Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2005 10:57:11 PM EDT
who needs a CD when you can get 3.25% interest on your savings account! no minium balance etc online only unless you live near an actual bank.

www.emigrant-direct.com/
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I can get better then that here, the title pawn place has a saving type account that pays nice interest.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Heard about this on O'reilly.  Sounds pretty good.  Too bad I don't have the capital to deposit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#4]
He is doing MUCH better now!  Thank you for asking.

I'm filling out the information for this bank.  I will post again how it goes through.  I belive it works with ACH to take money from your checking and it is put into your account this way.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:06:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone  have more info on accounts with pawn or check-cashing places?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#6]
What is pawn?

they do just take out of your checking account.  just have to wait 2-4 business days for them to deposit 2 small transactions in my checking account.  verify those like a paypal account.  and I'm collecting 3.25% interest :)  

sure beats the .4% I was making at first national bank
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Member of FDIC?  Edit - I see they are.  Wow!

However, I still won't be signing up as I can invest at approximately 10% rate of return or pay off my home loan which earns Countrywide 7.75% in interest per year.

J.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not allowed to look at pawn at work.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#9]
yes member of FDIC they compete with hte orange savings account from ING
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#10]
At first glance, I thought this was another hit and run spamming ...
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Is this really legit?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#12]
yes.  You can view them at ratebank  they advertise there often and compete with ING it appears.  higher interest for savings accounts then ING's orange savings account.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is this really legit?

Sure.  Inflation this year will be about 2.5%, so why not 3.25%?  Considering how bad banks will ass rape someone on a CD, that's pretty good.  If you don't need access to the money, there are much better investments however.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I just fired off an e-mail to ING seeing if they are going to stay competive.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just fired off an e-mail to ING seeing if they are going to stay competive.

That's what I am afraid of.  Banks offering a great rate as such are typical for doing it short term to attract investors, then dropping it back down.  If I weren't so lazy I would check on their history.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow barely keeping pace with inflation, no wonder cds are called certificates of depression
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#17]
tag
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#18]
While in this discussion, I'll mention two sites that  I have found useful in the past.

1.  Bankrate.com : good for searching for loans, credit cards, CDs, etc. Has good advanced search features.

2.  finanace.yahoo.com : great place to check out a stock, look at its history, and set up alerts if you have a Yahoo email address (free).  

Jim
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Wow barely keeping pace with inflation, no wonder cds are called certificates of depression

Yep - When I glanced at the chart for my bank the other day (not that I would ever invest in a CD), I think they were returning a collosal 1.4% for anything less than 2 years
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep - When I glanced at the chart for my bank the other day, I think they were returning a collosal 1.4% for anything less than 2 years

I just looked at my FCU and they are paying ZERO.35% on savings.
No wonder people dont save.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I have an ING Direct Orange Savings Account, and I have had no problems.  I recommend them.  It takes 2-3 days for transactions to go between accounts, but it's a hell of a lot faster than a CD.  

Currently at 2.6%.  MUCH better than the 0.5% I was getting at Bank of America.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep - When I glanced at the chart for my bank the other day, I think they were returning a collosal 1.4% for anything less than 2 years

I just looked at my FCU and they are paying ZERO.35% on savings.
No wonder people dont save.

Yet I know people that continue to use savings accounts, CDs, and EE Bonds as their main investment strategy.  I guess that's what happens when banks and mutual fund companies are who teach this country about money.  I'd trust my banker for financial advice about as far as I'd trust an encyclopedia salesman to evaluate my need for encyclopedias.....
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
 MUCH better than the 0.5% I was getting at Bank of America.  

Getting gouged in the eye and clocked in the balls is better than Bank of America.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I got a reply from ING:

Dear deleted,

ING DIRECT does not base rates on one competitor, we base them on overall
market conditions as well as on our competition.  

Even though another bank may currently offer a higher rate, we feel that we
offer the better deal for several key reasons.

ING DIRECT has consistently paid one of the nation?s highest yield with no
fees and no minimums for more than 4 years.  We have a low cost business
model that allows us to continue to offer these high rates over the long
term.  

ING DIRECT's privacy policy exceeds government standards.  We have an opt-in
policy, which means that we do not share private Customer information with
affiliates and other third parties without express permission from our
Customers.  Other banks may share this type of Customer information
automatically, unless the Customer tells them not to.

ING DIRECT has Sales Associates who are thoroughly trained on all of ING
DIRECT?s products answering the phone.  Our Customers can always speak to
a ?person?.  ING DIRECT Sales Associates strive to answer the phone in 20
seconds or less to provide an excellent Customer experience.

If you are simply looking for a higher rate, keep in mind that we also offer
CDs which earn as high as 4.15% APY depending on the term that you select.

If you have any more questions, give us a call 1-800-ING-DIRECT.

Thanks for your interest in ING DIRECT,

Dave

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#25]
emigrant direct still seems to be the best for a savings account.  I think if one that came out much better I could always switch :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top