Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2001 3:30:36 PM EDT
This is probably a really stupid question, but I must ask.  When I insert the mag into my M1A and then pull the op rod back, the bolt lock snaps in and locks the bolt back as it is supposed to do i'm sure.  However, the problem is that in an empty mag (I havent tried it with a loaded mag yet...havent had time to buy bullets) there seems to be no way to release the lock...  It functions normally when the magazine is not in the rifle, but it locks up when the empty mag is in.  Am I missing something???
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
As with most semi-auto weapons with a last round hold open feature, it is supposed to do that. You can release it with an empty mag inserted if you pull back on the bolt and press in the bolt lock on the left side of the receiver. There is an aftermarket replacement part that replaces the lock and allows for one handed operation similar to that on the ar15.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Push the follower down with your left thumb while pulling the op-rod back.  Let the op-rod travel forward over the mag follower and remove your thumb.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Rats Imbrog|io!!  4 Damm Seconds!!  Lousy 26k connection....
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah,  If I push down on the mag from the top and move the spring down I can glide the rod over... is that really the only way to do it though?  I thought that maybe I got a defective mag...
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#5]
The magazine is fine. That the way to do it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#6]
If you dont want to put your thumb in there, you could release the mag slightly (just press the release tab, and let it rock down slightly) and drop the bolt then.
You could just leave the mag out all together, and push the bolt release with your thumb in the event you want to keep the bolt opened. This way it'll drop the bolt every time.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
There is an aftermarket replacement part that replaces the lock and allows for one handed operation similar to that on the ar15.
View Quote

Could you tell me who sells this part?  I have wondered why the M14/M1A1 didn't have an extended bolt catch.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#9]
what kind of lubrication do you use on the M1A? Do you use grease like the garand? If so where do you put it?
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
There is an aftermarket replacement part that replaces the lock and allows for one handed operation similar to that on the ar15.
View Quote

Could you tell me who sells this part?  I have wondered why the M14/M1A1 didn't have an extended bolt catch.
View Quote

I think Brownells has it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 2:02:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
what kind of lubrication do you use on the M1A? Do you use grease like the garand? If so where do you put it?
View Quote

Yes. Grease it like a Garand.
Eric
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top