Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2001 3:25:10 PM EDT
I saw an ad for brand new IMI semi-auto receivers for uzi's. What are you're thoughts about buying a parts kit and assembling???

recv: $295.00
kit: 259.00

probably what? $200.00 for someone to refinsh

Is this worthwhile? What about the folding stock? Can you have the folder on a postban?

Do you have to deal with the same B.S. regarding postban as a AR or FAL?
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, aside from knowing a bit about gunsmithing, grinding, fitting, and perhaps welding...

The parts kits are full auto.  You'd need to ditch some parts and dig up semiauto parts.  (That'd raise the price; my guess around $250.00.)

The folding stock would have to be welded into the open position.

Believe it or not, UZI's have a bayonet lug!  You'd need to grind that off, too.

You'd have to purchase a Bushmaster 16" barrel to stay legal.  $60 or so.)

So, we've got the following

$295.00  receiver
$ 15.00  shipping of above (don't forget shipping!)
$259.00  parts kit
$ 15.00  shipping of above
$200.00  refinishing (per your estimate)
$ 25.00  shipping gun to and from refinisher
$250.00  semiauto parts
$ 15.00  shipping of above
$ 60.00  Bushmaster barrel
$ 10.00  shipping of above
$ 20.00  instructions to build/blueprints/etc.
$  5.00  shipping of above
-------

$1,169.00  subtotal

-  $10.00  shipping fudging
-  $50.00  general fudging
- $150.00  sale of full auto parts
---------

$959.00  GRAND TOTAL

Now, this may or may not be way off.  But, if the amounts above look/seem reasonable, building a postban UZI isn't gonna be price competitive with buying an IMI preban one.

[i]BUT...[/i]

This is one hell of a cool project.  If you [b]do[/b] decide to build one, I wish you the best of luck and hope you send pics of your new firearm up for all to see.

Other board members?  Comments, criticisms?  Am I way off/on target?

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top