Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/25/2005 10:23:55 PM EDT
Any of you guys ever worked for a devil woman?

She's been my boss for about a month now, and it has been difficult to figure this gal out.  At first, I assumed we weren't clicking because she's trying to uphold the "Almighty Presence" of the boss figure, but I'm beginning to wonder, considering I tend to get along with nearly everyone.

So this week, I was out for the better part of 6 days with strep throat (even with a doctor excuse).  Hovering between 101 and 103 fever, including the day I came in Tuesday.  On my final day out sick, i get a call from her asking me to "do her a favor" and call HR to do paperwork for an extended sick leave filing...or some crap like that.   After I called, I found out she was referring me to file the FMLA, which is the Family and Medical Leave Act.  They told me this act was to SAVE MY JOB.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?  I've been with the company for 5 years, and have never been asked to do that (including the time i was out of work because of a back injury).  I have 10 days of sick leave per year allocated to me.  How does this fall out of that category?  

Thoughts?  Guidance?  

Link Posted: 3/25/2005 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#1]
weird.  I'd check to see if the company is able to collect some sort of insurance for your extended leave if the correct papers are filed.  Patty
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, you are Handsome Rob.  Charm the pants off of her.
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Handsome_Rob it's obvious she wants you!!! Fuck Her!!! and do it well
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Any of you guys ever worked for a devil woman?

She's been my boss for about a month now, and it has been difficult to figure this gal out.  At first, I assumed we weren't clicking because she's trying to uphold the "Almighty Presence" of the boss figure, but I'm beginning to wonder, considering I tend to get along with nearly everyone.

So this week, I was out for the better part of 6 days with strep throat (even with a doctor excuse).  Hovering between 101 and 103 fever, including the day I came in Tuesday.  On my final day out sick, i get a call from her asking me to "do her a favor" and call HR to do paperwork for an extended sick leave filing...or some crap like that.   After I called, I found out she was referring me to file the FMLA, which is the Family and Medical Leave Act.  They told me this act was to SAVE MY JOB.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?  I've been with the company for 5 years, and have never been asked to do that (including the time i was out of work because of a back injury).  I have 10 days of sick leave per year allocated to me.  How does this fall out of that category?  

Thoughts?  Guidance?  

If you want the truth --- you may wish to find another job.  This person is an insecure control freak who does not like you, and will make your time there miserable.
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 10:30:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

hahah.  The name is from the Italian Job.  He's a cool character.
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hahah.  The name is from the Italian Job.  He's a cool character.

Yeah, Statham has some cool roles.  I like Turkish better though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Come on guys, i just got engaged.  I even told yall about it.  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=331202

What to do, what to do.  I'm in a tough spot here.
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#9]
File the paperwork and then request a meeting with her.  Make sure you have someone in the meeting so it's not just you and her - say someone to take notes, or her supervisor.  Apologize for being ill.  Ask her if there is any work that you need to do to make up for your absence.  Then ask her if she has any hesitations about your ability on the job.  Be direct, professional, do not attack but do not leave any grey area.  

Patty
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#10]
With the Family and Medical Leave Act. She or the company can not fire you for 6 month, Fed-law.
They do not get any money or insurance for you signing up for this.
With a doctor excuse, they can not do any thing too you, and under the Family and Medical Leave Act, you would have a case to sue.
Now did she do this?
Or was it HR?
What they asked you to do would save your job!

Maybe the others are right!!!

She wants YOU
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
File the paperwork and then request a meeting with her.  Make sure you have someone in the meeting so it's not just you and her - say someone to take notes, or her supervisor.  Apologize for being ill.  Ask her if there is any work that you need to do to make up for your absence.  Then ask her if she has any hesitations about your ability on the job.  Be direct, professional, do not attack but do not leave any grey area.  

Patty

Good advice.

I fear of stepping on the toes that are attached to the ass I may have to kiss later.
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Good advice.

I fear of stepping on the toes that are attached to the ass I may have to kiss later.

Wise and handsome!
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#13]
ive worked with bitchy women before, and some really cool women too.

the ones that were bitchy were pissed off that they didnt get the promotion they wanted and laid their anger on the rest of the employees OR, she is just a woman trying to be a hard ass thinking that people will respect her, and not think they can run her over because she is a woman. they tend to think that asshole men get respect, so she needs to be a bitch to get respect. shes new so she wants to come in and take control and not look like a push over. ive seen male bosses do the same thing.

once she gets settled in and starts to get to know people, she MIGHT relax a bit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
With the Family and Medical Leave Act. She or the company can not fire you for 6 month, Fed-law.
They do not get any money or insurance for you signing up for this.
With a doctor excuse, they can not do any thing too you, and under the Family and Medical Leave Act, you would have a case to sue.
Now did she do this?
Or was it HR?
What they asked you to do would save your job!

