fire and movement maneuver was if it kicked them in the ass.

#3. I can understand the mace aswell, their are several reason to mace someone as adverse to shooting them dead.

#4 he wears regular pants that look like they are off a pair of class a's the rest of the year, but for some reason this particular day he dicides to wear urban black camos, my guess it that he was trying make a visual presence. as to why he would ever need combat boots at a school is beyond me.

#5 why in the world would he have anything more that a small pocket knife. let alone 3 knives one of which was a fixed bladed marine combat knife. let me guess after he uses all his ammo and expends all his mace he is gonna dispatch one bad guy by throwing the ka-bar into his chest start, swing his baton till it breaks and take 1 tac folder in each hand and go kung fu and kill the rest, yeah right.

I think that clears up most of my end now how about some of you guys.

#1 don't know what exactly happened at columbine but my guess is that if he were a better shot (which he should because he had training, they haven't) than he shouldn't need more ammo.

#2 If you build it they will come, if you try to act like a bad ass, people just see it as an open invitation for trouble

#3 I think that cops should have m4's, but I think that civilians should have access to them aswell ( bad guy will get them anyway). and not in a perfectly quiet school. their is a fine line between law enforcement and bullies with highpowered rifles.

#4 this is a school not the mean streets, nor is it the mekong river delta, not even dessert storm, just a school.

#5 kids at this school already have a semi dim view of cops and this won't help. this cop is nothing more than an over zealouse, wouldn't let me into the army, mall ninja, renta cop, power hungry, rambo wanna be.

#6 when there is a fight (rare but does happen) he is no where to be found.

#7 as for cc48510 what in the hell is going on in you mind. this is america (you know the home of the free and all that) not comunist china. I'm sure that the tax payer which the cops are there to protect consequently would love paying for your little plan. personally I think that he is over compensating for somthing very small if you get my drift

ps while waiting for their air support in the courtyard the kids would be gunned down like fish in a barrel out in the open court yard. do you have a thought..... like ....ever.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 1:05:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Aggie1:  What I meant when I made that comment was simply saying that my agency(which is a very good agency don't get me wrong) but I do feel that we don't have some of the resources that would be very helpful to us on patrol.  The reason we don't have those things are, what the brass considers, to be a liability.  Even though I work for the county I patrol inside the city limits of Houston and we do have available to us at times HPD's fox(their name for the helicopters) and also their K-9's.  It would be nice to have our own K-9's instead of having to wait on HPD's resources when they are available.  It would be nice to be able to carry slugs in our shotguns.  I would like to think that safety would be of more concern than liability.  We are already liable for where our rounds go.  My comments had nothing to do with accountability.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Giving the police extra firepower does not a police state make. As long as the citizens are armed, we won't have a police state. I see no reason not to give the police better weapons. The local police in most cases are not going to become bullies. I have met a number of local police, deputy sherrifs, and state police and they are generally good people. The problem/stigma is the Federal Government and their Rambo tactics. The feds already have everything I mentioned. If anybody is going to initiate a police state I would expect it to be the ATF or FBI, not my Local P.D. or Deputy Sherrif. Hell, the Sherrif already has Choppers, they used to fly over with their floodlights whenever my neighbor's boyfriend got out of jail. You would think that after a while he would have figured out not to head for his girlfriend's house when he's running from the Police. As long as the people are armed they will resist. The problems show up when we are disarmed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd rather have the officer at my school carry all that.  

At my school I once saw the officer show up with:

[list]
[*] pistol
[*] 2 handcuffs
[/list]

[b]He had NO spare magazines[/b]

I was stunned that he was so ill-prepared should a "situation" arise.  
[bounce]    [heavy]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#24]
ah1z

Easy on the LEO's eh?  The man is just trying to do his job well.  Have you looked at things from his perspective?  Surrounded all day long by all those annoying perps, you would want to be that well armed too.  Maybe this individual will expend enough rounds to actually hit a potential Edu-terrorist, before heading out and "securing the perimeter", like Officer Friendly did in Co.  All he wants to do is make it home safely at the end of his shift.

And your jab at the police for their "so-called" propensity for doughnuts is full of rubbish.  As a purveyor of the finest deep fried and baked pastries I can assure you that the average cop will just as likely choose a Bran Muffin as they would a Raspberry Danish to go with their Double Mocha Latte'.

CC48510,

Are you musclin' in on my turf??? [;D] I have long been a proponent of equipping Police Helicopters with both Rockets and Napalm.  If the Columbine cops would have used stuff like that there would have been zero thoughts on a copycat crime.  I am glad I am not the only one here that is pro LEO.
rDAm
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#25]
personally I am one year away from my helicopter pilots license and have had quite a number of hours in them and trust me they are fun, when I join the army, what I would like to do is fly special operations aviation. flying is the only thing that I love more than my ar15. personally I am also a huge proponnent of armed police choppers. personally I think that they should have eye sighted 20mm vulcan cannons. if this doesn't stop em nuttin will. I also think that they should have paint sprayers which could be used to end a chase if used at the right moment. if a car were to come up to a corner at high speed and was sprayed by paint blocking out the windows, they would have to either slow down, stop stick their head out the window or wreck. if they stick their head out the window that just spray their face.

I have know other cops that I liked but this cop is a overweight, ambulance chaser. I don't just say that because of this incident but several other incidents as well. I like most cops but this guy is just a pd reject.

ps thinking that all the students there are perps is the first mistake, and one reason why cops have a bad rap.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If [b]every[/b] school had a guy like this at schools 24/5 there would [b]never[/b] be [b]any[/b] viloence at [b]any[/b] school...Period!!

sgtar15
View Quote

Yes, very true. But better yet if every adult at school wasn't denied their right of self defense there wouldn't be any violence at any school either!
And, as a bonus, you wouldn't have to waste our tax dollars paying someone who is otherwise totally useless!

Concealed carry for all!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top