Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2005 11:44:13 AM EDT
A Co-worker's father was in the 82nd Airborne from 1967 to 1970, and was in Vietnam. He was just here a few minutes ago, and said he had 37 jumps. (Some in Vietnam)

I was just curious if there are any websites I might find other Vets that may have jumped with him, or were stationed with him during that time ???

TIA
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know where to verify that, but I remember reading something years ago stating that there were no airborne assaults in Vietnam.  This could be utter BS, but it sticks out in my mind.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
3 different jumps in Vietnam if I recall.

none by 82nd. I think they were in country 22 months total in Vietnam.

Jan68 - Dec 69 I think was the total time 82nd was in Nam and it was only 3rd brigade. the 505inf.

other sources say Feb 68 to March 69

ALL sources say only 3rd brigade was in Nam.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't know where to verify that, but I remember reading something years ago stating that there were no airborne assaults in Vietnam.  This could be utter BS, but it sticks out in my mind.

He did say he jumped over there, but said some never counted toward his jump count... He said that it didn't count because not all the guys jumped ?  (Sorry, but I didn't get all the details)
Not sure of the number of jumps in the hot zone as he called it, but he said two of his 35 or 37 jumps were not "official" jumps...
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He did say he jumped over there, but said some never counted toward his jump count... He said that it didn't count because not all the guys jumped ?  (Sorry, but I didn't get all the details)
Not sure of the number of jumps in the hot zone as he called it, but he said two of his 35 or 37 jumps were not "official" jumps...

That wouldn't matter.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe it was a pay hurt jump? Hollywood jumpo?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Delta Special Forces Third Squad?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Operation JUNCTION CITY took place from February to May 1967.

The 2nd Battalion, 503rd Infantry (Airborne), 173rd Airborne Brigade conducted a airborne assault vicinity of Katum RVN on 22 February 1967.

"On February 22d, 1967, paratroopers of the 2d Battalion, 503d Infantry, 173d Airborne Brigade, parachuted into a wide clearing in the jungle of War Zone C as part of Operation Junction City. Their mission was to form a blocking force near the crossroads hamlet of Katum, South Vietnam, to support a large-scale cordon and search by U.S. forces. The 780-man airborne task force was delivered in two sorties of aircraft from Bien Hoa Airbase. The personnel drop of thirteen C-130 Hercules aircraft arrived over Drop Zone Charlie at 9:00 a.m. General Jack Deane, Commander of the 173d Airborne Brigade, Lieutenant Colonel Robert Sigholtz, Commander of the 2-503d Task Force, and Sergeant Major Harold Proffitt led the jump from the first aircraft. A total of 778 troopers hit the silk in two passes over the small drop zone, settled to the earth, and began assembling without any enemy opposition. Thirty minutes later, ten heavy drop C-130s arrived and dropped six 105mm howitzers, four 4.2 inch mortars, six 81mm mortars, four 3/4-ton trucks, five jeeps, six M274 "Mule" vehicles, one trailer, and 3900 rounds of artillery and mortar ammunition. By 10:00 a.m. all men and equipment were deployed into blocking positions and the command post and artillery firebase were established. As units from the U.S. 1st and 25th Infantry Divisions, the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, and the 173d Airborne Brigade began closing the horseshoe around suspected Vietcong and North Vietnamese Army (NVA) positions, Operation Junction City became a series of small unit firefights for the paratroopers. On February 28th, the "Sky Soldiers" of the 173d overran the Vietcong Central Information Office, a key enemy propaganda facility. As the multi-divisional attack continued through mid-May, major battles raged around the horseshoe with three Vietcong regiments and one regiment of NVA regulars. Operation Junction City succeeded in driving major enemy forces from War Zone C across the border into sanctuaries in Cambodia. The operation was terminated on May 14, 1967. "

The 3rd Brigade of the 82nd Airborne Division served in Vietnam.  

"On 12 February 1968, the 3d Brigade was alerted for deployment to the Republic of Vietnam in response to the TET Offensive. After thirteen months, the Brigade had helped secure the region south of the DMZ and redeployed to Fort Bragg, North Carolina in March 1969, the only Brigade of the 82d Airborne Division to participate in the Vietnam conflict. "

The 3rd Brigade may (MAY) have conducted "proficency" jumps in Vietnam, but conducted no "combat jumps".

My father's experience as the Chief of Staff of the 101st Airborne Division in Vietnam was that they planned a lot of proficency jumps but "shit happened".

The only other US "combat jumps" in RVN were conducted by SF.

VIETNAM,   1967-71,  6 Operations (Junction City, Harvest Noon, Blackjack, Oregon, Blue Max, Teams -, RT Idaho (3) and the recon company commander, One Zero,  Storter  and Wisconsin),

LAOS, 1970,  1 Operation (Team Florida)

NORTH VIETNAM,  13 Operations (no names given),
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That would still go in his jump log.... and towards his count.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would still go in his jump log.... and towards his count.

Thats true. I did a jump in N Iraq in 91 with the Spanish and it counted. Not as a combat jump though.

CH-47 blast woo hoo
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I was in the 82nd from 74-78. There were more than a few senior NCOs that I knew of that served in Vietnam and they were awarded ARVN jump wings (worn above the right pocket).

IIRC, all they had to do was make a few qualification jumps in order to get their 2nd set of wings.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top