Maybe the others are right!!!

She wants YOU

My gut says she went to her peers for advice about handling my unusual sick leave.
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
ive worked with bitchy women before, and some really cool women too.

the ones that were bitchy were pissed off that they didnt get the promotion they wanted and laid their anger on the rest of the employees OR, she is just a woman trying to be a hard ass thinking that people will respect her, and not think they can run her over because she is a woman. they tend to think that asshole men get respect, so she needs to be a bitch to get respect. shes new so she wants to come in and take control and not look like a push over. ive seen male bosses do the same thing.

once she gets settled in and starts to get to know people, she MIGHT relax a bit.

I sure hope it's sooner than later.
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 11:08:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come on guys, i just got engaged.  I even told yall about it.  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=331202

SO? Ring dont plug no holes.

SERIOUSLY: Play the corporate game. Dot your "I's" and cross your "T's"... sorry bubba, I dont have any more useful infor than that.

Have I told you I HATE corporate America?
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SO? Ring dont plug no holes.

SERIOUSLY: Play the corporate game. Dot your "I's" and cross your "T's"... sorry bubba, I dont have any more useful infor than that.

Have I told you I HATE corporate America?

Rings cover holes for this Texas boy.  And, I hate corporate america too.  If I make it through corporate America, i should run for political office.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Run for your fucking life.
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Run for your fucking life.

Start sending out the resumes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

+1
Also, use the advice I give everyone and use myself.

No matter whether you like your boss or not - keep a notebook (at home!) and list the date/time of everything they screw up.  No matter what it is.  When the times comes that she screws the pooch big enough to get her in some trouble, drop the notebook off to her boss annonymously.  That will give them the ammo to get rid of her much easier.

Until that happens, use the advice of DrFrige
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#21]
donkey punch.
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 12:29:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 4:49:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Get out your corporate policies manual. What does it say in there about sick time, sick time over a certain number of days, notification, doctor's note, etc. Make sure you are 100% covered and correct on all the details that HR is going to ask about. If you're the solid one and she's the shaky one, that problem, at least, will resolve in your favor.

Then it's time to get your resume out.

It's probably based on some policy that no one has followed closely.  My company requires for you to file the "sick leave" paperwork before you enter the hospital for surgery and so on - the procedure for entering from the emergency room is vague, at best.  I was in the hospital for 10 days last summer and back to work before the paperwork for the mandatory leave caught up with me!
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 4:50:59 AM EDT
[#24]
FMLA?   WTF?   Stoopid bitch.

Was she just trying to make a point - that you'd stayed out too long?
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 5:13:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Do some researh.  Family Medical Leave Act is a good thing.

If you are sick for extended periods of time, or a family member is sick for an extended period of time and you need to care for them, it protects you.

Under FMLA if you need regular medical care or you need to take a family member for medical care, THEY HAVE TO APPROVE the sick leave request.  It is federal law.

Really... do some research.  I bet it was HR that is the driving force in the FMLA.
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 5:20:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I had to fill out the same paper work when I was out for pneumonia last year
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 5:44:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Here is my best advice.  Next time you have strep you get all clingy and need to vist your boss often and keep coming to work.  Make them send you home
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 5:49:18 AM EDT
[#28]
While you're out, update your resume. Then get the fuck out ASAFP.

I have NO problem working for women that are adequately qualified. I did for years while I lived in PRK and had ZERO problems with it.

The I moved to AZ and worked for a company that was rampant with "friend" nepotism. There was a woman there who'd been with the company for a number of years and had become a fairly close friend of one of the owners. I didn't work directly with her at first so I was blissfully unaware of her shortcomings.

The owners, trying to rescue a dying company because ALL THEIR FRIENDS RUNNING THE PLACE WERE BLITHERING INCOMPETENTS, hired a person (a female) from a large company who had extensive background in personnell management/sales. She was sharp as a tack.

The FIRST thing she does is is get rid of dead weight. Demotes a couple of people. Cut out some fat in the company structure. Cool. She's showing she knows what she's doing-all her moves look OK to me. (I'd worked for a couple of Fortune 100 companies, had seen and studied the inner workings) One of the pieces of dead weight was the owner's friend.

Fast forward a few months and NOTHING the new woman has put in place is working, mainly because the "friends" network just will not change and the owner of the company is reluctant to force them to do so. So the woman hired to help straighten the place out resigns. Instantly, people get their old job titles back, and a couple of people that were laid off get hired back. Including the owner's friend. This time, they make her MY boss.

