Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2005 10:10:54 AM EDT
the atlanta and detroit threads were interesting. and it sounds as if the problem areas and decay of these cities, and perhaps most large metro areas, is increasing rapidly and exponentially. what struck me is how hopeless it probably is for most of the people living in those areas. born into a rundown neighborhood, with drugs, crime, no pressure to better themselves...it seems as if the problem is only going to get worse. until they hit third world status. the numbers increase, the blight spreads, and all the government can do is throw more money at the problem (as long as they have it) to keep from open mayhem in the streets.

i started thinking about what type of life skills these people are learning as they grow up and it seems hard to find any. compared to a rural or suburban environment, i have a tough time seeing a benefit to city life for the less than affluent. at least in the country you can own some land...and maybe someday it will be worth something, even if jsut for your children. cost of livein is cheap. lots of ways to learn self reliance as well. take a job as a farmhand or whatever. probbaly even be able to grow enough food to get buy on. and with any gov handouts, it would seem like a life of luxury compared to living in the inner city.

how many in these detroit and atlanta war zones are unemployed? wtf do they do all day? it seems hard to beleive they are all hanging out at the art museum or library.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top