Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2001 8:48:51 PM EDT
[img]http://www.remtek.com/arms/hk/mil/oicw/oicw.gif[/img]

Here's the URL:
[url]http://www.remtek.com/arms/hk/mil/oicw/[/url]

At least it's an HK.....    Got more links on it some where, will add as I find.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah!  
For $5 a month, you can belong to their website, too!
(Just kidding.)
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd hate to be the soldier who has to lug that thing around.  You think recruitment is low now wait till the general public see that heavy dumb looking thing.  I can understand wanting a weapon like that but lets try to scale it down a little.  The M16A2 is still a fine(cheap) weapon.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#3]
It doesn't look to me like it offers any great advantage over the M203/M16 system.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I can just hear the comments now.."Hey Sarge, got any batteries for this thing ?".."Hey! Where's the wall socket so I can plug my retractable cord into ?"

A 10" barrel for a .223 ? Might as well switch to 22LR.
Ammo is cheaper and lighter...and pure poison to squirrels..

In all seriousness..the rifle is a serious violation of the principle of K.I.S.S.
And because of that..many soldiers will die when the thing breaks or jams (if the pentagon is stupid enough to adopt it as their next service "rifle" (note the quotation marks..).

Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup,

That is the OICW (Objective Individual Combat Weapon).  Look in Popular Science or Popular Mechanics Archives, because they did a story on it.

If I remember correctly, it is a 20mm over a 5.56mm system.  The 20mm can be pre-set to airburst at several different ranges.  It also has advanced optics, etc., etc.

It is supposed to be used as an infantry support weapon, kinda like the BAR and SAW.

Urban ("I need one of THOSE!") Rifleman
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Oohps!

Didn't see the link until now.  Guess you already know all about it.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#8]
One of those 20mm rounds detonated while in the weapon during a test. If the weapon had been held by a soldier and not on a test stand, the soldier would have been killed. The 20mm round is armed and set for range electrically, so I wonder what will happen when an enemy figures out how to jam or set the round to detonate on firing, many a good man may die on our side.  

Sniper for Justice          

VINCE AUT MORIRE (Conquer or Die)
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#9]
If they ever get the bugs worked out of the thing I am going to be afraid. That 20mm stuff scares me, Besides who need fragmentation when you got a 20mm. I can see it now "these 5.56 rounds are not worth crap but these 20mm thing are the only thing knocking them down."

Six
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like a POS with all sorts of unnecessary bells, whistles & gizmos.  I mean, the thing is like a damn minivan.  Probably got a cupholder and a baby seat mounted on the other side of the 20mm launcher.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I know I'm showing my age, but in the sixties, when I was a kid, I had a toy called the Johnny Seven. It was a modular, multipurpose weapon that broke down into several seperate weapons.

Grenade launcher, pistol, rifle, and a whole bunch of other stuff that I can't remember.

I swear it looked almost identical to that thing.

Still see them for sale once in a while on E-bay.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd hate to be the soldier who has to lug that thing around.  You think recruitment is low now wait till the general public see that heavy dumb looking thing.  I can understand wanting a weapon like that but lets try to scale it down a little.  The M16A2 is still a fine(cheap) weapon.
View Quote

Ah, but have you seen the Colt version of the same concept? Looks just as bulky. The one good thing I can see about this idea is that you can fire more than one 20mm from the rifle (compared to the M16/M203) and that it has a center of gravity positioned behind the trigger.
I for one is no fan of front heavy rifles.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 1:43:51 AM EDT
[#13]
There are some militia types in Florida who have the very expensive thermal weapons sights (as shown on this weapon system) on their defensive weapons! Kind of levels the playing field, and the scum tyrants do not like that!

Link Posted: 6/28/2001 2:21:59 AM EDT
[#14]
It's not illegal at all to own thermal imaging sights( at least not yet), you just gotta have alot of $$. Besides, the 20mm air bursting munitions grenade launcher is the scary/deadly part of the gun (if they ever get it working properly).Thermal sights won't help defend against those grenades.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 2:45:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a gun like that in the 70's it was calle dthe SYSTEM 7 it did everything it even gave you a secret decoder ring. Does the OCIW?
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:05:24 AM EDT
[#16]
looks heavy as hell.  You would need to mount it to a golf cart to haul it around....hmmmm that gives me an idea!

Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:11:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I was watching Fox news on e afternoon and Neil Cavuto had someone on in his little finacial piece saying that this companies stock was going to do well because the US Military was going to upgrade to these new, get this, $25,000 weapons. Please tell me he misquoted the price.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:12:27 AM EDT
[#18]
[size=5][brown]Regular,  or decaf?[/size=5][/brown]
[rolleyes]

Looks like a POS with all sorts of unnecessary bells, whistles & gizmos. I mean, the thing is like a damn minivan. Probably got a cupholder and a baby seat mounted on the other side of the 20mm launcher.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:58:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was watching Fox news on e afternoon and Neil Cavuto had someone on in his little finacial piece saying that this companies stock was going to do well because the US Military was going to upgrade to these new, get this, $25,000 weapons. Please tell me he misquoted the price.
View Quote

Nope, you heard him right.  For comparison,I also heard that the current version of the M16 costs under $100 to produce (in bulk of course).  $25,000 for any small arm is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:59:48 AM EDT
[#20]
In the February issue of Small Arms Review, they had an excellent interview with L. James Sullivan, one of the designers of the AR15/M16.

He comes down hard on this thing.

"No matter how much the government spends or pushes to change technology in particular direction, it doesn't speed up innovation or fool Mother Nature"

"For starters, the size and weight limitions of the shell would need an explosive that is four times more powerful than any known explosives and the shrapnel material would have to be denser than any material on this planet just to equal the effect of the 40mm M203 round."

"The OICW will probably end up like the last boondoggle, the Advanced Combat Rifle...The program was a total failure. Cost $100 million, and they never tested technology that worked"
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:05:01 AM EDT
[#21]
BTW, doesn't this thing bear a remarkable resemblance to the "M41A Pulse Rifle" in the Aliens movie?

Looks like someone has been watching too many movies.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:11:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I wonder if the mall ninja has one of these things yet. That 20mm airburst grenade would be perfect to break up those high schoolers tailgating at the back of the parking lot.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#23]
One man one rifle, that wins wars, not one nerd one ociw. Need an engineering drgree to use or clean it, oh is this a self cleaning weaopon?
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:56:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Wait a minute, lose the flash suspressor and it would be legal in PRNJ!
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
At least it's an HK
View Quote

this concept is, but i dont think the production versiuon is. i had a link to the site of the builder. it was a cool site. they make a LOT or weaponry, tank shells and misseles and stuff.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I saw those on this HK site.  The bottom gun is a 223, and the big thing on top shoots 20 mm shells.  Whats neat about the gun is that the scope has a computer in it, which calculates when the 20 mm shell has to explode.  It is supposed to explode over the person's head, or on the other side of a wall, and the goal was for it to put the person out of action 50% of the time.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top