Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2005 6:54:28 PM EDT
So...I went into NJ today to visit soem old friends. It all starts off with a trooper pulling out from the median on Route 95 after I passed him going slightly over the speed limit. No big deal, I got over into the slow lane, behind an 18 wheeler, where I was less obvious....took the next exit just the the trooper was making his way up to me.

On to Montgomery!

Do you guys have this in your state? There was a spot inspection (supposedly DMV) on route 206.
Cops were standing in the middle of the road controlling the flow of traffic, and randomly waving vehicles into a lot, that was set up as an impromptu inspection station. Under the guise of DMB regulations, the local police were taking the opportunity to ask people where they were going, where they were coming from, what was in their vehicle, etc.

Seems a bit.....I dont know....intrusive we'll say, to stop a car WITH A VALID INSPECTION STICKER and subject it (arbitrarily) to an inspection.

Maybe its me, but unless I miss my guess, this is just another example of the local authorities flexing their muscle, reminding the civilians that we are at their mercy, and the probable cause is a myth.

I could go on, but I wont.....more threads coming, on this wonderful day in the PRoNJ!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#1]
It fails the duck test.....or in this case the BS test (looks like BS, sounds like BS, it's BS).

Although, I am sure that NJ statues give them the authority to perform these random "inspections".  And if it's on the books, it must be right.....right?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Something similar happened to me in Massachusettes. I asked "Why" and was told to get out of my car. Then they wanted to search it, and I said no. I was threatened with being arrested for "disturbing the peace". By then I was pissed, but still polite, and said "Okay". Then the guy talked to some supervisor, came back, told me in effect that I was unpatriotic, and let me go.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure you were in NJ
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Something similar happened to me in Massachusettes. I asked "Why" and was told to get out of my car. Then they wanted to search it, and I said no. I was threatened with being arrested for "disturbing the peace". By then I was pissed, but still polite, and said "Okay". Then the guy talked to some supervisor, came back, told me in effect that I was unpatriotic, and let me go.

Mass. State Trooper?  I wouldn't put anything past them.

<Colorful expletives withheld out of respect for the 95%+ of LEO's that earn respect every day.>
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sure you were in NJ

That a question?
I am confident of what state I was in today....currently I am in a state of inebreation...and still very annoyed at my experience in NJ today. Damn I hate going back home
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Unpatriotic?!  RIIIIGGGHHTT!

Fuck that Jack-Booted-Thug and the horse he rode in on.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sure you were in NJ

It would probably help if you came out of your parent's basement once in a while.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Like the pro union guy said about the Marine thing in Detroit  "rules are rules"
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup.. been there, done that. Once I had a broken headlight.. thankfully they didn't pull me over... they would have given me a ticket, for sure.

Its worse the more east you go, I tend to find the western part of NJ the best..
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#10]
My B-I-L lives up there, he said they have a lot of inspection stickers stolen and sold on the black market for vehicles that don't make inspection. Maybe that's why they do that.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#11]
We don't have a vehicle inspection law here.

But they plan to ban smoking in restraunts and bars!

Cops will be setting up inspection points to see if you
are carrying cigs on you. Legal to have them just can't
smoke them.

Oh, well.

Move along.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My B-I-L lives up there, he said they have a lot of inspection stickers stolen and sold on the black market for vehicles that don't make inspection. Maybe that's why they do that.

Not only that, garages are liscened to inspect cars. If you're really good friends with one of the mechanics.. he can easily have you 'pass' through inspection.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Can someone explain what an "inspection law" is?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Par for the course in NJ.  I got pulled over for one back in 92.  They inspect your car no matter what your sticker says.   It's a fishing expedition, and it's one of the reasons i am currently posting from CO.

/NJ LEO/ Veah aaar your papazz?/NJ LEO/
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:17:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Depending on your states reg's, a list of equipment on your vehicle has to meet certain minimum standards..brakes, tread depth, etc.

*post contains personal opinion only*
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:21:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depending on your states reg's, a list of equipment on your vehicle has to meet certain minimum standards..brakes, tread depth, etc.

*post contains personal opinion only*

Lets not forget the most dreaded and feared test....emissions controls!
I was so glad I had out of state tags, and they just waved me on by.

