[#1]
the tolls will kill you
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:39:36 AM EDT
[#2]
What tolls?

Toll roads? Taxes?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#3]
southbound on I 95 you pay like $6 in a 5 mile span.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:11:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Ahhh, but the girls at Dewey Beach make up for any other Bullshit.  

They are Sooo friendly and cute.......
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

They can make you pay a state toll on a Federal highway?  
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Suburban out of control sprawl and one of the highest cancer rates in nation.  Thank the chem companies and the GM/Chrysler paint factories in Newport.  Wilmington is a toilet  and slower delaware is backward-ass.  The beaches are the fag riviera.

Other than that - it's a great place to be from.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They do that everywhere...NYS Thruway, NJ Turnpike, OH Turnpike, Chicago Tollway, etc.

Plus all the bridges, etc.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should get out more
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Get EZPass... its a bitch being caught with no real cash to shell out the expensive toll.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Like every other state, there are good places, and bad places. It's small enough that you can work where you need to, and live in a very nice area.

They have CCW (but it is not shall issue), and very mild gun control laws, especially compared to the two states to their east and west: MD and NJ.

Cost of living is a bit high, but not like CT, NY, or NJ.

Winters are fairly mild. A whole lot warmer than where you are now.

Where exactly would your work be located?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#11]
As Wayne Campbell said....."Delaware.......what's in .....Delaware?"

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:03:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
They have CCW (but it is not shall issue), and very mild gun control laws, especially compared to the two states to their east and west: MD and NJ.

But its so damn small you pretty much have to travel to another state to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#13]
DelAware.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Where exactly would your work be located?

Not sure. I'm trying to decide whether or not to even send this recruiter a resume.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Delaware does not exist.  No one lives there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Great if you live in Wilmington and your pissed about getting credit card junkmail all the freaking time so now you can drive 15 minutes to their HQ and punch the mudda fugger in charge out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#18]
It's a great place to incorporate. Up there with Nevada. Other than that...uh....where's Delaware again?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that steams me.  We have paid for them once, right?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I grew up 4 miles from the Delaware border, in Pennsylvania.

No idea about income or property taxes.  However, there is no sales tax.  Taxes on other stuff like gas and booze are low, compared to neighboring states.  

Yes, there are beaches.  Dewey and Rehoboth.  One is more known for the "alternative lifestyle" crowd.    The other is pretty good, regardless.   Used to spend some time at the Rusty Rudder bar down in Dewey when I was younger.  The Delaware shores are plagued by the fact that they are near a lot of outlet malls.  The traffic is horrendous, but then again you can say the same thing about the NJ beaches.

The University of Delaware is a good school.  Not top tier, but a good solid state school.  There's also Delaware State University.

I would not want to live within the city limits of Wilmington.  There is some nightlife/culture, but Philly is better and it's only 30 mins away.  Not sure about Newark, which is mostly a college town with the University.  

Delaware is not shall-issue (like PA).  However, despite the rather long list of things you have to do to apply for a CCW, it is basically shall issue in that if you jump through all the hoops (safety class, etc.) then you'll get a permit.   No Class 3.  Instant check on all guns, no waiting period.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But its so damn small you pretty much have to travel to another state to shoot.

I'm a member of a Club that has members in Delaware.  They come up here to shoot.

Plus Delaware is NOT a Free State.  Almost no NFA except for AOW.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#22]
It's east of the Mississippi River, and even that is too far east for my tastes.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Lived in DE for many years and moved to MD about 10 years ago. Live just outside Newark DE.
What do you want to know:

High cost of living, real estate etc. No sales tax but property tax is high and state income tax is high.
Democrats everywhere ie Joe Biden the worthless bastard :-)
Nowhere to shoot save Ommelanden state range with range Nazi's all over the place.

having said that, shoot me an email if you have specific questions or whatever and maybe I can help you out.

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Please edit the post and spell Delaware correctly.  It's killing me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Please edit the post and spell Delaware correctly.  It's killing me.

Is that better?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I live in Southern PA and work in Newark, DE.  Not a bad place to live.  I moved here from Orange County CA about five years ago-and I love it here.  Had a job offer in Richmond VA last year and turned it down.   I am about 21 miles door to door work to home.  Commute is 35 minutes everyday all day no traffic jams no freeways.  The only time I pay tolls is when I have to go to Baltimore or below and that is for the tunnels only.  I know of a way around paying a toll crossing the Sussequehana.  It is only five miles out of my way.  If you have an AR,AK or anyother sport utility rifle stay away from MD and NJ.  Only pain in DE is no full auto, not that I can afford it , but it is nice to have the option in PA.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#27]
My In-laws own a home on the bay (not the Chessie).    

No malls near by,  Dover's down the road about 10 miles, Rehobeth is about 20 miles away.  We stayed in wilmington when we were out for our nephews funeral last june.

Plenty of toll stations on the way down to bowers and back to wilmington.    We had an ezpass tho.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top