Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2005 7:22:21 AM EDT
My understanding of feral hogs is that they come from domestic pigs who escaped and lived off the land.  I was also under the impression that they have tusks, but I've never seen a domestic pig with tusks (granted, I haven't hung out with a lot of domestic pigs).  Also, what's the difference between a pig (feral or not), hog, and a boar?  Learn me....

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Pffft, city people.

Feral hogs are domesticated pigs that have turned wild.  As far as I know, hogs except for the javilena are not native to North America.  As far as I know all male hogs (boars) have tusks.  The domesticated ones that you see have had t hem cut out when they are young.  Usually this is done at the time they have their balls cut off (when they are weaned).

Definitions:

Boar:  Male hog
Sow:  Female hog

Pig:  Guy in a uniform parked behind you with flashing lights extracting revenue.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:31:57 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't want to touch one, do ya??

Feral is a word used to describe an animal that was once domesticated or came from domesticated stock, and is now living in the wild.  You can have feral cats, dogs, pigs, whatever...

Feral and domestic hogs can have tusks.

Boars are the males.  Sows are the females.  I think "hog" might refer to the size of the animal regardless of sex, but I'm not sure.  I'll let the FFA folks settle that one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Pffft, city people.

Feral hogs are domesticated pigs that have turned wild.  As far as I know, hogs except for the javilena are not native to North America.  As far as I know all male hogs (boars) have tusks.  The domesticated ones that you see have had t hem cut out when they are young.  Usually this is done at the time they have their balls cut off (when they are weaned).

Definitions:

Boar:  Male hog
Sow:  Female hog

Pig:  Guy in a uniform parked behind you with flashing lights extracting revenue.  

There you go.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#4]
This is all you need to know (well, this and the fact we need a movie forum)

And when you got your six pieces, you gotta get rid of them, because it's no good leaving it in the deep freeze for your mum to discover, now is it? Then I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a pisshead. You gotta shave the heads of your victims, and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggies' digestion.You could do this afterwards, of course, but you don't want to go simmerin' through pig sh*t, now do ya? They will go through bone like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig."

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Just to clarify....a feral hog is not usually some farmer's escapee. (although it could be, but it would still look domesticated)

In most cases, they've been wild for many many generations, especially in coastal areas.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Just remember, even a 'domesticated' hog can be a mean sumbitch.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Time to feed the hogs.

Deadwood style
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#9]
They are very small and docile....www.snopes.com/photos/animals/hogzilla.asp
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, since TRG posted one of his pics, I'll post one of mine.  TRG's looks to have quite a bit of Russian in it.  Mine looks like I bought it off a farmer, but I can assure you it was as wild as can be.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well, since TRG posted one of his pics, I'll post one of mine.  TRG's looks to have quite a bit of Russian in it.  Mine looks like I bought it off a farmer, but I can assure you it was as wild as can be.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=33441

They sure are good eating.  I think I would rather have a hog than a deer anyday.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#12]

You're always gonna have problems lifting a body in one piece. Apparently the best thing to do is cut up a corpse into six pieces and pile it all together...And when you got your six pieces, you gotta get rid of them, because it's no good leaving it in the deep freeze for your mum to discover, now is it? Then I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a pisshead. You gotta shave the heads of your victims, and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggies' digestion. You could do this afterwards, of course, but you don't want to go sievin' through pig shit, now do you? They will go through bone like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig."

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#13]

hogs except for the javilena

Javelinas are not in the swine family.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top