Got me wondering though...If my truck could pass inspection in my state, but not in another (due to differences in the laws)...could that state impound my vehicle for being unsafe, even if it was legally inspected in my home state?

Im guessing that if it could happen, it would happen in NJ
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:23:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So...I went into NJ today to visit soem old friends. It all starts off with a trooper pulling out from the median on Route 95 after I passed him going slightly over the speed limit. No big deal, I got over into the slow lane, behind an 18 wheeler, where I was less obvious....took the next exit just the the trooper was making his way up to me.

On to Montgomery!

Do you guys have this in your state? There was a spot inspection (supposedly DMV) on route 206.
Cops were standing in the middle of the road controlling the flow of traffic, and randomly waving vehicles into a lot, that was set up as an impromptu inspection station. Under the guise of DMB regulations, the local police were taking the opportunity to ask people where they were going, where they were coming from, what was in their vehicle, etc.

Seems a bit.....I dont know....intrusive we'll say, to stop a car WITH A VALID INSPECTION STICKER and subject it (arbitrarily) to an inspection.

Maybe its me, but unless I miss my guess, this is just another example of the local authorities flexing their muscle, reminding the civilians that we are at their mercy, and the probable cause is a myth.

I could go on, but I wont.....more threads coming, on this wonderful day in the PRoNJ!

WELCOME TO NJ!

I lived in Bergen County for a long time and right before I left, it started getting very bad. We had "DMV" inspection stations set up on the side of roads (local roads) where cops waved you in for an inspection. One summer, I read in the paper that over 1000+ cars were routed in the parking lot of a hotel for "Random" vehicle safety and emissions inspection.

They want your car to fail so you buy a new one.

Funny thing is, this logic would work in SE MI where the Big 3 would like to see nothing more than people buying their cars... but there's no safety/emissions inspection... yet (The Liberals will see an end to that.... )

I moved out of NJ and never looked back. I'm not saying MI is perfect, but it's a huge step up from NY, PA, NJ, MA, etc... The only reason I would go back to the Northeast part of the US is if I were to attend classes at MIT, Princeton, Columbia, Yale, Harvard, Cornell, or Dartmouth.

AFAIK, NJ is not a shall-issue CCW state either. Only LEOs and ex-LEOs carry, I heard security personnel have a hard time getting CCWs.

Long guns require purchase permits and most local municipalities REJECT permits for long guns because why do people need evil long guns when they have LEOs defending them? The DEA guy that shoots himself in the foot with a Glock comes to mind...
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:42:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Go to the PA State Police website...
They themselves refer to their organization as "PARAMILITARY"
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:58:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:13:04 AM EDT
[#20]

I moved out of NJ and never looked back. I'm not saying MI is perfect, but it's a huge step up from NY, PA, NJ, MA, etc

Not sure why you are lumping PA in that group??
I moved out of NJ 2 years ago and LOVE Pennsylvania. I now enjoy the right to carry a handgun whenver I want and other freedoms I never had before, like being able to shoot my AK47 in the backyard or using hollow point ammo for home defense. Ah, did I mention I can take full advantage of the 94 ban ending while our poor brothers in NJ are still under that stupid state ban Florio imposed???

I'll take PA any day of the week...thank you very much.

Did I mention PA is a class 3 state as well?  

PA does not belong in that list of yours...not yet anyway.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:22:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I moved out of NJ and never looked back. I'm not saying MI is perfect, but it's a huge step up from NY, PA, NJ, MA, etc

I moved out of NJ 2 years ago and LOVE Pennsylvania. I now enjoy the right to carry a handgun whenver I want and other freedoms I never had before, like being able to shoot my AK47 in the backyard or using hollow point ammo for home defense. Ah, did I mention I can take full advantage of the 94 ban ending while our poor brothers in NJ are still under that stupid state ban Florio imposed???

I'll take PA any day of the week...thank you very much.

Did I mention PA is a class 3 state as well?  

PA does not belong in that list of yours...not yet anyway.

Exactly... not yet.

