Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2001 8:36:16 AM EDT
I think we should make a little list about how many personal freedom's our government has taken away (or is in the process of). This should be forwarded to everyone we know so people can open their eyes.

Who's first?
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#2]
A longer list would be "rights" that have been "granted" to us, even though they aren't contained in the constitution. Like a right to "privacy," freedon of "expression," a property right in welfare or jobs, the "right" to remain silent, right to abortions, the right to actions that don't infringe the "rights" of others, the right to own contraceptives, etc.

Don't forget "rights" we've just gotten the past 50-75 years, like right to jury trial, counsel, warrants in searches, from self incrimination, and cruel and unusual punishment (all in states).

Yeah, we've lost a lot of "rights" in the past 100 years. Unfortunatly, many don't realize we never had many of these "rights," or that other "rights" didn't even exist.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Wrong. I'm pretty sure all those rights you listed are in the Consitution. They're not spelled out, but they are included in "Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness" and "Due Process."

Example: Nowhere in the Consitution does it say a woman has the right to and abortion, but the Supreme Court ruled that outlawing it was an infringement on a woman's "liberty."
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty sure all those rights you listed are in the Consitution. They're not spelled out, but they are included in "Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness" and "Due Process
View Quote
First off, "pursuit of happiness" is in the declaration of independence, not the constitution: its not law. Yes, those things (in my second paragraph) are indeed in the constitution (the things in the 1st paragraph were made up by liberal courts). But they are in the bill of rights, which was not intended to apply to the states. Indeed, most did not apply to the states until the second half of the 20th century (some still do not, such as the 7th amendment, the 5th amendment right to indictment, the 8th amendment's "excessive bail or fine" clause, etc). Furthermore, it was ruled that abortion is a right inherent, but not listed, in the right to privacy, which was also not listed.

But all this is besides my point: Until the 1930s-now, most of the rights you think of as individual rights DID NOT EXIST. I offer this only to demonstrate certain rights you may have thought you've always had didn't even exist as late as 40 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#7]
James Brovard
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#8]
The list is long, but the ones that anger and frighten me the most are the ongoing assault on the right to keep and bear arms (big surprise), the presumption of innocence, and the destruction of search and seizure limitations.  Specifically, I'm angered about RICO based property confiscation laws that allow federal, state or local governments to seize property and assets on the ASSUMPTION that they are ill-gotten gains, then it is the accused's responsibility to PROVE it is NOT in order to get it back.  

The kind of power THAT gives the government is truly frightening.

Next on the list is the abuse of eminent domain powers to seize private land.

No wonder they want to disarm the populace.

Chucky Schumer SHOULD be afraid that a .50 BMG can punch through an armored limosine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Just checking for any group 1
violations.
Carry on.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#10]
[b]Rights?!?![/b]

Whatever the hell that means...

Rights, freedom, whatever... all definitively assume there is a power [b]granting[/b] them.

I don't have rights.  I don't want them.  I don't want some set of documents, Constitution or otherwise, itemizing my freedoms.  [b]i want liberty.[/b]

2 rules.

don't encroach on others and
do all you have agreed to do.  All else will fall into place
Zaz
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#11]
From a previous thread of mine, here's a list of Freedoms we USED to have.

------------------------------------------------
(please correct me where I am wrong)

In 1780, a man could:

1.  carry as much money as he wanted w/out fear of having it confiscated as drug money

2.  pay for something with as much cash as he wanted, today we are subject to reporting limits

3.  buy any drug, including cocaine and heroin w/o government approval, intervention, or laws

4.  buy and sell another human - a slave (granted, a bad thing)

5.  fill in his swamp w/o going to jail for a Wetlands violation

6.  burn brush on his own property

7.  built a house w/o permits or fees

8.  start a business w/out Zoning Board approval

[b]9.  buy ANY state of the art weapon available

10. equip his ship with state of the art cannons
[/b]
11. school his own children w/o fear of arrest or need for government approval

12. keep most of his wages - income tax wasn't allowed

13. make his own guns

14. make/buy explosives

15. challenge (legally?) a man to a duel to the death

16. Not have his property seized for alleged involvement in illegal activities

17. own a dog w/out permits, licenses and fees

18. discipline his own children

19. teach his children morals w/out the school undermining them

So, how much Freedom do we have left today?  Percentage or 1 to 10 scale, your pick.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top