Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2001 7:06:49 AM EDT
Criminals could sue their victims!?!?!?!?

Is this headed our way in the future?

So if I break into your home and steal your stuff you cannot harm me as long as I am leaving (even if you catch me in the act) and if you do "protect" yourself I may be able to sue you!

This is STUPID!!!  Break into my house, you will not have the chance to sue me!

I'm glad I don't live over there.
------------------------------------------

CRIMINALS could find it easier to sue members of the public who injure them while defending their homes, under Law Commission reforms proposed yesterday.
The moves could have a significant impact on cases such as that of Tony Martin, the Norfolk farmer who shot dead Fred Barras, a 16-year-old burglar, in his farmhouse two years ago.

Mr Barras’s family have applied for compensation from the Government’s Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority but would be unlikely to win a civil claim.

Yesterday’s consultation paper from the Government’s law reform body argues that the law is unclear on what is called the “illegality defence”. That defence is used by people who face claims from someone involved in illegal activity.

A householder defending his property might face a claim from a burglar he injures and use the defence that the burglar was acting illegally to resist the claim.

But the commission says the defence is “insufficiently flexible” and there is sometimes no clear rationale as to why claims are allowed or rejected. “We don’t think it’s right for the courts to be using this as a way of punishing someone a second time,” Professor Hugh Beale, a Law Commissioner, said.

“To reject someone’s claim for compensation when they have been injured is a serious matter and should not be considered lightly.”

The proposed reforms could also affect claims against the police and other bodies such as local councils.

The recommendations are open for consultation until the autumn when a final report is made to Parliament.

Link Posted: 6/29/2001 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Here in SC we have an "open season" law on any home invaders.

Suffice it to say, if I am capable, should someone break into my house, they are getting all 10 rounds of 180 gr. .40 S&W.

AT least there will be one less person to sue me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#2]
If someone breaks into your house you kill them while they're in your house and if they go out the window throw em back in.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#3]
In spite of the obvious prejudice of my heritage, you all really have to admit that there is nothing British in which any sane, free, person would be interested.  The whole island is seething with mindless, inbred twits and there's not a real human left there any more.
They should be fenced off and declared a floating looney bin.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 7:22:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Ilove Nevada.  In defence of your self, your loved ones, and your property.  If your not outta my door you gonna have some holes in you.
[sniper]

They cant sue you if you shoot them dead!
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#5]
If I understand correctly, this is speaking of England, not the US.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Rikwriter's on the money.  This is over in England.

Big surprise, huh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top