Parts of Philly are sh*tholes - not much different from Newark, NJ or Trenton, NJ or some "nicer" parts of Detroit. So if you don't live near SW NJ (Philly area), or the NE NJ area (NYC, Newark, ELizabeth) that leaves the southern and central part of NJ which is very very nice. However, you're still subject to BS vehicle and firearms laws. Last I checked, some PA counties wanted emissions inspection as well. They're also going to turn I-80 into a toll-road like OH. Don't get me started on that OH turnpike crap either...

I do apologize and will take PA out of my list!
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:23:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

They have uniforms, rank structure, etc. That makes them paramilitary in nature.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:25:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Lets not forget the most dreaded and feared test....emissions controls!
I was so glad I had out of state tags, and they just waved me on by.

Got me wondering though...If my truck could pass inspection in my state, but not in another (due to differences in the laws)...could that state impound my vehicle for being unsafe, even if it was legally inspected in my home state?

Im guessing that if it could happen, it would happen in NJ

I would say "no". You have to meet your state of records inspection  requirements, not every state you happen to pass through. Most of the big stuf is pretty common amongst the states as far as working equipment, etc, but there ARE differences.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:26:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Here's what I forgot to do:

Drive back to NJ, tune my car so that it blows out black smoke... attempt to pass emissions. Get the failure sticker. Peel it off throw it in their face. Remove NJ license plate and NJ inspection sticker - slap on MI license plate (no BS 2 license plates... one uglifying the front end of your car) and give them the finger.

But it would have required a 1200+ mile round trip to do that, and I just don't have the time for that.

They failed my 81 T-bird because a rear sidemarker was inoperative (it had a 194 bulb... most of your Streamlights and tactical flashlights are 300x brighter). Good luck finding a 1981 T-bird replacement sidemarker. So I cut off a piece of soft polymer, RTV'd it in place with a red lens tape on the inside. It looks almost like the real thing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:39:09 AM EDT
[#25]
metro...

I agree that there are bad sections in each state. Hell I grew up in Kearny, so I was right across the river from the cesspool called Newark. I thought you were comparing gun laws. A lot of people are worried about PA and the gun laws changing. I don't see it happening. What I am worried about though is all the poeple from NY and NJ moving into PA are bringing thier stupid voting ways with them. I hope I am wrong there. The Governor can try all he wants and so can that ass in Philly, but the most important thing going for PA is that the rest of the Government is pretty much pro gun/pro carry/etc.

10 years from now??? who knows. Let's see how many NJ/NY'ers are living here and voting PA the New Jersey/New York way. I hope the people coming here are like me -like minded, but the ones I see I doubt they are. Most are gang bangers moving into areas like the Poconos.

Ain't what it used to be, that much is certain.      
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:52:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Macro:

In PA on Route 286 in Westmoreland County I have been stopped twice at so called "safety inspections" put on by the PA State Police.  

I know they do them in Ohio.

They seem to be happening all over the country.

Seems like some new law enforcement idea.  Don't like them but I think like DUI checkpoints if you attempt to turn around and avoid it they will chase you down.  "Just making sure you are safe fine citizen, now why are you running away?  Something to hide?"
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:13:08 AM EDT
[#27]
So, what should your response be to "where are you going?" without coming across as a troublemaker?

"Sorry officer, I don't feel that's any of your business"?

"Just going about my business"?

"out and about"?

What's a good answer to basically tell Mr LEO to pound sand, without saying those exact words?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I used to have LOTS of fun with the cops in NJ.  I would like to take this opportunity to give a big FUCK YOU to Chief Thomas Sciaretta of the Bernardsville police department - I carry a gun full of evil hollowpoints everywhere, and there's fuck-all you can do about it.

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:29:19 AM EDT
[#29]
mobile tax collectors
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:37:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Hey QuietShooter,
So end the debate for me, is it Ber-nards-ville or Bern-erds-ville ?

I'm told if I call it Ber-nards-villes I am a poor, low life peasant.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:38:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Hey QuietShooter,
So end the debate for me, is it Ber-nards-ville or Bern-erds-ville ?

I'm told if I call it Ber-nards-villes I am a poor, low life peasant.

