Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2005 3:06:25 PM EDT

I am getting married in May and I am wondering should I invite my direct boss and direct co workers? We are not close and talk about nothing but work. The only reason he knows I am getting married is because I had to ask for time off for my honeymoon.

I don't hate my bosses or coworkers, but we are not friends. I go to work and all we discuss is work. I eat lunch by myself too.

I work at a Department of Energy National Lab and my bosses and co workers are very liberal physicists. We have nothing in common other than work and can not talk about anything else without there being a clash of ideologies.

In fact I got such a strong impression of there liberalistic view the first day of work I made a point not to discuss much, I don't want to create a clash. One of my bosses said he was so far left that he could have been a communist.

I don't feel comfortable around them, but I will invite them if it is the proper protocol.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Nah.

ETA: IBTP
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#2]
No, as you said you don't talk to them much about anything else other than work but if you invite them to your wedding they will start asking personal questions then you will clash, which is what you said you wanted to avoid. If you invite them and they start talking to you on a personal level don't get angry.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Nah.

ETA: IBTL

Why will this thread get locked?

This is a real question that is eating me up, my fiance and I are clashing over it. I don't want them there, but she thinks I should but will understand if I don't invite them because it will ruin the day for me.

My mother will make my grooms cake and I wanted her to make me a MAC 10 or AR15 cake, but I cant have that with work people there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally i would, who knows you might score points.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Only if you want to look like a suckup.

No, do not. Avoid. Road unpaved ahead, Minefield, chemical spill ahead, bridge collapse... Get the hell off this road.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nah.

ETA: IBTL

Why will this thread get locked?

This is a real question that is eating me up, my fiance and I are clashing over it. I don't want them there, but she thinks I should but will understand if I don't invite them because it will ruin the day for me.

My mother will make my grooms cake and I wanted her to make me a MAC 10 or AR15 cake, but I cant have that with work people there.

My bad, I meant IBTP.

Do what you want to do. They don't matter. You, your family and frineds matter.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Reverse the question:  Would you want to be invited to Suzy Cubicle's wedding?  Buy her a gift?  Sit there during some ceremony for a religion you don't practice  (She's Wompish and you're a Mangolorian)?  Make small talk with her drunk Uncle when your wife goes to powder her nose?  Nah, didn't think so.

G23c  
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

<SNIP>

I don't hate my bosses or coworkers, but we are not friends. I go to work and all we discuss is work. I eat lunch by myself too.

I work at a Department of Energy National Lab and my bosses and co workers are very liberal physicists. We have nothing in common other than work and can not talk about anything else without there being a clash of ideologies.

In fact I got such a strong impression of there liberalistic view the first day of work I made a point not to discuss much, I don't want to create a clash.  ...<SNIP>

This part of your post is FULL of clues of why you had enough of a gut feeling to poll this.  Based on this quote, I wouldn't invite them, but go on afterward like it was natural not to invite them.  I doubt you'll get pressed for it, as in, "How come I wasn't invited?" but if you do, act as though you are taking the high road by "never mixing my personal life with my life at work."  Liberals are generally gullible enough for you to pull this off, but, as always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I invited my boss and coworkers to my wedding, but we're all friends and get along rather well.  Your situation sounds quite different.  If I was in your position, I wouldn't invite them.

I honestly don't know if there is any standard protocol for weddings and coworkers.  Maybe you should post this in the womens forum.  If anyone knows, it'll be one of them.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes.  Boss won't come, but will bet you a present.
That's how I've always seen it work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top