In the span of a couple of weeks I understand FULLY why this woman was laid off by someone that recognizes incompetence. She doesn't answer voice mails. People that call back are pissed off because no one returned their call and I have to handle it because "You're good at this sort of thing". She'd make mistakes on the little amount of work she'd do and then try to blame it on me-even though HER INITIALS WERE CLEARLY ON IT. See where this is headed to? I also had a great attendence record and one time got a throat infection and missed 4 days. Had a doctor's note, the whole works. She called after the third day and threatened to fire me if I didn't get back. Why? BECAUSE SHE SUDDENLY HAS TO WORK.

Things went rapidly downhill from there and my problem was HER boss was also her best friend and I had no one to voice my complaints to. It got to the point where, in a meeting, I was asked by HER boss if she( his and the owner's friend) was qualified to be my boss.

My answer: "Well, you and I know that she has NO prior experience in this field, except for the fact that she'd been a stewardess (I meant it as an insult-I usually call them flight attendants) for a few years, and she's excellent at making the owner's flight arrangements for him. After working with and for her for the past 3 months, I fully understand why Catherine laid her off. As far as I'm concerned she's about qualified enough to be the receptionist".

Well, you can tell how long I lasted after this meeting. Good thing I'd already found another job.
The day before I was gonna give my 2 weeks notice they fired me.  As I took my final paycheck from her hand I told her and her boss, "Cool-now I can go find a job at a REAL company, not a fucking Mickey Mouse outfit like this. And if you smear me to anyone that calls for a reference I'll lawyer up so fast it'll make your heads spin".

They'd hired a guy to "help" me-actually replace me-a couple of weeks beforehand. Problem was, because my boss was so busy fucking off, talking on the phone and playing on the internet, I had very little time to train him because I was so busy. I was looking in the paper a few weeks later and breezed through the want ads and noticed that the company that fired me was again looking for someone to fill that position. In fact, I started kinda keeping track of it and every 3-4 months they'd run the ad again-I guess they were having a bit of a problem, huh?

The company finally had to restructure under bankruptcy, move and re-name some of it's product. I drove past their new facility recently when I was in the neighborhood and it looks as though they're hanging on by a nail.
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 5:49:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Maybe security will see that bag of dope on her carseat. $35 and your problem is solved.
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 5:50:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Staying out 6 days. I would be upset with an empolyee. You better be in hospital.
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 5:50:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Patty

+1

Confront her in a very professional manner.

CMOS
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 5:58:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Her advice is good.  Take it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Two words:

Penis Envy
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 6:08:42 AM EDT
[#34]
1] Don't work for a woman.
They can't handle power, have piss poor leadership skils and are all emotional wrecks. IOW, get a better job.

2]Fill out the forms and get your money. CYA.

3]6 days for Strep? WTF
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Once you go past 5 days you can file for short term disability. This allows your company to pay you in full and collect the money from insurance guarantees of disability. Depending on how long you are with the company will determine the amount of short term disability to which you are entitled.
Your boss should not have contacted you if you indeed have a human resources department. It is the responsibility of HR to have any contact with you in any matters of extended leave. It is not for your protection but rather for the protection of the company. They become liable if, for instance, if your boss puts undue pressure on you and you have a relapse or your condition worsens because of the stress.
You have a complaint to HR. Now whether they are willing to do anything or they are as impotent as most HR departments is another story.
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Patty

If you confront her about your abilities it's not going to matter
how you do your job. You will have a target on you from then on.
Most women aren't like men. They don't understand being direct.
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 6:41:14 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

If you confront her about your abilities it's not going to matter
how you do your job. You will have a target on you from then on.
Most women aren't like men. They don't understand being direct.

Agreed. Recipe for disaster that is.
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 6:43:59 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

+1 I hope she looks like Demi
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 6:46:17 AM EDT
[#39]
If you have not used all your sick time I would ask HR as to why you need to fill out that paperwork...It sounds like you are on her hit list though and it is probably just a matter of time. I worked for a woman like that one time I got the hell out before she had any say in it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 6:51:33 AM EDT
[#40]
I went through this BS for 5 1/2 years at Verizon.

Trust me, either transfer out from under her (at which point she'll slander you so you can't get promoted), or find another job.

I found another job about 5 months ago, and I can't believe the difference.  I have lost 15 pounds (good thing), I sleep through the night, and I love going to work.

Trust me on this one.  Get out now.  When a man is an jerk, he usually is lazy and juvenile.  When a woman goes bad (I have had this happen twice), they tend to make it their personal mission to make your life miserable.  All the while (and unbeknownst to you), they are slowly slandering you to their peers.  They do this so if you ever complain about their behaviour, you have no credibility and so you cannot transfer out from under them (who wants to hire a problem?).