Exactly.  Bern-erds-ville is correct.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:49:12 AM EDT
[#32]
So those bastards were right then

Ever eat at the Bernardsville Inn? It's one place I have been wanting to take the misses too. They say that place can rival some of NY's finest 4 star restaraunts.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:52:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Illegal registry of handgun owners for nearly 100 years.
No semi autos for hunting.
3 round capacity limit at state game/public target ranges.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:58:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
So those bastards were right then

Ever eat at the Bernardsville Inn? It's one place I have been wanting to take the misses too. They say that place can rival some of NY's finest 4 star restaraunts.

Yep.  I don't think it's THAT good, though it is good.  I used to live about a mile up Mendham Road from there.  My favorite places to eat in Bville were Buona Pizza (say hi to Vito, Mario, and AnneMarie) -best pizza in the world and you can still buy it by the slice...the Brass Penny in Gladstone (no longer in business) and this place whose name escapes me up the road a piece in Mendham (The Stable?  I don't remember.)
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:01:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Illegal registry of handgun owners for nearly 100 years.
No semi autos for hunting.
3 round capacity limit at state game/public target ranges.

Don't know anything about the first one.
At least PA lets you hunt with a rifle -NJ don't.
I never had a problem with the 3 round capacity. Ever been out on public gamelands. Some of these fucking idiots think they are Rambo, and to be honest sometimes I am wishing there was a 0 round limit.

I ain't saying PA is perfect, but compared to living my whole 35 years in Jersey, PA is like Eden.
I will NEVER forget the feeling I got when walking out my front door the first day I had a handgun  LEGALLY tucked away in my pants in PA.

CCW is important to me. It gives me an edge to protect my wife and kids. Registration and 3 round limits are nothing.

I can have a collapsible stock on my AR
I can have a flash suppresor on my AR
I can have a class 3 -if I could afford it-
I can have 30 round mags!!
I can own a real AK, not some butchered Jersey legal look alike.
I can hit 5 ranges all within 20 minutes of my house. Yes 5. In jersey the closest rifle range was over an hour away.
I can load my handgun with hollowpoint bullets
I can order from Ammoman -can't in Jersey
shall I go on??

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#36]
My 64y.o. retired Navy piolt pop got a ticket from a lady NJSP trooper last night.  He's driving his van on a rural 2 lane road, a car pulls in close enough that he can't see it in the mirrors.  Car stays there for 4 or 5 miles despite dad pulling to the side to let them pass.  Finally the trooper lights 'em up and pulls dad over.  She wrote him a ticket for "failure to maintaine lane" $85 and 2 pts.  No other violations were found.  He pulled over to allow a "tailgater" to pass.

He's ticked.  Went to the barracks last night right after getting the ticket to talk to the Shift Supv.  He's got the secretary typing his complaint on the form and making phone calls to his friends in NJ DA's office.  He doesn't give a crap about the fines/points but steaming about the "entrapment" and bogus ticket.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:33:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
My 64y.o. retired Navy piolt pop got a ticket from a lady NJSP trooper last night.  He's driving his van on a rural 2 lane road, a car pulls in close enough that he can't see it in the mirrors.  Car stays there for 4 or 5 miles despite dad pulling to the side to let them pass.  Finally the trooper lights 'em up and pulls dad over.  She wrote him a ticket for "failure to maintaine lane" $85 and 2 pts.  No other violations were found.  He pulled over to allow a "tailgater" to pass.

He's ticked.  Went to the barracks last night right after getting the ticket to talk to the Shift Supv.  He's got the secretary typing his complaint on the form and making phone calls to his friends in NJ DA's office.  He doesn't give a crap about the fines/points but steaming about the "entrapment" and bogus ticket.

NJ ain't the only state that does that.  The trying to push me along to get me to speed shit really makes me angry.  Me though, I don't pull over, I just set my cruise control to 10 miles under the limit.  Either they light me up pretty quick after or they pass.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:35:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

NJ ain't the only state that does that.  The trying to push me along to get me to speed shit really makes me angry.  Me though, I don't pull over, I just set my cruise control to 10 miles under the limit.  Either they light me up pretty quick after or they pass.

Hey asshole, write yourself a ticket for unsafe operation, or following too closely.  I'll hold my breath over here.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have uniforms, rank structure, etc. That makes them paramilitary in nature.

Yea, you know...like that other paramilitary organization...what's it called? Oh yea, the Girl Scouts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top