Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2001 11:08:59 AM EDT
My local shop has a Colt preban 20" that I'm thinking about getting.  I'm just wondering if anyone has any input on what I should look at before buying the rifle, just to make sure it's all happy.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Before even considering the firearm, consider the shop.  Is the place reputable?  Any complaints?  Are the prices known to be out of whack?  Any dissatisfied customers with a [i]legitimate[/i] gripe?

Next, move to the serial number and verify that it is a preban.  Also find out it's original configuration.  If the firearm turns out to be a parts gun, you may be able to dicker lower.

Then, get a look at the lower receiver.  Any dings?  Scratches?  Dents?  Funny discoloration?  

Take a look at the upper; look for the same things.  Check the carry handle, sites, etc.  Pop the ejection port cover; any funny dings on or around the ejection port?

Now, with the dealer's permission, open the weapon.  Take out the bolt carrier.  Inspect the chamber.  How's it look in there?  Check down the barrel.  Anything funny?  How are the (pardon my terminology) holes that connect the upper and lower receivers?

Get a look at the internal parts.  Are they AR-15 parts?  If so, how do they look?  While replacements aren't expensive, you should be able to get some money off if they're not up to par.  Are those parts the goofy Colt proprietary parts?  Is there a sear block?  If so, you may want to reconsider or try to get more off...

Oh, bring a clean cloth, a barrel light/small flash light, small piece of white paper, etc., to inspect.  Don't expect the dealer to do your legwork for you.

Oh, and if in doubt, [b]leave[/b].  There are always going to be more guns out there for other days.

Good luck!

Mike
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, I forgot to tell you that you might want to pick up a USMC technical manual.  It has a part on inspection of rifles.  Seeing diagrams, figures, and the explanations may assist you [b][i]immensely[/i][/b].

Mike
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 3:18:52 AM EDT
[#3]
First tell us what Model and how much. Then we will be able to help.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 5:30:25 AM EDT
[#4]
What gunshop is it at? If it's Wade's in Bellevue, I wouldn't bother.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top