GET OUT NOW.
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 7:29:28 AM EDT
[#41]
I surprised your boss would mention FMLA after being out only a few days. I'm not sure what your comapnies policies are for sick time. Most larger companies have about 10 sick days for employees to cover short-term illness. If your company does not that may be why she mentioned FMLA.

Justo to provide some clarifications of incorrect information provided in other posts.

The mere mention of FMLA would indicate your company has enough employees to be required to follow FMLA guidelines.

For someone to qualify for FMLA they must have worked 1250 hours in the previous 12 months - if not their request can be denied. Someone said that all requests mus be approved - yeah provided all the conditions of the act are met if not a person is SOL.

FMLA provides up to 12 weeks of unpaid job protection for you or a family member that needs medical attention on an ongoing basis. Companies can require that you use your paid benefit time as part of the FMLA job protection. You could end up with all your vacation and sick time  Not all requests must be approved, they must meet FMLA requirements. Also, if your company believe you are jerking them around they can require, at their expense, a second medical opinion from a doctor of their choice.

Anyway the point of the clarification is that it is not as simple as asking and you're covered.

Here's a link to back up the information.
www.valuedesign.com/HRforms/DOLnoticeFMLA.htm

Link Posted: 3/26/2005 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Qustions that need to be answered before anyone can advise you legally:

1. how may sick days did you use
2. does the company track your sick time and is it on you pay stubb
3. what is the company's formal written policy on sick time accrual and sick time use
4. do you have a written statement from you boss saying that you can take this time off when you first got sick
5. is your employment at will
6. What is the phone number of the government agency that handles this sort of crap(and yes, there is one)
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Staying out 6 days. I would be upset with an empolyee. You better be in hospital.

You don't have may loyal employees, do you?
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I was out 3 days, came in to work Tuesday until I felt so shitty i had to go to the doc.  That's when he diagnosed me with strep, and then I was out until I went back on Friday
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#45]

Unless she finds another target, It only gets worse man.  You press the wrong button and you will either get fired or "investigated" for some BS infraction.

Its easier to find a job while you have one.

What are your transfer options?  Can you relocate or even find a new job in short order?
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#46]
1)  It no longer pays to stay with the same company for years on end

2) Working with a woman boss is like walking around puddles of gasoline with flint shoes on, many are threatened by a male presence and act accordingly (I was once fired because my boss had bad vibes..eeeew)

3)In reality, who is this person to you, if you feel that this person can make or break you as a human being, then there is a good chance that they knoiw that and know they can turn you into a quivering simpering sack of shit with just a word and get a kick out of it.  No Man or Woman should be able to make you shit your pants like this.  If you get fired, laid off, whatever, and end up sticking a gun oin your mouth, I think you were completely fucked to begin with.  If your world is completely shattered because someone gets hormonal and takes it out on you, you have a problem, not them.  

Learn, Adapt, Conquer, and F$%k those who try and hold you back.  Your company is making money on your labor, and does it's best to make sure that you stay a whiney, simpering, sniveling turd so it can keep profits up and costs down.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2005 9:36:10 AM EDT
[#47]
She FIRED ME TODAY!  I haven't been submitting my timesheet correctly (CONSIDERING I'M SALARY)  So, i didn't think the tool was important.  

Well, apparently it is.  I didn't submit vacation or personal time away from work the right way in the tool.  Well, Now I know.  

I asked for a lesser punishment, and will find out tomorrow if our director approves it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2005 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
She FIRED ME TODAY!  I haven't been submitting my timesheet correctly (CONSIDERING I'M SALARY)  So, i didn't think the tool was important.  

Well, apparently it is.  I didn't submit vacation or personal time away from work the right way in the tool.  Well, Now I know.  

I asked for a lesser punishment, and will find out tomorrow if our director approves it.

Get out now man....you're marked, and she's not going to stop until you're gone....

Even if you do get back in, she's going to be looking for anything to raise hell about..not worth it in my opinion
Link Posted: 3/28/2005 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Youi might want to talk to a lawyer about wrongful discharge, just an initial conversation (should be free) but if she screwed you over then let her (and the company that hired her) have it. Too many people wait too long after getting sacked only to realize that they could have gotten something out of the deal (or at least made jackass boss's life a living HR hell)

Be polite, be professional, document the shit out of everything and take the high road on the way out, but if you have a legal case, then drill her ass to the wall.

Link Posted: 3/28/2005 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Move on, it's a dead end no matter what the outcome  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top